Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

Yes, I think people are afraid to give a straight answer any more, considering the cruise lines read the boards.

Yea i can see that but people write everything else on here! Also i really do think its just the Victory i dont think its other piers..and i guess some people dont know you can do this or dont notice other people doing it, or trust people when they say you can bring it on in your carryon. i dont remember how we found out i think just some guy told us when we checked in our baggage, good thing we trusted him. you can email me and update on what happened if you dont want to post it :)

Yea i can see that but people write everything else on here! Also i really do think its just the Victory i dont think its other piers..and i guess some people dont know you can do this or dont notice other people doing it, or trust people when they say you can bring it on in your carryon. i dont remember how we found out i think just some guy told us when we checked in our baggage, good thing we trusted him. you can email me and update on what happened if you dont want to post it :)

What is just the Victory and not other piers? I didn't understand what you meant.

Do they sell diet cokes at the duty free store at the Pan Am Pier? Am I allowed to bring these on board? I asked Celebrity today and the woman told me that I could bring on Pepsi products because they don't sell it onboard. I prefer Coke products but will bring on Pepsi if I can't get on Coke. We are on the Celebrity Millenium January 24.

Do they sell diet cokes at the duty free store at the Pan Am Pier? Am I allowed to bring these on board? I asked Celebrity today and the woman told me that I could bring on Pepsi products because they don't sell it onboard. I prefer Coke products but will bring on Pepsi if I can't get on Coke. We are on the Celebrity Millenium January 24.

The store had diet coke available and we were allowed to bring it on.

I have friends who have always brought on alcohol in their checked baggage as well as the allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Matter of fact, last spring they took aboard 2 bottles of wine each in their carry-on baggage. They have never had it confiscated. We will probably just carry on our allowed amount. We are on board only 7 days with just one sea day. Think I can manage that.

I can't email you because I don't know your email addy.

We just retured from our Celebrity Cruise and I have to say, I could have taken the entire duty free shop on the to ship and no one would hae cared. We had bought two bottles of Champaign which I knew we could bring on. The shop wrapped up one bottle and put that in a shopping bag with the other one then sealed the shopping bag. I walked that up all the ramps and through two security check points where all then wanted to see was my sea pass card and passport. Once we got on the ship there was a table there and the employee asked to see the bag, I told him what was in it and he tried to look in the handle hole but couldn't really see anything. Finally after about a minute of him trying to look he just said oh just go on. I did tell him that it was Champaign so that might have helped and the receipt was attached to the bag. But it would have be so very easy to have taken any bottle out of the bag and put it in my backpack.

I know there is a drink that is not available in the States and, from what I have heard, you can only get it in San Juan. It is called Gasolina and it comes in small packets like capri sun or other juice packages. Does anyone know if they sell this in the San Juan Pier duty free shop?

Gasolina.jpg

We just retured from our Celebrity Cruise and I have to say, I could have taken the entire duty free shop on the to ship and no one would hae cared. We had bought two bottles of Champaign which I knew we could bring on. The shop wrapped up one bottle and put that in a shopping bag with the other one then sealed the shopping bag. I walked that up all the ramps and through two security check points where all then wanted to see was my sea pass card and passport. Once we got on the ship there was a table there and the employee asked to see the bag, I told him what was in it and he tried to look in the handle hole but couldn't really see anything. Finally after about a minute of him trying to look he just said oh just go on. I did tell him that it was Champaign so that might have helped and the receipt was attached to the bag. But it would have be so very easy to have taken any bottle out of the bag and put it in my backpack.

Hey Amph.

Did you notice if the pier duty free shop had the larger bottles of wine(1.5l) or only the regular size?

Hello All:

We recently returned from our cruise on AOS out of San Juan. Here is the uncensored information.

When you first enter the "Building" where you check-in etc., you must pass through a metal detector and subject your carry ons to an X-Ray scan. This is the first and last scan of your belongings. Immediately to the left of this "security" area is a "Duty Free" liquor store.

If you purchase at the store, they will put your purchase in easily identifiable bags. Once you check-in, you are directed up a set of escalators and proceed directly to the ship - without being subjected to any additional scanning. Once on the ship, there is in fact a "Liquor Police Table" that is staffed. if you are carrying the distinctive Duty Free bags, they will be taken from you at this point.

To avoid having your liquor taken, remove your liquor from the distinctive bags (go to the bathroom if you feel conspicuous,) place in your carry on and discard the distinctive bags (unless you wish to also put them in your carry on as a memento.) Remember to smile as you pass the "Liquor Police Table."

If you follow these steps, you will be golden. Again this is for RCL pier.

Our inventory included: 1 bottle of Champaign, 1 Tequila, 1 Vodka and 1 Rum. For the "Do Gooders," we still managed to incur a $900 bar tab (2 people.) We primarily use the alcohol for our beach days. :p

The security on the ship at the ports of call was also friendly to alcohol smuggling. Hint: make sure you transfer your alcohol from the easily identifiable bottle that it came in to a more common beverage container before going through security.

Flames only help my tan! :D

When your morally flexible, life is so much more fun!

Edited by LaLetum
spelling

I know there is a drink that is not available in the States and, from what I have heard, you can only get it in San Juan. It is called Gasolina and it comes in small packets like capri sun or other juice packages. Does anyone know if they sell this in the San Juan Pier duty free shop?

No, I didn't see it. But you can find it OSJ or SJ in the supermarkets in a few of the smaller convenience stores. I don't know if they have it at the CVS, I don't remember seeing it though.