do ladies have to wear nylons on formal nights?

rade2rising

Wouldn't it look funny if your toes are all white and pink and bare and your legs were smooth and nude?

I honestly don't get the concept of toeless hose! I haven't seen them on, but I can't help thinking that it would look like you'd pulled them on too tight and tore them! :D

I haven't seen anyone wear nude hose in years! You want to buy the sheerest shade that you can find. And your toes are supposed to show with strappy sandals. Make sure you have a great pedicure and either wear the toeless ones or none at all.

OP posted that you could buy hose onboard (Princess) at the formal wear rental desk. That could be good to know.

If I am wearing dress pants, I will wear trouser socks as they feel better. Sandals yes or no depending on how I feel. I often wear longer skirts on dresses so really does not matter so much. I will never get "best dressed" but I do like to be comfortable and that usually means some footwear so shoes don't rub.

Wouldn't it look funny if your toes are all white and pink and bare and your legs were smooth and nude?

I honestly don't get the concept of toeless hose! I haven't seen them on, but I can't help thinking that it would look like you'd pulled them on too tight and tore them! :D

One year ago I faced this dilemma and chose to wear toeless sheer hose with my formal attire for a company holiday ball. I had strappy sandals and a pedicure and the tiny "thong" thread between my big toe and next toe was completely invisible under the shoe straps. This was a good compromise for a woman not used to bare legs in the winter. This year I wore no hose with same strappy sandals and I am glad I did. I did not notice any nude hose on any women. I did see a few women with sheer black hose which looked nice. OK, I did not check at knee-high level!;):p

OP posted that you could buy hose onboard (Princess) at the formal wear rental desk. That could be good to know.

If I am wearing dress pants, I will wear trouser socks as they feel better. Sandals yes or no depending on how I feel. I often wear longer skirts on dresses so really does not matter so much. I will never get "best dressed" but I do like to be comfortable and that usually means some footwear so shoes don't rub.

Just another option: Kushyfoot low cut foot covers in nude. These offer a little cushioning at the sole of the foot so you feel more comfortable in closed toe shoes without wearing any hose.

Just another option: Kushyfoot low cut foot covers in nude. These offer a little cushioning at the sole of the foot so you feel more comfortable in closed toe shoes without wearing any hose.

I have never had any luck with these. They always seem to be cut just a little bit different than the shoe and always show.

You wear what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful. If it provides a nice "finished" look to the outfit then why would you ruin the look by going hoseless?

I say,"Big Deal" to the naysayers that say they are "just too uncomfortable". How is it any diffrent than you wearing a great pair of shoes that are too tight, or a tight top or jeans you have no business wearing??

I think it looks horrible to see a beautiful cocktail dress or gown ruined by someone with not-so-nice legs that would have looked better with hose. The weather thing doesn't matter, IMO. People wear hose in Florida and I've seen them worn regularly by locals in the Caribbean. I went to a dinner party last week and it was 60 degrees..chlly for Florida..I and many others wore lightweight wool dresses AND hose..OMG!!:eek:

One year ago I faced this dilemma and chose to wear toeless sheer hose with my formal attire for a company holiday ball. I had strappy sandals and a pedicure and the tiny "thong" thread between my big toe and next toe was completely invisible under the shoe straps. This was a good compromise for a woman not used to bare legs in the winter. This year I wore no hose with same strappy sandals and I am glad I did. I did not notice any nude hose on any women. I did see a few women with sheer black hose which looked nice. OK, I did not check at knee-high level!;):p

I also wore a dress!!!!:D:D

You wear what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful. If it provides a nice "finished" look to the outfit then why would you ruin the look by going hoseless?

I say,"Big Deal" to the naysayers that say they are "just too uncomfortable". How is it any diffrent than you wearing a great pair of shoes that are too tight, or a tight top or jeans you have no business wearing??

