do ladies have to wear nylons on formal nights?

rade2rising

If your friend is more comfortable and feels more appropriately dressed with hose, she should certainly wear them. There is no rule one way or the other. You choose whatever you wish.

Many will choose not to wear them, while others feel one is not appropriately dressed without them, expecially in winter. The one thing most people seem to agree with (notice I said MOST and not ALL) is that hose are best worn with closed-toed shoes such as pumps or slingbacks.

BTW, if you don't "see" hose on a cruise, that doesn't mean they aren't being worn, because there are new sheer hose that look invisible on the leg. Unless you get right down to eye level with the leg, you are not likely to detect them. I wear invisible hose with slingbacks for dressier or formal looks. I wear them with pumps in winter - I get too cold with bare legs.

Many women wear strappy sandals with formal attire. That poses a tricky challenge if the woman is also wearing hosiery because of the seam and heavier knit at the toe. There are open toed nylons, but I havene't tried thema nd don't know how well they work.

That's really not a barrier...good sandalfoot hose don't have heavier knit at the toe and the seam can be positioned so it doesn't show at all.

There have been so many hosiery debates here I think it's safe to say that it's all personal choice!

That's really not a barrier...good sandalfoot hose don't have heavier knit at the toe and the seam can be positioned so it doesn't show at all.

There have been so many hosiery debates here I think it's safe to say that it's all personal choice!

well i just want to make sure its in good taste i would hate for her to wear it and then get embarassed because she looks odd.

I don't think there is an absolute "rule" that works for everyone.

I will wear hosiery if the dress looks better with it. I have even worn extremely sheer toed hose and if anyone cares to look that close....go ahead and get on your hands and knees to see if I have hose on.

There are other dresses I have that I never wear hose with, especially if they are longer in length.

My 18 year old daughter is getting ready for her winter formal, she's wearing a short dress with opaque hose and open toed shoes. You can see the look in fashion magazines everywhere.

So there is no "rule", do what pleases you best. I've seen plenty of women who would have looked fabulous if only they had worn hosiery and others who should have taken the hose off and left them back in the cabin.

If your friend is more comfortable and feels more appropriately dressed with hose, she should certainly wear them. There is no rule one way or the other. You choose whatever you wish.

Many will choose not to wear them, while others feel one is not appropriately dressed without them, expecially in winter. The one thing most people seem to agree with (notice I said MOST and not ALL) is that hose are best worn with closed-toed shoes such as pumps or slingbacks.

I agree.

Hose are never "out", it's simply become acceptable to go bare legged.

So women have a choice as to what looks better with their particular dress, shoes and of course, legs.

However, most everyone agrees that strappy sandals don't look well with hose. Additionally, your feet slide around and barefoot with sandals are a much better look.

BTW, if you don't "see" hose on a cruise, that doesn't mean they aren't being worn, because there are new sheer hose that look invisible on the leg. Unless you get right down to eye level with the leg, you are not likely to detect them. I wear invisible hose with slingbacks for dressier or formal looks. I wear them with pumps in winter - I get too cold with bare legs.

I'll disagree with you on this one. You can always tell if a woman has bare legs or is wearing hosiery, even on television.

Enquiring minds want to know," How old is Older?";):D

Seriously, I always wear hosiery with my dress clothes and heels. I do have some espadrilles that I wear with my capris, and I can hardly wait to change as I can't stand to have my bare feet in shoes. That is one reason that I hardly ever wear sandals. And at the beach, oh the aqua shoes...I'm forever washing those things out.:o

I can just see my 30 year old son now, shaking his head and saying "old people"...now he will mean me!:rolleyes::D

955039491_SensationValentineCruise2008034.jpg.3c6438442e2e7f5429221d77f4d0c96b.jpg

Unless you're wearing strappy sandals I always think hose look much better. On tv I, too, can tell when someone isn't wearing hose. Legs look smoother and much more toned even on a slim woman. But I suppose I'd be considered "old" too! lol

But I suppose I'd be considered "old" too! lol

Just for the sake of saying it, my ultra-funky, living-in-the-big-city neice wore textured hosiery when she came for Christmas dinner. She's in her twenties and doesn't need any help for her lovely cafe-au-lait skin! (Unlike her pasty ol' auntie! :eek:) She wore them for fashion reasons, so it isn't quite as cut and dried as some would have you think.

but to answer your question, you do not have to wear them, but I think the white legged bare look just does not look right and is finally going away. Hose are being worn now more than ever. It just looks like something is missing without them.

I wear hose whenever I am wearing a dress and to be honest if I am dressing in dress slacks I will wear them. I prefer pantyhose to knee high stockings under dress slacks. I feel a person wearing hose has a more "polished" look to them.

If I am going to dinner I always wear some kind of hose, whether it be panty hose or thigh high stockings but I just don't feel like I am dressed with out them. If I am wearing a sun dress just walking around shopping then no because I am probably wearing flip flops or sandals. I have never had a problem with hose and open toe shoes since they make hose that don't have the reinforced toe and you just make sure to pull the light seam under your foot. Been doing it for years. However I work with alot of younger girls 20 something and I know they would not be caught dead in any kind of hose...LOL. It's all a matter of taste.

For me it depends on the shoes. I would never wear hose with strappy sandles, I don't care how sheer they are, you can still see them. Plus I would not want my feet to slide around in them. In closed toe shoes and a cocktail dress, I would wear them. I wear tights with pants and a peep toe shoe.

I agree that it's all a matter of personal taste. However, if you look up proper etiquette for formal attire every one that I have found says that hose are to be worn for formal occasions. I am wearing a cocktail dress and open toed shoes on this cruise and I will wear hose! My legs are way too white ( more white than the rest of me)and have freckles.

I don't consider myself to be old, I'm 42 but am always told that I look younger than that.I am just deciding whether to go for the sandalfoot or to try the toeless. Has anyone worn the toeless?

Plus, my husband loves the look and feel of hose! I say do what you feel most comfortable with! If I had tanned and toned legs I would consider going bare legged. But, I have always thought that wearing hose looked more elegant and polished....JMHO.

By the time my legs have enough color to look good, I am on my way to customs! I agree it's personal choice but I feel more "dressed up" in hose. I have tried on my formal night dresses without hose and to me it just doesn't look or feel right.

I am just deciding whether to go for the sandalfoot or to try the toeless. Has anyone worn the toeless?

Wouldn't it look funny if your toes are all white and pink and bare and your legs were smooth and nude?

I honestly don't get the concept of toeless hose! I haven't seen them on, but I can't help thinking that it would look like you'd pulled them on too tight and tore them! :D

Wouldn't it look funny if your toes are all white and pink and bare and your legs were smooth and nude?

I honestly don't get the concept of toeless hose! I haven't seen them on, but I can't help thinking that it would look like you'd pulled them on too tight and tore them! :D

Thats what I wondered about myself..lol. I haven't seen them on anyone personally either.

Archived