Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

Hello All:

We recently returned from our cruise on AOS out of San Juan. Here is the uncensored information.

When you first enter the "Building" where you check-in etc., you must pass through a metal detector and subject your carry ons to an X-Ray scan. This is the first and last scan of your belongings. Immediately to the left of this "security" area is a "Duty Free" liquor store.

If you purchase at the store, they will put your purchase in easily identifiable bags. Once you check-in, you are directed up a set of escalators and proceed directly to the ship - without being subjected to any additional scanning. Once on the ship, there is in fact a "Liquor Police Table" that is staffed. if you are carrying the distinctive Duty Free bags, they will be taken from you at this point.

To avoid having your liquor taken, remove your liquor from the distinctive bags (go to the bathroom if you feel conspicuous,) place in your carry on and discard the distinctive bags (unless you wish to also put them in your carry on as a memento.) Remember to smile as you pass the "Liquor Police Table."

If you follow these steps, you will be golden. Again this is for RCL pier.

Our inventory included: 1 bottle of Champaign, 1 Tequila, 1 Vodka and 1 Rum. For the "Do Gooders," we still managed to incur a $900 bar tab (2 people.) We primarily use the alcohol for our beach days. :p

The security on the ship at the ports of call was also friendly to alcohol smuggling. Hint: make sure you transfer your alcohol from the easily identifiable bottle that it came in to a more common beverage container before going through security.

Flames only help my tan! :D

When your morally flexible, life is so much more fun!

When you say RCL pier - is that the Pan American Pier? Also, I thought your carry on went through a scan when you re-board at each port? What did you carry your liquor in to the beach?:)

Hello All:

We recently returned from our cruise on AOS out of San Juan. Here is the uncensored information.

When you first enter the "Building" where you check-in etc., you must pass through a metal detector and subject your carry ons to an X-Ray scan. This is the first and last scan of your belongings. Immediately to the left of this "security" area is a "Duty Free" liquor store.

If you purchase at the store, they will put your purchase in easily identifiable bags. Once you check-in, you are directed up a set of escalators and proceed directly to the ship - without being subjected to any additional scanning. Once on the ship, there is in fact a "Liquor Police Table" that is staffed. if you are carrying the distinctive Duty Free bags, they will be taken from you at this point.

To avoid having your liquor taken, remove your liquor from the distinctive bags (go to the bathroom if you feel conspicuous,) place in your carry on and discard the distinctive bags (unless you wish to also put them in your carry on as a memento.) Remember to smile as you pass the "Liquor Police Table."

If you follow these steps, you will be golden. Again this is for RCL pier.

Our inventory included: 1 bottle of Champaign, 1 Tequila, 1 Vodka and 1 Rum. For the "Do Gooders," we still managed to incur a $900 bar tab (2 people.) We primarily use the alcohol for our beach days. :p

The security on the ship at the ports of call was also friendly to alcohol smuggling. Hint: make sure you transfer your alcohol from the easily identifiable bottle that it came in to a more common beverage container before going through security.

Flames only help my tan! :D

When your morally flexible, life is so much more fun!

Just booked AOS for later this year. Did you enjoy the ship/cruise?

Thanks!

I shall answer the two questions to my post in this one reply. Please forgive spelling errors, since I am doing this on my phone.

We LOVE AOS! This was our third time on AOS in about 4 years. While the ship is great, we actually book it for the Itin. It used to have one island every day. It now has one sea day (RCL needs the money we spend when we are a captive audience.) San Juan is a great place - we have now been there almost a dozen times. Our favorite island is St. Martin (French side of St. Maarten.) We enjoy our day on Orient Beach (far right side when you are facing the water - which will mean something to those who have been there before.)

