Never or never again solo -- Which lines?

elycelynne

I was just curious which cruiselines you would either never even considering sailing as a solo or never again cruise as a solo. I'd be interested to hear feedback about poor treatment, feeling out of place, etc. I'm not seriously considering anything specific right now (except for deciding which Holland America Caribbean itinerary I'll be doing in the next 18 months), but was just wondering what the general feeling was for purposes of future consideration. Thanks!

Not necessarily because of being a solo, but negative experiences have stopped me from cruising NCL or Costa ever again. And due poor treatment because I was a solo, I'd not do Regent again. I'd also stay away from lines like Windstar and the Paul Gauguin because they tend to attract a lot of honeymooners and the romantic couples.

Not necessarily because of being a solo, but negative experiences have stopped me from cruising NCL or Costa ever again. And due poor treatment because I was a solo, I'd not do Regent again. I'd also stay away from lines like Windstar and the Paul Gauguin because they tend to attract a lot of honeymooners and the romantic couples.

I know that you're a Crystal cruiser too - as I am. I would like to try Regent - except that their single supplement starts at 40% (rather than Crystal's 25%%) and I've heard that things have deteriorated (food, service, etc.) recently with Regent. Would you mind elaborating on your problem with Regent? Thanks.:)

I can see where solo cruising is not for everyone...and surely choosing the right cruiseline and timing are very important. Went 11 days solo on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas just this last November. You can see my Cruise Critic review and threads in this forum). Sailed (motored actually), to the Mexican Riveria...would go again without question. I had a great time, nice ship, good food, met lots of nice people, also pretty good ports-of-call. I tell people to be sure and read as many ship and company reveiws as you can so there will be fewer surprises and disappointments. Also suggest joining Cruise Critic and OH!....continue reading these forums!

Islander41

I know that you're a Crystal cruiser too - as I am. I would like to try Regent - except that their single supplement starts at 40% (rather than Crystal's 25%%) and I've heard that things have deteriorated (food, service, etc.) recently with Regent. Would you mind elaborating on your problem with Regent? Thanks.:)

Hi Tillie. On my two Regent cruises (when I have a bad experience on a cruise line, I try and cruise it again to see if it was an aberration) the experiences were pretty much the same. They are not very solo friendly in their open seating dining area, making me and other solos stand for quite a while before being seated in the main dining room---Regent has open seating rather than traditional. We seemed to be more of an annoyance than a welcome guest and he sat couples and groups before seating solos. At the buffet at breakfast, they do not like it when solos sit anyplace but at a table for two. I had gone up for breakfast when nearly everyone else was off on tours, so I had my plate and was just about to sit at a table for four at the window, when a waiter came over, took my plate and said that people alone had to sit at small tables----so he walked me to a table for two, next to the dirty dish station, far from the windows. Mind you, there were maybe 10 others in the dining room, so it wasn't crowded. To say the least, I never went back to the buffet again. And, when I wanted to dine at either of the specialty restaurants, they seemed hesitant to book a solo and I was told they'd call me back to see if there was availability, but when my friends called and requested a table for three, no problem. There were a few other service related issues that I've not ever encountered on Seabourn, Crystal or even Silversea.

Hi Tillie. On my two Regent cruises (when I have a bad experience on a cruise line, I try and cruise it again to see if it was an aberration) the experiences were pretty much the same. They are not very solo friendly in their open seating dining area, making me and other solos stand for quite a while before being seated in the main dining room---Regent has open seating rather than traditional. We seemed to be more of an annoyance than a welcome guest and he sat couples and groups before seating solos. At the buffet at breakfast, they do not like it when solos sit anyplace but at a table for two. I had gone up for breakfast when nearly everyone else was off on tours, so I had my plate and was just about to sit at a table for four at the window, when a waiter came over, took my plate and said that people alone had to sit at small tables----so he walked me to a table for two, next to the dirty dish station, far from the windows. Mind you, there were maybe 10 others in the dining room, so it wasn't crowded. To say the least, I never went back to the buffet again. And, when I wanted to dine at either of the specialty restaurants, they seemed hesitant to book a solo and I was told they'd call me back to see if there was availability, but when my friends called and requested a table for three, no problem. There were a few other service related issues that I've not ever encountered on Seabourn, Crystal or even Silversea.

Thanks so much for your response. Think I'll just stick with Crystal (Seabourn and Silversea - even the new larger ships - are just too small for my liking). If the Regent cabins would fit on the Crystal ships......

