Carnival's bad service

In response to so many "bad" Carnival service posts, I thought I'd share what happened to me today:

My 72 year old mom, who has had cancer and they now believe it's back due to massive weight loss and recent testing (we'll know for sure the week we return), decided just yesterday to join us on our upcoming cruise. We're leaving in two weeks and we booked early saver. We were aware of the penalties when we booked, but my mom was going to have to book a "single" room and even though we would incur a penalty, decided we'd save her the money and switch our youngest daughter to her room to save her the single rate cost.

When the rep realized our situation, he asked me to hold on a minute...so, of course, I did. I had no idea what he was doing, as we did not ask for a single "favor"..., we understood ES has penalties and that was our choice. When he returned, my mom's fare was over 400.00 dollars less, my daughter was in her room...all without a single penalty to us. The supervisor had waived the fees, and deducted what we had paid for our daughter from the price of double occupancy for my mom. AND, by the grace of God, her room is on our level, even at this late date!

I can't tell you what this means to all of us. This is, quite probably, the last vacation we'll ever have with my mom. Whether her age, or that stinkin' cancer, prevents it....we all know that this is probably the last really healthy, FUN vacation we'll all have together. My father doesn't like cruising, so we're her only chance to hit the seas...which she loves.

As an FYI, she took me on the first cruise that I ever took. It was just myself and my mom. How awesome that we'll end a lifetime of vacations on one, as well!!!! Couldn't ask for better memories than sun, sand, fun, and relaxation with my mom, who is also one of my very closest friends!

So, I'd like to send out a big THANK YOU to Carnival cruise lines for awesome service and understanding. I'd like to tell them THANK YOU SO MUCH for understanding how much this trip will mean to myself, my husband and our four children. Our kids will get to spend a whole week with "Nanny", and collect memories to assure myself, and my mom, that they will always be able to say, "Hey!" Remember that time that we went on the cruise with nanny?"

And yes, this trip would have happened without them removing the penalty, but it's just so awesome that they did without even being asked to do so. I think in this day and age, it's very rare for a company this size to not make EVERYTHING about profit. The heart behind the action meant so much.

Thank you, Carnival....

Its really nice to see someone views on the other side...CCL isnt always bad nor the people just doing there job...wonderful to hear someone went above and beyond...thanks for sharing.:D

And are prayers are with your family and mother, I hope that you all enjoy a wonderful family cruise and celebrate life at its finest!!! I hope she beat it once and can do it again!!! good luck...bon voyage!!

I am so happy for you! I have tears in my eyes because my mom is now too frail to travel with us. (She did go to Chicago last year, for 8 days, with us when our 2nd son got married. However, she did no sightseeing--only wedding stuff.) We all treasure the trips mom/grandma made with us. My boys think those were some of the best trips. Lots of great memories! :)

Have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute. I honestly try to live and love like each day may be my last. Not drepressed like-- but truly enjoying every second! :)

Happy Sailing and thanks CCL!

Wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it. We hear, and see so much negative "stuff" about the big corporations, and it's so refreshing to hear "the other side" of the story. Thanks to Carnival, and God bless "Nanny".

"SKY"

It's wonderful that you'll have this cruise to create those lasting memories with your family. I hope your mother can rejuvinate herself and get healthy! Thank you for sharing your great experience with Carnival. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for sharing that positive message Kristi. It's good to know that there are people behind the scenes in a large corporation that recognize a special situation and accomodate. I hope your trip is incredibly special and memorable.

We are goin on our first Carnival cruise in January.

I have been so disappointed by the negative reviews about Carnival.

It is wonderful to hear your story.

Enjoy your cruise with Mom and Nanny.

best of Luck to all!!

Please don't let "those" reviews impact your upcoming cruise. So many of them (to me) sound like people who fixate on a single, often irrational, complaint and allow it to ruin their entire cruise. . Often they are centered around not getting something to which they felt entitled.

Go into your cruise with an open mind, be flexible, realistic and form your own opinions. Carnival isn't for everyone but their return passenger percentage tells me they are doing something right for many people.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Oh, your post made my eyes tear up. What a wonderful trip this is going to be for your family. And its so touching to read about what Carnival did for you. I hope you and your children enjoy and savor every moment with Nanny. God bless her!

Thank you, Carnival....

You story reminds me of the only time I had an issue with a cruise.

We had booked a balcony room for three, when DW and I separated, and she decided she would not be going. THis was on a Monday, and a cruise was that Thursday.

I called Carnival, not knowing what I should do, except that I was still going.

Without a hesitation, they refunded the third pax fare, and let me know I could do a name change for pax #2 for $50, which I did not know at the time.

No complaints there.

From someone who lost her mom to cancer 9 years ago, and still misses her each day, I hope you have the best vacation ever, as does she. I wish I had had the opportunity to share this experience with mom. My heart goes out to your mom, you, and your family.

All my best,

That made me tear up. My first cruise was with my mom and grandma. She even swam with the stingrays at 80 years old. It's too stressful for Grandma to go anymore, but I really do treasure that I was able to go on two cruises with her. Not everybody gets that experience and I'm sure your daughter will look back on this cruise fondly because she got to spend it with her Grandma.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy making those memories together. I'm so glad that Carnival was able to work with you.

Thank you for sharing this. It's wonderful to know that there are still genuinely nice people in this world.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your mother, and your kids have a great time with their "Nanny"

I have a Nana who is Suffering from Alzheimer's, and It's nice to look back on the better times I had with her, I'm sure your kids will keep these memories with them for a lifetime and do the same.

Archived