The ship is well taken care of. The service is great. The food was great - for what you are paying for. Carnival has better desserts, but I never passed on desserts on AOS either! The gym could use a bit of an upgrade, but it gets the job done (we hit the gym every day for 90 minutes in hope of putting a dent in the liquor calories :D )

I have no idea what the name of the pier was. It is the pier that the Adventure of the Seas docs at - I believe it always docs at the same pier. Princess was at that pier, too. When facing the pier area from the "Sizzler" sign (if you have been to SJU before,) it is the closest pier on the left side. I believe the small airport is adjacent to this pier - the planes were taking off parallel to our ship.

I brought with me two flasks - a traditional looking one made of metal and one that is a thin cylinder designed to fit into one of my cigar cases (yes, I am an EVIL cigar smoker as well.) I would fill one with Tequila and the other with Rum. We kept the Vodka in a water bottle. The Champaign was consumed the first night / day. I would put the flasks into our Beach Bag - we like to "fortify" our drinks with an extra bit of kick (many bars tend to have a soft touch when pouring - except for the bar off the beach that we frequent on Orient Beach. The bartendress has a VERY heavy hand.) When returning to the ship, the flasks are at the bottom of the bag. We put the bag in the scanner and amble on through. We had no problems except on St. Croix. For some reason they thought the Tube Flask may have been a weapon. They looked at it and asked me what it was. Since it was the last island before returning to SJU, I smiled and said it was a flask for holding my alcohol. The security guy asked his supervisor if it was OK. Supervisor said, "OK."

Had they wished to confiscate, I merely would have poured out any liquid that was left. I did not hide any of our alcohol or flasks in the room. They were on a shelf with all the rest of our stuff. No issues with the valet, but we tipped him extra every day (along with the customary tip at the end.)

I will say that two years ago, we had no problems with Carnival either. However, last year when we cruised Carnival out of SJU, they were a bit less forgiving. They took our two bottles away (gave them back at the end.) We merely purchased alcohol on St. Thomas (first stop.) Carried our "Water Bottles" back on board without a problem (having transferred the contents of the bottle into the water bottles. Carnival sells a "Carnival" Water Bottle Holder and water bottle. We purchased a couple one of those thinking that it not only hid the contents of the water bottle, but would also be less likely to attract attention - why would Carnival wish to hassle people who purchased and used their stuff.

I hope my long winded reply helped......

Enjoy your cruise. We wish we were still out there..............

I shall answer the two questions to my post in this one reply. Please forgive spelling errors, since I am doing this on my phone.

We LOVE AOS! This was our third time on AOS in about 4 years. While the ship is great, we actually book it for the Itin. It used to have one island every day. It now has one sea day (RCL needs the money we spend when we are a captive audience.) San Juan is a great place - we have now been there almost a dozen times. Our favorite island is St. Martin (French side of St. Maarten.) We enjoy our day on Orient Beach (far right side when you are facing the water - which will mean something to those who have been there before.)

The ship is well taken care of. The service is great. The food was great - for what you are paying for. Carnival has better desserts, but I never passed on desserts on AOS either! The gym could use a bit of an upgrade, but it gets the job done (we hit the gym every day for 90 minutes in hope of putting a dent in the liquor calories :D )

I have no idea what the name of the pier was. It is the pier that the Adventure of the Seas docs at - I believe it always docs at the same pier. Princess was at that pier, too. When facing the pier area from the "Sizzler" sign (if you have been to SJU before,) it is the closest pier on the left side. I believe the small airport is adjacent to this pier - the planes were taking off parallel to our ship.

I brought with me two flasks - a traditional looking one made of metal and one that is a thin cylinder designed to fit into one of my cigar cases (yes, I am an EVIL cigar smoker as well.) I would fill one with Tequila and the other with Rum. We kept the Vodka in a water bottle. The Champaign was consumed the first night / day. I would put the flasks into our Beach Bag - we like to "fortify" our drinks with an extra bit of kick (many bars tend to have a soft touch when pouring - except for the bar off the beach that we frequent on Orient Beach. The bartendress has a VERY heavy hand.) When returning to the ship, the flasks are at the bottom of the bag. We put the bag in the scanner and amble on through. We had no problems except on St. Croix. For some reason they thought the Tube Flask may have been a weapon. They looked at it and asked me what it was. Since it was the last island before returning to SJU, I smiled and said it was a flask for holding my alcohol. The security guy asked his supervisor if it was OK. Supervisor said, "OK."