While I enjoyed the whole experience and freedom of sailing solo and met many interesting people, I still resent the blatant overcharge for sailing alone.

While I certainly understand how you feel, it's a fact that you must get past if you want to cruise solo. It's a rarity that a cruiseline offers a cabin to a solo with no supplement involved. As with anything you purchase, it's your choice as to how much you're willing to pay.

I love to cruise. I travel solo for many reasons. I know how much my cruise fare is for the trip I want to take. I either buy it or I don't.

No one likes paying a single supplement. If you dislike it that much, find another vacation option that better suits you.

Diane

I was just curious which cruiselines you would either never even considering sailing as a solo or never again cruise as a solo. I'd be interested to hear feedback about poor treatment, feeling out of place, etc. I'm not seriously considering anything specific right now (except for deciding which Holland America Caribbean itinerary I'll be doing in the next 18 months), but was just wondering what the general feeling was for purposes of future consideration. Thanks!

I wasn't happy with my solo cruise on NCL but have loved my HAL experiences. I do believe I've found the cruiseline that suits my style.

Diane

Hi all!

I've sailed solo on HAL, X & RCI & didn't find any difference. I always

ask for 1st seating, large table as that's what I'm comfortable doing.

I don't mind eating with strangers for breakfast or lunch but do like familiar faces at dinner.:confused: I had a great time on all 3 solo cruises & look forward to doing it twice more this year.

~Jo~ :)

No more NCL for me - I renamed it the NO Cruise Line. The staff was not solo-friendly at all. Specific examples include being seated at a table right behind the kitchen door (when the dining room was nearly empty); waiting ten minutes for my water glass to be filled and another 5-10 for coffee and a menu; being told the maitre 'd would have to approve my move to another table; being totally ignored (refused eye contact) by the maitre 'd when he walked past and I tried to get his attention. And that was day one. When I went to the shore excursion desk to see about a tour, the rep told me he could not accommodate a solo for a tour... but when the two people in line behind me asked about the same tour after I walked away, he "miraculously" found two spots for them. I went back and pitched a mini-hissy fit until he found me a spot... and it turns out there was plenty of space on the tour when we got on the bus. There were more things, I could go on and on. We docked next to an RCCL ship in Naples and I kept thinking about ways to escape the NCL Jewel and sneak onboard... When I got home and complained to my TA and her NCL rep, the cruiseline tried to convince (bribe) me to try them again with a sizable OBC, but I'm not that dumb.

On the flip side - I am always comfortable on RCCL ships. There's always a variety of things to do and I find there's a nice mix of people onboard. Someday I'll give Celebrity a try, they receive very good reviews and seem to be solo-friendly.

No matter which one you choose, the CC roll call is a great way to meet people and I have found that I never feel alone when I have been active on the board.

Enjoy!

Liz

While I certainly understand how you feel, it's a fact that you must get past if you want to cruise solo. It's a rarity that a cruiseline offers a cabin to a solo with no supplement involved. As with anything you purchase, it's your choice as to how much you're willing to pay.

I love to cruise. I travel solo for many reasons. I know how much my cruise fare is for the trip I want to take. I either buy it or I don't.

No one likes paying a single supplement. If you dislike it that much, find another vacation option that better suits you.

Diane

Hi Diane:)....your post mirror my thoughts exactly!!! I read that post

and thought to myself I would never give up cruising because of the supplement.

I love it waaayyy too much:D and as long as the total price is within

my budget? I don't even look at other types of vacations anymore.

Its the total price I look at, not the supplement portion. I know I am going to pay more and just figure out the total.

Cruising for me? The value is outstanding (in my opinion) and finding a cabinmate to save the difference? Not even an option.

I have only cruised solo once and that was with HAL last year in the Med. I had a wonderful experience! The crew was always friendly. If I sat down at in a bar, the waiter always came to visit with me. I was alone only when I wanted to be. Overall, I am not a big NCL fan, but I have cruised with them because of price. The European cruises have a very different group than the Caribbean. I was not solo, but I did see solos who were making friends.

I am trying a river cruise solo this summer. I understand that can be a nice way to meet people too.

All in all...HAL was wonderful!

I sailed on the Caribbean Princess almost two years ago and it almost turned me off to solo sailing altogether.

