What is offered to drink (for no charge) at dinner?

leerobbs

I read a post "live from the Emerald" that reports in the dining room nothing is offered to drink at dinner (no charge) such as ice tea, lemonade. The poster even said that water was available, but only after asking and then it did not come with much excitement. If they have stopped providing ice tea that is pretty pathetic. I personally drink water so maybe it will still be available, surely this must be a misunderstanding. I wonder what is available in the buffet for breakfast and lunch? Any recent cruisers have similar experience?

I read a post "live from the Emerald" that reports in the dining room nothing is offered to drink at dinner (no charge) such as ice tea, lemonade. The poster even said that water was available, but only after asking and then it did not come with much excitement. If they have stopped providing ice tea that is pretty pathetic. I personally drink water so maybe it will still be available, surely this must be a misunderstanding. I wonder what is available in the buffet for breakfast and lunch? Any recent cruisers have similar experience?

I find this very hard to believe.

Sounds to me like lazy waitstaff.

We have always had water/ice tea to choose from.

I think someone was very 'confused' here. Water, coffee, or iced tea is always served with dinner (milk if you ask), your choice. Either they didn't understand the waiter, or the waiter didn't understand them. So no need for the word 'pathetic' ;), you will be able to have your choice from the list I just gave with every dinner. :) :)

On the lunch buffet, there will be coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade (and milk if you ask). For breakfast, coffee, tea, iced tea, juice and/or milk.

On our cruses last year (5 for 96 days), we were always serve water with dinner. Our waiter did not ask. he just poured it into the glass. One of our table mates wanted iced tea. It was waiting for her every night. We were always offered coffee and tea after dinnner.

On our cruses last year (5 for 96 days), we were always serve water with dinner. Our waiter did not ask. he just poured it into the glass. One of our table mates wanted iced tea. It was waiting for her every night. We were always offered coffee and tea after dinnner.

To add a bit to Paul's answer. We have also been asked if we prefer ships water or bottled water, even in the dining room.

To add a bit to Paul's answer. We have also been asked if we prefer ships water or bottled water, even in the dining room.

Yes, especially the first night they will give you a choice of purchasing bottled water or drinking the free tap.

I shudder to ask, but what sort of ice tea is available?

Is it that Yankee disgrace of unsweetened tea where you are expected to spend a 1/2 hour stirring to try to get some sugar to dissolve (or have your mouth pucker due to the tannin?) :rolleyes:

Or, even worse, that surely-designed-by-somebody-who-hates-tea stuff made from syrup that comes out of the soda fountain? :eek:

Or is it that nectar of the gods, sweet tea, where in the South we have figured out that sugar dissolves better while the tea is still hot? (And that syrup concentrate stuff doesn't qualify as tea.) :D

SirWired

It is unsweetened iced tea, made from a syrup.

I know others here tend to not like it, but for me I found it quite good, not your normal soda gun variety. But then again, I also have no issues with the coffee served, I found it good as well and was wondering what the complaints were about. Of course, I also think any place that proclaims to "Proudly brew Starbucks" needs to examine why they proclaim they proudly serve the world's worst coffee......

That being said, as I prefer sugar substitute when sweetening anything, I wouldn't touch a glass of sweet tea with a 10 foot pole.

A friend of mind did not like the iced tea served in the dining room. So she ordered hot tea and a large glass of ice. Brewed the tea adding the sugar while hot and then continued to add the ice. After the second night the wait staff had both the hot tea and ice waiting for her. I personally had no problem with the iced tea.

A friend of mind did not like the iced tea served in the dining room. So she ordered hot tea and a large glass of ice. Brewed the tea adding the sugar while hot and then continued to add the ice. After the second night the wait staff had both the hot tea and ice waiting for her. I personally had no problem with the iced tea.

I do the same thing when I would like a good glass of tea, especially at the buffet. The syrup coffee and tea just aren't anything like we are used to drinking.

The ice tea is great I have had no problem getting it in the dinning room no charge there is no charge for tea, coffee or milk. Go to the assigned seating you get much more personal attention and is this not what you pay for. Take first seating you make all the shows in time.

Is it that Yankee disgrace of unsweetened tea where you are expected to spend a 1/2 hour stirring to try to get some sugar to dissolve (or have your mouth pucker due to the tannin?) :rolleyes:

Or, even worse, that surely-designed-by-somebody-who-hates-tea stuff made from syrup that comes out of the soda fountain? :eek:

Or is it that nectar of the gods, sweet tea, where in the South we have figured out that sugar dissolves better while the tea is still hot? (And that syrup concentrate stuff doesn't qualify as tea.) :D

SirWired

Thankfully it was unsweetened and quite good. As a diabetic, I would go into shock if I had any Southern ice tea. I don't even add any artifical sweetener. I prefer fresh lemon and I'm good to go! More and more restaurants, I find, are giving you unsweetened so you have the option to add whatever you want.

SirWired

Not all of us living in the south like our tea with the sickly gooey sugar in it. There are those of us that prefer our ice tea straight with nothing added. Maybe that is why many southerners have a weight problem! I like mine straight and be conservative with the ice. I don't want some diluted barely flavored water.

Another southern viewpoint

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread - I was starting to get a little worried that we would have a nightly 'issue' on what to drink with our dinner, since it did seem like, on that other post, that just asking for water was a hassle or wasn't taken too well by the waitstaff. I was beginning to think that we would have to walk into the dining room carrying a glass of something from the buffet drink stations, lol!

And to the poster who said to order hot tea with a glass of ice, AWESOME idea.... might have to do that, because I can never get mine to taste just right. Thank you!

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread - I was starting to get a little worried that we would have a nightly 'issue' on what to drink with our dinner, since it did seem like, on that other post, that just asking for water was a hassle or wasn't taken too well by the waitstaff. I was beginning to think that we would have to walk into the dining room carrying a glass of something from the buffet drink stations, lol!

And to the poster who said to order hot tea with a glass of ice, AWESOME idea.... might have to do that, because I can never get mine to taste just right. Thank you!

We have been on nearly 20 Princess cruises, and I don't remember ever having to ask for water. Our waiters have always kept an eye on everyone's glass and refilled as needed.

Archived