Had they wished to confiscate, I merely would have poured out any liquid that was left. I did not hide any of our alcohol or flasks in the room. They were on a shelf with all the rest of our stuff. No issues with the valet, but we tipped him extra every day (along with the customary tip at the end.)

I will say that two years ago, we had no problems with Carnival either. However, last year when we cruised Carnival out of SJU, they were a bit less forgiving. They took our two bottles away (gave them back at the end.) We merely purchased alcohol on St. Thomas (first stop.) Carried our "Water Bottles" back on board without a problem (having transferred the contents of the bottle into the water bottles. Carnival sells a "Carnival" Water Bottle Holder and water bottle. We purchased a couple one of those thinking that it not only hid the contents of the water bottle, but would also be less likely to attract attention - why would Carnival wish to hassle people who purchased and used their stuff.

Thanks for all the great info. Can't wait to go!

Thanks for the helpful hints ... I will be on AOS in 2 weeks, it is my first cruise also - and I am really looking forward to this itinerary. If you have any other information (ports, onboard activities, food choices) you would like to share it would be greatly appreciated ...

Stay warm up there in Chicago ...

In response to UpShaw:

The AOS does two different itins. We did: Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Croix. Which one are you doing?

Since we have hit all of the islands on our itin several times already, we tend to be low key, low activity beach people.

Barbados: Rained. Worked out. Drank and stayed in the hot tub watching the rain come down.

Antigua: Caught a cab, asked the driver to take us to a beach with chairs, umbrellas and a Bar (noticing a theme here?) I will try to find the name of the beach (but they all blend together after a time.) Obviously since I can not remember anything, it must have been OK.

St. Lucia: Caught a cab, asked the driver to take us to a beach with chairs, umbrellas and a Bar. He took us to the most common beach - check the boards for the name since I can not recollect. He dropped us off in front of a resort. You can walk through the resort to get to the beach. Once at the beach, we made a right and walked down the beach about 100-150 meters to another stretch of the beach that was a bit less crowded (easier to get chairs and in front of another bar - go figure.)

St. Martin: Took a cab into Marigold (sp?.) Since we both speak French (wife is Swiss - so I learned,) we enjoy the French side of the island. Had lunch - awesome but pricey. Took another cab to "Club Orient" at Orient Beach - our favorite beach in all of the Caribbean. The "Club Orient" part of the beach may not be for everyone. The rest of the beach is generally "Topless Optional." Maybe less than 5% of the people there (esp on a cruise day) are topless (female that is.) The beach is very nice.

NOTE: We usually head straight to the beach from the ship by cab. We make arrangements for the cabbie to fetch us at a certain time at the end of the day. We tend to do this on every island. In the 50+ island stops we have made cruising, we have never, I repeat, never been stranded. If the original driver could not make it, he/she would send a friend. EXCEPTION TO THE RULE this time. The cabbie who took us from the city to the beach promised to fetch us at the end of the day. She was a NO SHOW. Fortunately, we built a bit of a safety cushion into our pick up time. The hotel called a cab for us which arrived within 10 minutes. Normally there are LOTS of cabs waiting at the end of the day at the popular beaches where cruise ship passengers end up going, so even if your original driver is a No Show, it is possible to quickly catch another cab. Many times the cabbie will expect payment for the round trip on the return - which is very nice to one's peace of mind. Since we were at "Club Orient" which is a bit less traveled by Cruise Passengers, we had to build in the safety net and wait for a cab. Just an FYI.....

