Live from the Crown Princess 7 day Western

vickie_bernie

Hello all, from aboard the Crown Princess.

First let me say this has been the coldest sailaway ever for us. Woke up this morning after spending the night at the Rennaissance (great deal thru one of the online auction places) to Rain and Wind and very cold temps. This is colder than our sailaway to Alaska last May! Heck it is even colder than it is at home right now and we live in Vancouver B.C., now the rain we are use to, maybe it followed us.

We decided since we couldn't really walk too far because of the clothing we had on we decided to go to the pier to board early. The port had I think about 7 ships in, including Two RCL (one being the Oasis), one HAL, the Ruby, One Costa, and one other I couldn't name, and us. We left from Terminal 21.

We arrived at the pier at 1130, and dropped off the bags, we quickly made it to the holding area where we sat for about 10 min in the preferred area (for elite and platinum members). At 1145 we got to check in and were given our cards. We then went upstairs where we were once again seated in an area, and had to wait until noon to board. We were on right at noon, was probably one of the first 50 to get on.

Went directly to our room we have a balcony cabin on Baja deck aft beside friends of ours who we have sailed with before (Larry/Amy). We got a quick bite to eat in HC and then went down to Vines for some wine. Ran into our other friends we are sailing with (Anita/Richard).

After muster drill I did go up on deck but it was just to darn cold and wet so didn't last long. The sailaway party was held in teh atrium, didn't go.

The internet minutes for platinum/elite free package does not get the bonus minutes, actually stated in the patter.

Did not get our bags until 530 pm! Considering we were the first on the ship, I guess we get the bags last. We are now unpacked and ready for the fun to begin.

We booked Crown Grill for Monday night (Italian night) for 4 at 8 pm. First time at Crown Grill, have done Sabatinis many times.

ship looks lovely, haven't sailed the CRown before but spent 20 days on the Emerald 2 years ago.

We have booked a back to back but we are getting off the CRown next week then spending three nights in Fort Lauderdale then getting on the Ruby on the 19th so I will do a live thread then too.

Went up to HC just now looking forward to the seafood buffet only to see shrimp, no lobster, no crab. I know the did big seafood buffet last week, not sure why we don't get it! Will ask around.

The Captain said tonight could be a little rough, and isn't anticipating too much sun tomorrow, but Monday should be good for Grand Cayman.

Vickie of Vickie & Bernie

Hi Vickie

Thanks so much for the report. Sorry the weather is so c-o-l-d for the start of your cruise! Wishing you warm weather the rest of the way.

I'll be on board the Crown in early March....so your live reports will be greatly appreciated. One question...can you let me know what types of tapas are being served in Vines? I know they have sushi...heard they added tapas to the available appetizer choices.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Nancy

Hi Vickie

Thanks so much for the report. Sorry the weather is so c-o-l-d for the start of your cruise! Wishing you warm weather the rest of the way.

I'll be on board the Crown in early March....so your live reports will be greatly appreciated. One question...can you let me know what types of tapas are being served in Vines? I know they have sushi...heard they added tapas to the available appetizer choices.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Nancy

yes they recently started serving complimentary tapas and sushi, before you had to pay for it. I will check out what types of tapas, normally is a leg of lamb, large shrimp, and others, will look into

Thanks for doing a Live; I hope you have a fantastic cruise, and I hope the weather warms up quickly! The entire Southeast is in a deep freeze (I think it was in the 40s in Miami yesterday or the day before!) so I'm not surprised your sailaway was so unpleasant. Tell the captain to step on it and get you further south as quickly as possible!

I hope you enjoy the Crown; I had a wonderful cruise on her two summers ago and recall her with fondness -- gorgeous ship with a very nice staff.

Hi Vickie, we are taking over your ship next Saturday the 16th and are wondering what is playing on MUTS this week?? ;)

We are hoping your week long trip takes forever to complete as we need more time to pack our luggage. Seriously though, ENJOY your cruise as we are sooooooo looking forward to our turn next week :)

Cheers!

We sailed Dec 12-19 and had heavy rain for our sailaway but the next 7 days were very good - 80-90 and sun with some cloud each day. May every port but tendered in Roatan and cut short the cays by a few hours. If you have Edgar on Baja (329) say hi. Try the chicken salad in International and the Crown Grill was awesome. We had Cecilly as our waitress. ENJOY - we'll relive the 7 days by following your reports.

Have a great cruise on the Crown. Sailed her on November 14th. We were very fortunate and had excellent weather all the way through our cruise. I guess you never know. Hope you have a lovely time and check out Phoenix Rising in the Wheelhouse. They are really good

Thanks for the awesome blog/report Vickie. We will be boarding next Saturday-so I will be following your reports! Hope the weather improves. Can you please tell me 2 things-

(1) are they playing the play-off games (NFL) on the MUTS screen?