It was horrible the way I was treated. The dining rooms and the Maitre D were the worst. When I was seated next to the noisy service area and the slop bucket and I asked to be moved, was told that's all that's available for you. That did not change for the whole week except for the one night I shared a table. I was seated with two couples that were traveling together. When it became obvious that nobody else was with me one of the women motioned the Maitre D over and loudly screeched while pointing at me "we are not comfortable with that at the table". The Maitre D just shrugged his shoulders and basically sympathized with her, but said he had to seat "them" when they come in. I can laugh at it now, but at the time I really just wanted to sink into the carpet.

Complaints were ignored, fobbed off or just told to write a letter. A manager was never available to discuss the situation at any point all week.

The treatment was about the same all over the ship. I was yelled at, threatened and blatantly discriminated against the entire week I was on board. That, on top of total non-enforcement of NO Smoking signs made for a miserable week (but that is another topic for another post).

Never again will I sail Princess.

I'm enjoying this thread!

I primary cruise solo and on those solo cruises it always been with Carnival and Holland America. I can say that with one exception (another cruiser not the staff) that both lines treated me as a value guest.

I want to try some of the other cruiselines. I've came across some great rates for NCL, but the feedback from this website and word of mouth from other solos is often more negative than positive. I'm intrigue with NCL epic and really want to sail it,but it's one that I would have to go with others.

I have been on three Princess cruises (2 as a solo, one with my mom) and I really love Princess. They have never made me feel awkward being a solo. In fact, the maitre d' usually gives me a good table by the window when I am by myself. Yea, paying extra for being a solo sucks, but I just refuse to be 80+ years old sitting in my rocking chair saying "I wish I had.....".

Traveling with my mom was weird. Been doing solo trips for 20+ years, that it was hard to remember she was there. LOL My next cruise is with friends, and then the next one will be just ME ME ME. LOL

I have sailed several times as a solo on RCCL, Carnival, Princess, NCL and HAL.

I have never had a bad cruise.

Some were better than others in some ways and some were less than others in some ways.

We all have high expectations about going on a cruise. But I learned after the first couple of cruises to just anticipate a good time regardless of: dining companions, closet space, weather, tv channels, entertainment, lack of trays, food, ports of call, shipboard activities, crew, service, or towel reserved deck chairs.

We don't live in a perfect world. Why should we expect a perfect cruise?

I always get a kick out of all the nitpicking and whining I see on these boards.

Unless you find yourself on one of those gastrointestininal voyages from hell or even a Posiden Adventure adventure cruises are generally enjoyable despite the minor glitches that are bound to show up. I'm a firm believer that attitude is everything and I prefer the glass half full to the glass half empty

Where was I? Oh yeah which cruises did I like best...again...there wasn't a flat out bummer in the lot but my favorite cruise lines as a solo are in order of preference are:

HAL

RCCL

Princess

NCL

Carnival

Hi Diane:)....your post mirror my thoughts exactly!!! I read that post

and thought to myself I would never give up cruising because of the supplement.

I love it waaayyy too much:D and as long as the total price is within

my budget? I don't even look at other types of vacations anymore.

Its the total price I look at, not the supplement portion. I know I am going to pay more and just figure out the total.

Cruising for me? The value is outstanding (in my opinion) and finding a cabinmate to save the difference? Not even an option.

Lois, we are on the exact same page for this topic. I look at the price I'll be charged to go on a vacation and decide if it's what I'd be comfotable paying for what I'm getting. If a single supplement is involved, that's just part of it and I don't dwell on this part of the charge as being forced on me with malicious intent. I don't believe that's what's happening.

When I book a hotel room as a solo traveler, I don't ever expect a discount due to the fact that only one person is staying in the room. I always thought we were getting a deal by allowing my kids and ex in the room at no extra charge. It should be no different with a room on a cruise ship. They will quote a per person rate but don't really mean that one person will actually get that per person rate if no one else is in the room. The always have that extra language "based on double occupancy."

Perhaps the way the cruise lines advertise their rates should be revamped to align with a land hotel by stating how much that room goes for a night. I don't think people realize that the rates hotels are charging are expecting 2 people for the night. Therefore, solos or couples are getting the same rate and neither feels slighted because they aren't being quoted a per person rate...only a room rate.