St. Croix: Cab to beach, etc. First beach the cabbie took us to - which is on the North East side of the island and one of the more popular beach's was a serious let down. Very small, very few chairs to rent (they were all sold out by the time we got there. Since I am a self confessed Vacation Snob - I have few opportunities to vacation so when I go, I GO!, I was not going to sit on the sand and have to walk across a street to get a beverage. Called the cabbie back to fetch my group. He took us down the road about 7 minutes to the beach at the Renaissance. AWESOME! You walk through the hotel to get to the beach. Very secluded. Few people. The hotel has chairs on the beach - you just grab one. The bar is by the pool - a bit of a walk - but they have a heavy hand when pouring! Try the Voodoo Juice if you are brave and have a spare liver waiting for you back at home. When you get to the beach, head left (as you face the water.) There is another beach a wee bit down (still part of the property.) A bit bigger yet strangely more private. That beach has no pebbles or rocks in the sand in the surf (which the beach in front of the bar/pool/hotel does.)

If you are staying in San Juan before or after the cruise, catch a cab into Old San Juan for dinner at least one night. Try the restaurant that claims to be the place where the Pina Colada was invented - there is a plaque on the building with that fact. Don't remember the name (am very bad with names,) but if you Google it, you will find it.

The women in our group went to the Ice Show on the AOS. They loved it.

We went to the Murder Mystery (Monday night only, book early) which is $50pp but includes dinner with unlimited wine (which was less than average - the wine that is, but you may buy your own bottle as we did.) This was the second time we went, but other members of group had never been so we did it with them. I am not sure if it is worth $50pp, but it is fun. You are acting as the detective to figure out "Who Did it." They raffle off a prize (only people who guessed correctly enter the raffle.) It was a bottle of Champaign, I believe. Interestingly enough, it was the same person who did it both times now (separated by almost 18 months.) The mystery is set up that it could be any of the people, and they technically don't give you enough information to pick just one person. If you want a hint or even the answer, please feel free to e-mail me at: L A L E T U M @ Y A H O O . C O M (remove the spaces.)

In response to KY?????'s question:

Yes. Water, Mixers, etc were available.

Happy Cruising!

LaLetum,

Did they sell other things in the Duty Free shop? Like water or sodas/mixers? It would be great to get water or soda there and not have to care it while checking in.

I only remember seeing booze but it might be around the checkout counter area closer to the floor. Also might help to ask as they migth carry it and don't put a lot out.

How about putting a bottle in your checked baggage?

Do they confiscate from them? I would like to bring a bottle on, but I can wait to have it until my checked bags are brought to my room.

Would that have a better chance then trying to bring it in my carry on?

Explorer of the Seas, 1/28-2/6 and they checked all carry-ons. At each stop carry-ons are x rayed and bottles confiscated to be returned the last day. Purchased a bottle of wine and some fruit off their website prior to boarding and had it in the room for the voyage. In checked baggage was a plastic mouthwash bottle filled with rum in a plastic bag holding toothpaste, brush, razor and shaving cream. Always had ice in the room and paid the $2 for a can of Coke. Good luck.

Has RCI cracked down on bringing water/soda onboard in San Juan? We are flying in a day early and I want to bring some Diet Mt. Dew and Propel (flavored water) on board but I don't want it confiscated. I've heard that other ports are being more strict about ALL beverages, not just alcohol.

Has RCI cracked down on bringing water/soda onboard in San Juan? We are flying in a day early and I want to bring some Diet Mt. Dew and Propel (flavored water) on board but I don't want it confiscated. I've heard that other ports are being more strict about ALL beverages, not just alcohol.

When we sailed RC we never had any issues bringing non alchol beverages. We actually had a Coleman cooler filler and it was delivered to our room.

BTW I am from C-Bus also.

they will put your purchases in a blow up plastic bag that protects it from breakage. They are also reusable and have taken my wine in them on later cruises. They are free if you buy several bottles or charged for 1 or 2.

Who does this? Where did you buy it that they gave you a blow up plastic bag?

I have been following this thread for a very long time, but still I am going (tomorrow!) without a clear answer. We shall see.

Sailing Sunday, hope you had a great cruise :). I feel the same way.

