Internet cost in stateroom

Kybabe

My DH is wondering about the cost of using the internet in our stateroom. Princess website says you can buy internet packages. Is that for use in your stateroom or do they have to be used in the Internet Cafe? How much are they?

Internet access costs are the same for the Internet Cafe or using WiFi from your room. The best prices are on packages from about $75.

Past passengers at the Platinum and Elite levels are awarded basic internet packages without cost.

One can use it from your cabin and any areas on the ship with a signal logging in with your laptop, and also at the internet cafe using the ship computers. But when using your laptop, please follow the precise instructions for logging off.

• 7 months later...
Are you sure.I read that Princess has done away with the free internet to Platinum and now has a credit that is taken off a paid plan.In answer to Rose2

This is true. They did away with the unlimited internet quite some time ago. Now you buy a package and are given $ credit which varies depending on the length of the cruise.

Are you sure.I read that Princess has done away with the free internet to Platinum and now has a credit that is taken off a paid plan.In answer to Rose2

Yes, Platinum and Elite no longer get unlimited free internet. They get a credit of $75, $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise. This ceredit can only be used to offset internet charges.

Yes, Platinum and Elite no longer get unlimited free internet. They get a credit of $75, $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise. This ceredit can only be used to offset internet charges.

And, each Platinum/Elite passenger gets the internet credit (not just one per stateroom) ... so, even if only one person plans to use the service both should sign-up and the one person can use the time on both accounts.

I spoke with a Princess cruise consultant yesterday about WI-FI and my laptop and she said that many cruisers that bring thier own laptops just sit on their balcony, aim for the restraunts in port (while in port) and they can usually pick up the signal for free. She said that alot of the restraunts and hotels at port use WI-FI as a way to get travelers into their establishments, sna it can be easily picked up. I'm going to try it this next cruise and see if it works.

On your shipboard account, if Platinum or above, one sees a debit amount of the package plus a credit amount for the benefit. So if the package costs $100 and my benefit for that cruise is $100 the net effect to the shipboard account is zero.

Each account is separate, so when we both sign up at the start of the cruise we monitor the minutes available (shown each time one signs on or off), and switch to the other account at the right time. The accounts are by passenger name and cabin number.

I spoke with a Princess cruise consultant yesterday about WI-FI and my laptop and she said that many cruisers that bring thier own laptops just sit on their balcony, aim for the restraunts in port (while in port) and they can usually pick up the signal for free. She said that alot of the restraunts and hotels at port use WI-FI as a way to get travelers into their establishments, sna it can be easily picked up. I'm going to try it this next cruise and see if it works.

A Princess CSR said that? :eek:

she said that many cruisers that bring thier own laptops just sit on their balcony, aim for the restraunts in port (while in port) and they can usually pick up the signal for free. She said that alot of the restraunts and hotels at port use WI-FI as a way to get travelers into their establishments, sna it can be easily picked up.

As somebody who has tried this on multiple occasions, I'll categorically state that it's pretty much an urban legend in most ports. While I have no doubt that it's technically possible, in practice I have found the ship is generally docked far too great a distance from that restaurant's or hotel's router. No harm in giving it a try, but don't count on it.:cool:

A Princess CSR said that? :eek:

Yes. She said that she personally had never tried it, but that others did, and it worked. Now my bubble has burst--have a new laptop and was planning on taking it with as I would rather spend the internet money somewhere else on the ship. Has it worked for anyone?:confused:

While the ship may dock too far away generally to pick up a signal you can always carry you laptop, netbook, or eReader off and sit someplace close to a business that offers the free internet. There is usually time. Plus in many ports you will find computers set up where you can get a much better value than you can on board.

Kevin

Yes. She said that she personally had never tried it, but that others did, and it worked. Now my bubble has burst--have a new laptop and was planning on taking it with as I would rather spend the internet money somewhere else on the ship. Has it worked for anyone?:confused:

I would not count on any signal from shore.

Here is the price break down to pre purchase minutes.

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $58.95

(Includes 20 bonus minutes for

prepurchasing an Internet time package.)

190 minutes

Item #6039 – $78.95

(Includes 40 bonus minutes for

310 minutes

Item #6302 – $103.95

(Includes 60 bonus minutes for

580 minutes

Item #6040 – $178.95

(Includes 80 bonus minutes for

1100 minutes (for World Cruise only)

Item #6300 – $253.95

(Includes 100 bonus minutes for

High costs for wifi onboard are only half the story. Paying those costs for service sometimes much slower than dialup only added insult to injury. We took a new netbook on the Ruby to be able to monitor our BA flights when they went on strike. I've read many threads complaining about the same thing and that the fastest time to use your computer is very early or very late. Good luck on that because otherwise those minutes fly by fast and there's not a lot to show for it as far as checking email or surfing the web.

• 1 month later...

We will be traveling with my parents who are Elite level, and we are bringing our laptop to use with their free minutes. Question is, do we need to go downstairs and purchase a package first (which will later be credited back) and then start using the laptop in the cabin? Or do we just fire it up and follow the instructions for logging on?

We will be traveling with my parents who are Elite level, and we are bringing our laptop to use with their free minutes. Question is, do we need to go downstairs and purchase a package first (which will later be credited back) and then start using the laptop in the cabin? Or do we just fire it up and follow the instructions for logging on?

Just fire it up and follow the instructions. You will need to know the cabin number and birth date of the parent whose minutes you will be using.

Archived