(2) how is your room? We also have a balcony on the baja level (towards the back end of the ship) and have heard about issues with room temps.

THANK YOU!!

Hey, Vickie! You made it :D !!!!! I'm so jealous!

Sorry your weather is so bad, but hopefully you're getting the bad stuff out of the way early, with bright skies and warm sunshine ahead.

Like Karen in the midwest, we're having bitter cold winds here in the east, but that just motivates me all the more to get my packing for next week done. Your post will help with that, I'm sure! We miss you over on the roll call: Jerry and I have challenged each other to see who is the "master of all things snail" - that's our escargot contest! Sorry you didn't have the seafood buffet. I'm looking forward to it, and hoping you get a second chance for it on the Ruby.

I'm really going to be enjoying your post this week, and keeping ours active - we're almost at 1500!!!!!

Be well, have fun, relax, enjoy - you waited a long time, so savor it!!!

We are looking forward to sailing on the Crown Jan. 30, so this is great to read right now. We are also worried about the weather.

Let us know how warm the water is in each location...maybe it will be warmer than the air!

Also, let us know what you do in each location. I am especially interested in hearing about your beach/tour experiences in Grand Cayman and Roatan. We are still trying to decide whether to do the stingrays and Rum Point with the ship or just head out to Seven Mile beach on Grand Cayman.

I hope you get to see some of Roatan besides the port--I'd be interested in anything you have to say. We're doing a tour there and going to West Bay beach.

We were on the Crown last year to do the eastern Carib--loved it! Especially the aft pool!

Have fun!

thanks,

barb

Way to go Vickie............. New you'd start a live thread. It's always interesting to hear what you have to say:D Sure hope the weather gets better. On our Australia / South pacific cruise last fall after we left Sydney, didn't have good weather for almost 2 wks. Just enforced why I don't want to cruise Alaska.

Have fun!!!

Hello all, from aboard the Crown Princess.

Went directly to our room we have a balcony cabin on Baja deck aft beside friends of ours who we have sailed with before (Larry/Amy). We got a quick bite to eat in HC and then went down to Vines for some wine. Ran into our other friends we are sailing with (Anita/Richard).

Vickie of Vickie & Bernie

Are you sailing with Larry and Amy from Orlando?

If so please say hello from Kevin

We are looking forward to sailing on the Crown Jan. 30, so this is great to read right now. We are also worried about the weather.

Let us know how warm the water is in each location...maybe it will be warmer than the air!

Also, let us know what you do in each location. I am especially interested in hearing about your beach/tour experiences in Grand Cayman and Roatan. We are still trying to decide whether to do the stingrays and Rum Point with the ship or just head out to Seven Mile beach on Grand Cayman.

I hope you get to see some of Roatan besides the port--I'd be interested in anything you have to say. We're doing a tour there and going to West Bay beach.

We were on the Crown last year to do the eastern Carib--loved it! Especially the aft pool!

Have fun!

thanks,

barb

We are also on the Crown on the 30th.

Please post the temps of the Ports of call.

Thanks for doing a Live thread from the Crown Vickie :) I will be watching your posts closely because as you disembark next Saturday we will be embarking. I was really feeling bad for the really cold wather you were having today and hoping it warms up drastically next weekend. It was sunny and much warmer in Las Vegas today.

I will take over posting LIVE from the Crown next Saturday ;)

Thanks for posting live. We look forward to your reports.

We were recently on Crown for 15 days (end of Oct/Nov) and enjoyed our cruise so much we are thinking of booking her again for Feb.

Was wondering if you could report on the entertainment so we can see if it's the same or new. I know the production shows would be the same but we'd like to know if the other entertainers are the same too.

Enjoy!:)

Hi Vickie, we are taking over your ship next Saturday the 16th and are wondering what is playing on MUTS this week?? ;)

We are hoping your week long trip takes forever to complete as we need more time to pack our luggage. Seriously though, ENJOY your cruise as we are sooooooo looking forward to our turn next week :)

Cheers!

so far just football, I did glance and see the latest star trek is playing tonight (after football), and Julie & Julia later on

Thanks for the awesome blog/report Vickie. We will be boarding next Saturday-so I will be following your reports! Hope the weather improves. Can you please tell me 2 things-

(1) are they playing the play-off games (NFL) on the MUTS screen?

(2) how is your room? We also have a balcony on the baja level (towards the back end of the ship) and have heard about issues with room temps.

THANK YOU!!

1. see previous posts

2. room is great, temp is fine, we actually had heat on yesterday... hoping to use the AC soon.

feeling a lot of vibration not sure if it is a ship thing or a cabin location thing, or stabalizers being used more, not a real issue though

Are you sailing with Larry and Amy from Orlando?

If so please say hello from Kevin

yes we are, we sailed with them on the Emerald two years ago, then they came to Vancouver to do Alaska and stayed with us, and now we are right beside them. I will say hi to them for you Kevin

Archived