Packing Medications Through Customs

colomom

Since I will be dealing with customs for the first time, I have a question regarding packing my daily meds and vitamins.

I have used teeny plastic ziploc bags before, two for each day, with various pills in each. Very convenient and they take up alot less room than bottles.

My question is...will customs need to see the prescription information and the vitamin information (ie: labels on the bottles) or will this be an issue? I take some supplements like Milk Thistle that might look strange. Would copies of the labels suffice?

If I have to I can pack all the bottles in my checked bag...

TIA for your replies.

Since I will be dealing with customs for the first time, I have a question regarding packing my daily meds and vitamins.

I have used teeny plastic ziploc bags before, two for each day, with various pills in each. Very convenient and they take up alot less room than bottles.

My question is...will customs need to see the prescription information and the vitamin information (ie: labels on the bottles) or will this be an issue? I take some supplements like Milk Thistle that might look strange. Would copies of the labels suffice?

If I have to I can pack all the bottles in my checked bag...

TIA for your replies.

You need always to carry your medications -- at least those that you can't do without! -- in your carry-on luggage. You never know when your checked luggage might take a different vacation than you! They (TSA) highly recommend that you keep your prescriptions in clearly marked bottles or boxes with a copy of the prescription attached. Copies of labels of your supplements (I'm assuming those are "over-the-counter"?) should be ok.

If you buy your prescription meds in those big 3-month supply containers, you can go to your local pharmacy and have them repackaged in small bottles, with a copy of the prescription attached, good for the length of your trip (plus a few days, just in case you get delayed somewhere..)

I always pack my meds together-- in their bottles with prescriptions attached -- in a clear zip-lock bag. Usually there isn't any issue. I announce that "I have meds in here" (pointing to my carry-on) and I'm waved through. But there have been two separate occasions where I've been stopped, where the meds were carefully examined, I was asked questions, the prescription labels read....so I always am careful to have everything together and clearly labelled, "just in case". I also have meds that I self-inject. For those, I also bring a letter from my doctor indicating what they are, and that the needles there are for self-injecting.

Have a great trip!

We have had lengthy conversations on this board about this subject. IF you are willing to risk having your medications/vitamins confiscated, then you can make the choice to use your little ziplocs.

We cannot risk traveling without our life sustaining drugs so always bring them in pharmacy labled bottles. My DH carries his own in his carryon and I carry mine.

You will hear people who will say they have traveled for years and had no problem taking meds withuot proper containers and others of us will relate we have personally witnessed passengers having their medications tossed out.

You know there is no risk if you carry them in proper containers. There is risk if you do not.

If you want your drugs and vitamins to be opened and handled then use the little Zip-Loc bags because that is exactly what is going to happen most of the time.

Without proper packaging you have a number of risks especially if you are young.

Thanks for the responses folks, some things I did not consider. I was leery about starting this thread but when I searched "medications" and "pills" all I could find was stuff about seasickness.

I will have to contact Medco (mail order pharmacy) and see if they can send me some small bottles with my prescription info printed on them because I do have gigantic bottles for a couple. I will also shop for smaller bottles of vitamins and supplements. I will pack them in my carry on, better safe then sorry.

We have never had customs agents in any country ask us about prescription drugs - possibly, they may have asked if we were carrying any illicit drugs, but I don't even think that.

We always make sure prescription drugs are clearly marked, in their proper containers (drug stores will do that for you), and non-prescription (over the counter) drugs - we only carry the needed amount for while we're travelling, the rest go in carry-on. They can usually be easily replaced, plus, their not life threatening if you don't have them!

Never, ever carry prescription drugs in unmarked bags!

You didn't say whose customs agent you are worried about?? Not sure if you're concerned about leaving the country (whichever country that is) or returning home?? Some countries are much more stringent than others.

In 30 years I have never had any one ask about medications in the US, Europe or the Middle East when traveling.

I have left medications in original Rx bottles and have dumped all of them in plastic bags. Either way never have had a problem. Always put in my carryon. Generally have mine and my husbands in separate containers.

I always travel with a list of all our meds as well.

You didn't say whose customs agent you are worried about?? Not sure if you're concerned about leaving the country (whichever country that is) or returning home?? Some countries are much more stringent than others.

I am in Colorado, USA.

Not really "worried" as I will be going through customs in your beautiful country. I guess that's all (??) because we sail from Vancouver but we fly home from Anchorage. Is that right?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything...

