Never or never again solo -- Which lines?

elycelynne

Being a widower with no present significant other available, I sail solo and would not ever do NCL again even if the cruise was free. They are not even remotely capable of seating a solo for meals. Ended up always at a table for one and a pile of pity from the staff. NCL markets to couples who really want to be a couple and not interact with others and to groups who already are traveling as a pack and do not need nor want another body at their table. I sail Cunard as there are many other solo people. It is traditonal assigned seating and I always get an outstanding table of 8. Can be couples or a mix of other solo folks but all are interested in meeting new people.

Never again...NCL due to the way they handle solo diners. They don't offer to seat you with others and even their ads tout how people don't have to eat with anyone they don't want to.

That's true, and that's why I wouldn't ever sail with them as a solo again.

I felt very conspicuous at a 6-top by myself while people were waiting to be seated. Not sure why I was seated at that table... :confused:

I'm just guessing, because I wasn't there, but maybe they sat you at a 6-top by yourself because it was the only available table. It's better than them telling you that they don't have a table for you, and you have to stand on the side and wait while they put a group that came in AFTER YOU at the 6-top.

When I was on the Crown in May of 2007 with a friend, we were asked every single time we went to the dining room if we were willing to share a table. We always said yes. With the exception of one breakfast, when we were seated with two women who were happy to share their table, we always ate alone, just the two of us. Because no one ever wanted to share a table with us. When we walked out of the dining room after dinner on the second night, there was a huge line of people waiting for tables. "This is ridiculous!" we heard people shout. I said to myself, "Too bad you weren't willing to share a table with us, or you would have eaten already."

But I guess when people choose a cruiseline that promises them that they won't have to eat with pesky strangers, it's too much to expect them to want to share a table.

I agree with Pennypocket, Cunard is a good line for singles, especially the Queen Victoria from Southampton. I've found the British are much friendlier and more sociable, Americans have a tendency towards the attitude vacation luvver described on NCL. If you like dancing, my rule of thumb is you'll see as many people dancing with 50 British as 500 Americans. Holland America does do nice singles lunches, but nightlife on those ships is non-existent.

The cruise line is getting the rate for two people one way or the other. They tell you the price per person so you book. In other words it makes it look cheaper that way. They are going to get xxx number of dollars regardless of how many people are on the ship.

The cruise line is getting the rate for two people one way or the other. They tell you the price per person so you book. In other words it makes it look cheaper that way. They are going to get xxx number of dollars regardless of how many people are on the ship.

Hi,:) if you read the wording in the "pricing area" on any of the bookings,

it always states "per person~double occupancy". Unless a person has

never cruised before and doesn't know about it, they always have

those words in the pricing area. So they don't make it look cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

I have traveled solo twice on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas and on my last solo trip the Maitre 'd called my cabin at 1:00 a.m. and asked if he could bring a bottle of wine to my cabin and we could sit on my balcony.:eek: First, I calmly asked him how he got my cabin number, he said he had access to that information, and then I told him that I was not looking for "room service" and if he ever called my cabin again I would report him. The next day when I saw him on the pool deck he spoke and kept walking!! Never had a problem again.

I have traveled solo twice on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas and on my last solo trip the Maitre 'd called my cabin at 1:00 a.m. and asked if he could bring a bottle of wine to my cabin and we could sit on my balcony.:eek: First, I calmly asked him how he got my cabin number, he said he had access to that information, and then I told him that I was not looking for "room service" and if he ever called my cabin again I would report him. The next day when I saw him on the pool deck he spoke and kept walking!! Never had a problem again.

WOW:eek:....I would have reported him.....glad nothing bad happened

and no, I have not had that happen to me before.

I agree with Lois. I would have reported him straight away. That is a behavior that should not be tolerated. Crew members, regardless of rank, are never allowed to be in passenger cabins unless they have business there, such as the cabin steward.

WOW:eek:....I would have reported him.....glad nothing bad happened

and no, I have not had that happen to me before.

You're right I should have reported it.:( I doubt I am the only person he did this to. My fear is that someone took him up on his offer and it did not end well.

That has never happened to me either, but if it had, I definitely would have gone directly to the top and reported him without hesitance. Just another reason for solos to be aware of their surroudings on and off the ship.

Hi thanks for the tips on different expierences and cruiselines. I appreate them as someone who traveles solo all the time. I have never cruised before but I travel a lot and typically do so solo.

Im taking a themed cruise for my first cruise, a mystery cruise and im really excited about it. I am a friendly and outgoing person and enjoy people. So I generally make friends pretty easily.

Adri :)

Never again? -- Seadream.

My solo cruise on Seadream several years ago was a disappointing experience. It's another line that does not make single travellers very welcome. The freestyle dining in the evening was the worst part. They didn't know what to do with you if you came into the dining room alone. Even though I'd ask to be seated with others, I'd be seated alone at a small table, and service was definately less attentive. One time, after repeatedly asking for a refill of wine, I went to the bar and brought one back for myself. In many ways, I felt that they not only didn't want to accommodate solo passengers, but made things more difficult. Also, there's very little, if any entertainment on these ships, and hardly any social staff.

I've gone solo on other lines and have always had a great time. But, I'll take a pass on Seadream.

I have the same experience when I travel on HAL ships. I show up at the dining room ask for a table with six, get a table for six but they forget (on purpose as this has happened more than once) the other 5.

Archived