That way, when a solo buys a cabin that has less than a 200% single supplement charge, solos will think they've gotten a "deal" when they learn they're paying less because they're traveling solo. It would be a great maketiing ploy to adapt this policy. Maybe I'll present my idea to a few cruise lines and see what they think. :D

Diane

Lois, we are on the exact same page for this topic. I look at the price I'll be charged to go on a vacation and decide if it's what I'd be comfotable paying for what I'm getting. If a single supplement is involved, that's just part of it and I don't dwell on this part of the charge as being forced on me with malicious intent. I don't believe that's what's happening.

When I book a hotel room as a solo traveler, I don't ever expect a discount due to the fact that only one person is staying in the room. I always thought we were getting a deal by allowing my kids and ex in the room at no extra charge. It should be no different with a room on a cruise ship. They will quote a per person rate but don't really mean that one person will actually get that per person rate if no one else is in the room. The always have that extra language "based on double occupancy."

Perhaps the way the cruise lines advertise their rates should be revamped to align with a land hotel by stating how much that room goes for a night. I don't think people realize that the rates hotels are charging are expecting 2 people for the night. Therefore, solos or couples are getting the same rate and neither feels slighted because they aren't being quoted a per person rate...only a room rate.

That way, when a solo buys a cabin that has less than a 200% single supplement charge, solos will think they've gotten a "deal" when they learn they're paying less because they're traveling solo. It would be a great maketiing ploy to adapt this policy. Maybe I'll present my idea to a few cruise lines and see what they think. :D

Diane

Diane:), I do understand your post but I disagree with part of it.;)

The hotel room scenerio? That isn't per person (in many cases).

When I book a hotel, its (example) 100.00 for the room. I pay 100.00

whether its 1 or 2 people. Now, if someone else was sharing? We

would each pay 50.00. The hotel doesn't double the price to

200 bucks because I am staying solo.

Or did I miss something?:confused:

But again, I totally agree with you about cruising though:D

I think the "hotel" pricing means that the cost is one price for the room. None of this "per person" stuff.

I'm going on RCCL Oasis (yeah!!) in a few weeks. I am paying 1,894 (pricey, but still looking forward to it).

Yes, that is the cost of 2 people, but that's not how I think of it. I think of the room costing $1894. They should not display a per-person cost. They should have just said out right that the room is 1894 for one or 2 people (and perhaps they could charge more for a 4th or 5th person like some hotels do).

When I go to a hotel I don't expect a discount because I'm one person. I pay the same as 2 people. So that's how I look at cruises. My cabin is a hotel room. It's the same price that 2 people would pay, just like a hotel.

That probably just confused the issue :)

Anyway, regarding the best cruise line for solos, I think it also has a lot to do with the ship. I love RCCL, however, I love some ships better than others. I wasn't overly impressed with Majesty. Not because it was bad for solos, but because it was boring.

But on Liberty I had a blast. There was so much to do and see that 7 days just wasn't long enough. That's why I'm looking forward to Oasis. Zip line, Carousel, flowrider, etc. On Liberty I had fun just people watching (flowrider was fun to watch).

I know some people like to just sit by the pool and relax. I do too...sometimes. But I figure that's something I can do at home (if there was an indoor pool near me). I go on vacation because I want to see stuff and do stuff....and sit on a beach--that I could do for hours.

I've been on one Carnival cruise and yes that was by myself. I had an absolutely GREAT TIME!! Since safety was such a big factor, for my husband, I researched the ship, people, ports, and excursions. I knew what to expect, what to do, and what not to do. I joined Cruise Critic so I could sign up for the roll call. I'm not much of a people person but since I wanted my presence to be known I included myself with this bunch. What a wonderful group of people! I met so many walks of life. I ate in the dining room and was so fortunate to be seated with even more amazing people. I think a cruise is what you make of it....enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff. I am going again on Carnival and have booked my own room even though I'll be in the company of my good friend that I met off my last cruise! I like having my own room so the cost doesn't offend me. I booked as an Early Saver last time and again this time as well. I have looked into adding a person to my booking but since the person didn't want to be added till late I would have only saved about 160 bucks. Always looking for that next adventure.... :cool:

I just didn't state myself very clearly. That's what I meant. Cruise lines should show the cost per room, not the cost per person. By showing the cost per person, it's really deceptive because that's really not true because it's based on double occupancy. We're still on the same page. :D

I just didn't state myself very clearly. That's what I meant. Cruise lines should show the cost per room, not the cost per person. By showing the cost per person, it's really deceptive because that's really not true because it's based on double occupancy. We're still on the same page. :D

Ohhh...okie dokie:D:)

Archived