Be sure to bring at least four or five days extra supply above what you expect to need, just in case. In the event you do not get home for whatever reason on the date you expect, you will have your medication with you. I always am sure to have a few extras.

I am in Colorado, USA.

Not really "worried" as I will be going through customs in your beautiful country. I guess that's all (??) because we sail from Vancouver but we fly home from Anchorage. Is that right?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything...

Don't sweat it! From what I've seen, you have everything under control. Make sure you have you're meds documented. Canadian customs officers are the best - we love 'Muricans' :)

Coming home - don't carry anything you don't need to. Pact it all. You'll have more of a hassle getting back into the US than coming into Canada. Don't forget your passport!!

Re-reading the title of this thread -- it's not CUSTOMS that you need to worry about...rather it's the TSA -- the folks who screen your luggage at the airport, do the full-body scans, etc. We've never had a problem with Customs agents, either flying in/out of countries, or in the countries themselves.

You don't need to do all the over preparing. How are they even going to know you have them?

They do lots of 'random inspections' and your bag might be the one that is picked for no particular reason or maybe when x-rayed, something in the bag caught their attention.

Incidental to that search, they could discover the meds and then start questioning.

Just because it never happened before, one cannot count on it not happening the next time.

I travel all the time with the same articles in my carryon and sometimes they open it and sometimes not. Same airports, same airline, same contents, same bag. Sometimes it is inspected and sometimes it is not.

Why take the risk unless your meds are not critical to you and you are fine about possibly having them confiscated. I cannot take the chance.

You don't need to do all the over preparing. How are they even going to know you have them?

Random searches will be significantly more frequent as precautions arising from the Christmas Day attempt are put into effect. Because of politically correct avoidance of profiling, even little old blue-eyed, white-haired grandmothers must expect increased scrutiny of their luggage. Controlled substances - which includes prescription meds - are required to be kept in identifying containers - that means you need the pharmacist'sl label, and not just a baggy with loose pills.

We always carry all medications in their original bottles.

One time the TSA opened our medical bag and glanced at a couple of the bottles -- didn't say anything to us -- was just loooking.

I would never take the risk of putting anything into plastic bags and then having TSA toss them out.

And we would never put medicine bottles into checked bags.

As usual, this thread is going to degenerate into "I NEVER bother with putting my meds in anything but one big zip bag, all loose, and I rummage through them every day picking out what I want.." kinds of post.

Indeed, not every person is thoroughly searched, not every bag, even carry-on bag is thoroughly searched, and yes, some people use those cute little "daily pill reminder" containers or zip bags or whatever and have never been stopped or searched.

But if you truly are carrying meds that you can't do without...then don't take a chance. You could well be stopped..I have been, at least twice..and if I hadn't had documentation it is very likely my meds would have been confiscated. Which would have meant I could not proceed, as I cannot manage without my meds, for even one day.

But hey..you wanna risk it, go ahead.

I think that it comes down to two things, those you can't live without and those that you can.

7 days without my blood pressure meds could be deadly where 7 days without my vitamins is no big deal.

If they are necessary to keep you ALIVE then they should be in your carry-on (thanks u-cats) and they should be properly labeled so TSA (or any other customs officials) has no reason to question them. Losing them is an unacceptable risk. Taking extra (just in case) is a very smart thing to do.

Anything else...well, that's up to you.

Another part of this discussion, is the fact that some people have some many meds that are important to living. We have to do mail order according to our insurance. So we have some huge bottles. We package our pills in small bags that are sealed (with a machine like a seal a meal but it is for meds). Since I flew Dec. 30th out of Baltimore, I carried the paper part of the prescription. I am one that has never been asked about pills but we have had other checks. This time they pull out our sand bag for our GPS because it has metal pieces in it. They just pushed the meds on the side. So anything can happen.

It's a good idea to carry meds in their original container, always, whether traveling city to city, state to state or country to country. Several years ago, I read of someone who was detained in Florida because they had meds and no documentation.

This topic seems to come up several time a year. My personal experience as a person who now lives 5 mos in AZ and bring my meds down from Canada, I have never had a customs official be remotely concerned about our meds. Prior to this we had a weekend home in WA state and I sometimes crossed the border often as often as twice a week over 22 years and never have have had a problem with meds in individual does containers.

Archived