[Quote=sallyb; Just back from Victory, they tag a bag containing liquor with a big orange zip tie. Then you walk a long way to get on the ship. If they see the zip tie, they take your liquor after the long walk.

Is there a washroom between? Can we just put in carry on on this long walk?

Edited by Cruisegal514

I just got back from the 02/12/2011 Sailing of Serenade. Yes...there is a duty-free shop after you pass through the scanners and before you board. They sell sodas, water, snacks and hard alcohol. They also had a few kinds of wine. They sell regular sized bottles as well as a large quantity of "airplane" bottles.

After we left the shop, as we boarded the ship, the hand luggage and bags (including the ones from the duty-free store) had to go through another scanner. Here, they were removing any alchohol purchased and holding it until the end of the cruise. However, you were not, personally, subjected to another scan so if something was in your pockets it would probably not have been noticed. Perhaps this is why so much booze was being sold in the smaller bottles.

I had purchased an 8 pack of soda from the store and there was no problem with getting that on. It went through the scanner as well but they just verified that it was soda and not beer.

Hope this helps someone!

[quote name=sallyb; Just back from Victory' date=' they tag a bag containing liquor with a big orange zip tie. Then you walk a long way to get on the ship. If they see the zip tie, they take your liquor after the long walk.

Is there a washroom between? Can we just put in carry on on this long walk?[/quote]

Got off the Victory Sun Feb, 20th. Each adult can carry on board 1 bottle of wine without it being taken away. Any hard liquor will be tagged with an orange zip tie and given back on the last day of the cruise. We bought our wine at the duty free store but found that it was cheaper at the CVS in San Juan (just down the street from Senor Frogs)

Got off the Victory Sun Feb, 20th. Each adult can carry on board 1 bottle of wine without it being taken away. Any hard liquor will be tagged with an orange zip tie and given back on the last day of the cruise. We bought our wine at the duty free store but found that it was cheaper at the CVS in San Juan (just down the street from Senor Frogs)

Thanks for the tip re the wine at CVS, I think I'll bring a bottle this year.

For you carnival victory ppl, is there time on the walk to take nail clippers or something and cut off the orange zip tie? How big a tie is it? A big one or little thin one? What would it take to cut it off? Are there people watching you the whole time?

Edited by Amosmoses33

Seeing as no one can tell me if 1.5 liter bottles of wine are available in Puerto Rico or at the Pan American pier duty free shop I will just buy 4 bottles of Chardonnay and put them in my carry on. If 2 of them are confiscated am I correct that I will get them back the last day - a sea day - if so hello ...they won't get to see the states!

For you carnival victory ppl, is there time on the walk to take nail clippers or something and cut off the orange zip tie? How big a tie is it? A big one or little thin one? What would it take to cut it off? Are there people watching you the whole time?

Our wine was never tagged. We showed crew the wine & was told have a great day. Carnival states that you can bring a bottle on wine per person in San Juan on before sailing. After sail, if you bring on any liquor if found it will be tagged until the last night when it is delivered to your stateroom. Friends put mini airport bottles in the pants pocket at one of the ports and walked by without any problems.

Have a great vacation!

They sell regular sized bottles as well as a large quantity of "airplane" bottles.

However, you were not, personally, subjected to another scan so if something was in your pockets it would probably not have been noticed. Perhaps this is why so much booze was being sold in the smaller bottles.

Hope this helps someone!

It sure helps me! Now I have to plan where to stash all of those "airplane" bottles...(and yes, I know I just opened myself up to some snide comment from one of the do-gooder anti-smuggling types who will tell me where to put them.) But actually, that may not be such a bad place since they probably wouldn't be searching there...:eek:

it sure helps me! Now i have to plan where to stash all of those "airplane" bottles...(and yes, i know i just opened myself up to some snide comment from one of the do-gooder anti-smuggling types who will tell me where to put them.) but actually, that may not be such a bad place since they probably wouldn't be searching there...:eek:

lmaooooooo!