Travel Alarm Clock Recommendation?

Dr. Jack Daniels

C'mon, you're on vacation! Who needs an alarm clock!

Seriously, so many different types available. A Radio/Alarm combo is useless on board (no reception), so really any basic small alarm clock will do the job. The only feature I might look for is an illuminated display, plus if possible I'd try them to make sure the alarm is loud enough (some portables only have a fairly soft "beep").

Mine came from our local drug store. I like it because it is just an old fashioned clock, rather than digital. I have such a hard time figuring out how to set the time/alarm on our digital travel clock... so it stays home. I think I paid all of $7 for the battery powered, simple to use, old fashioned folding travel alarm clock.

Mine is kind of like this: http://www.magellans.com/store/Alarm_ClocksAC413?Args=

I have had this little fold up travel one from WalMart for several years now and it is great. I liked it so much I bought another to use every day.

It runs on one AAA Battery that lasts a long time.

I change the battery in it when I pack it for a cruise to make sure it stays working.

Indiglo Travel Alarm Clock with Large LCD Display

Around $10 last time I bought it.

Elgin 3502T Indiglo® Travel Alarm Clock with Large LCD Display

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge it. ;)

Mine came from our local drug store. I like it because it is just an old fashioned clock, rather than digital. I have such a hard time figuring out how to set the time/alarm on our digital travel clock... so it stays home. I think I paid all of $7 for the battery powered, simple to use, old fashioned folding travel alarm clock.

Mine is kind of like this: http://www.magellans.com/store/Alarm_ClocksAC413?Args=

But does it TICK? I first bought a great size, wonderful looking, perfect (I thought) travel clock in a drug store. Was really happy with it until I put in the battery and the ticking near drove me nuts! That thing was returned immediately.

I love the LL Bean. Decent quality, fair price, packs small, easy to read and no ticking.

If your's doesn't tick, great. Almost all of the drug store ones do. :(

I’m looking for recommendations on a good travel alarm clock in the $15 - $30 range.

Thanks!

i bought a small wind-up clock that doesnt tick ( drives me crazy ) at walmart for about $6. it does not elumante but it still is perfect for my cruises.

Wal Mart has all kinds. We bought one for 8 bucks. All we needed was an alarm clock for the guest room, not necessarily a clock radio. It's electric with a batter back up in case of power failure. We certainly could take it on our next cruise, and didn't find it necessary to spend $30.00 or more.

I suggest a Wal Mart run. ;)

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=alarm+clock

If you are bringing a cell phone, why buy an alarm clock, just something else to carry...

Just be careful that you won't be charged a ton of money just for keeping your phone on when you're roaming! There are many threads about cell phone bill "surprises".

However, I believe that if you want to use the phone just as a clock, you can remove the SIM card. Check with your phone company just to be sure.

We always use our cell phone alarm. Put it in "airplane" mode to avoid international roaming fees.

Most in cabin phones cabin phones can easily be programmed for alarm; they have the added benefit of ALWAYS being on ship time.

I wouldn't be able to hear the alarm on my cell phone. I'm getting a Big Ben alarm clock from Rite Aid. I remember my mother had one when I was growing up - almost 50 years ago. I was in a local Rite Aid recently and I happened to see them.

Even though I'm on vacation, I still need to know what time it is, for meals and/or being on time for excursions.

But does it TICK? I first bought a great size, wonderful looking, perfect (I thought) travel clock in a drug store. Was really happy with it until I put in the battery and the ticking near drove me nuts! That thing was returned immediately.

I love the LL Bean. Decent quality, fair price, packs small, easy to read and no ticking.

If your's doesn't tick, great. Almost all of the drug store ones do. :(

No, it doesn't tick...I'd throw it in the trash if it did. Just a little battery powered clock with a standard face instead of digital.

I’m looking for recommendations on a good travel alarm clock in the $15 - $30 range.

Thanks!

I bought a $5. plug in little alarm clock at Wal-Mart. I bring a power-strip (for my camera battery, computer, iPod) and I also plug my little alarm clock in. It is literally smaller than your hand, keeps great time and has a bright and dimmer switch on the digits. Don't waste your money on anything more expensive (in my opinion)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Alarm_ClocksAC354?Args=

$19.85

Benefits: lightweight to carry on excursions, battery operated to avoid power fluctuations on board, has button to light display (enough to light up the bathroom at 2am)

Why not use cell phone?... so can set it to ships time, in case it's different from location/zone.

Peg

I have had this little fold up travel one from WalMart for several years now and it is great. I liked it so much I bought another to use every day.

It runs on one AAA Battery that lasts a long time.

I change the battery in it when I pack it for a cruise to make sure it stays working.

Indiglo Travel Alarm Clock with Large LCD Display

Around $10 last time I bought it.

Elgin 3502T Indiglo® Travel Alarm Clock with Large LCD Display

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge it. ;)

I have this one, too! I've had it for about 10 years and I love it. I can reach over and press the button and it lights up without waking everyone.

If you are bringing a cell phone, why buy an alarm clock, just something else to carry...

Your cell phone will change to the local time zone (think Caymans to Coz) but your SHIP MAY NOT CHANGE THEIR TIME. They will let you know if and when to change your clocks/watches.

Don't take a chance on missing the ship because you thought you had more time. Happens ALL THE TIME.

Cheap little alarm clock/watch = peace of mind.

I've been looking for one that has the numbers lit (like our digital at home) but not the back lit up. I know you can buy one that you push the button to light, but like some have mentioned, when it is lit it is VERY bright and by the time I wake up enough to feel around for the clock and get blinded by the light I'm pretty much awake. I really want one that I can't just glance over at. Any suggestions?

Archived