I think it looks horrible to see a beautiful cocktail dress or gown ruined by someone with not-so-nice legs that would have looked better with hose. The weather thing doesn't matter, IMO. People wear hose in Florida and I've seen them worn regularly by locals in the Caribbean. I went to a dinner party last week and it was 60 degrees..chlly for Florida..I and many others wore lightweight wool dresses AND hose..OMG!!:eek:

I agree that you should wear what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful (hose or no hose). That is why I haven’t worn hose in years. I quit wearing them when I realized that all I wanted was for the event to end so I could get home and take my hose off. Half the time I ended up taking them off early after getting a run in them anyway. I also don’t wear too tight anything or too loose either.

So how many other kinds of clothing do you wear that feel miserable but you still wear them?? If you looked prettier in your outfit and more polished you'd still go without hose??

I wonder what the people from "What not to Wear" would say!

I agree that you should wear what makes you feel comfortable and beautiful (hose or no hose). That is why I haven’t worn hose in years. I quit wearing them when I realized that all I wanted was for the event to end so I could get home and take my hose off. Half the time I ended up taking them off early after getting a run in them anyway. I also don’t wear too tight anything or too loose either.

So how many other kinds of clothing do you wear that feel miserable but you still wear them?? If you looked prettier in your outfit and more polished you'd still go without hose??

I, personally, don't wear anything that's uncomfortable including hose. It's not worth it.

I make sure I buy outfits that don't require hose.

I have yet to see Stacy London in hose.

I think people should wear what they are comfortable in and don't worry what others think. Admittedly, I tend to care what others think, but not enough to wear hose.

I don't wear anything that makes me miserable. Life is way too short to feel that way. I would still go without hose. There is no way I would feel prettier or more polished wearing hose since they make me itch (expensive or not they still do, there are a lot of fabrics I can't wear) and scratching or wanting to scratch my legs is not a pretty or polished look. I really don't care what the people from "What not to Wear" would say. My husband thinks I look pretty and that is what matters to me.

You do not have to wear hose. I've seen some elegantly dressed women that did not wear hose.

I am SO glad that it is acceptable to be bare legged.

Although it may be acceptable, there are times when a woman would look so much nicer if they had hose on.

I still don't think the subject has an absolute answer. I also think that some of the people stating they are miserable wearing hose perhaps have the wrong size. It's kind of like a man stating that ties are uncomfortable. I'm sure they are if the shirt collar is 2-3 sizes smaller than what they should be wearing.

Although it may be acceptable, there are times when a woman would look so much nicer if they had hose on.

I still don't think the subject has an absolute answer. I also think that some of the people stating they are miserable wearing hose perhaps have the wrong size. It's kind of like a man stating that ties are uncomfortable. I'm sure they are if the shirt collar is 2-3 sizes smaller than what they should be wearing.

For me, it does not matter what size the hose are. They are still uncomfortable and I think I look old in them. Plus, I always wear open-toe shoes. I do not like the look of hosed legs with bare toes.

Unless the person has really jacked up legs, I've never looked at someone and thought their outfit or dress would look better with hose.

For me, it does not matter what size the hose are. They are still uncomfortable and I think I look old in them. Plus, I always wear open-toe shoes. I do not like the look of hosed legs with bare toes.

Unless the person has really jacked up legs, I've never looked at someone and thought their outfit or dress would look better with hose.

I have pale white, chunky, pore-y legs. Trust me, you'd think I'd look better in hose. :D

last time i wore hose or tried to get them on i ended up sitting down on the floor crying and missing formal night (ran my panty hose and my feet were swollen and they were just to tight) that was also the last time i brought anything short to wear.....way below the knee or longer for me...i cant stand the confinement of them either and no matter what size i am or they are they are to constricting on my knee that i had reconstructive surgery on...i havent had them on since even not a cruise...i HATE them and they HATE me!!!

I am an old lady, so my legs are not so great looking. Therefore, I wear longer dresses and skirts.

My feet, however, look OK. When I wear sandals or open toe shoes, I go without stockings. I think it looks better, and it is a lot more comfortable.

I've tried the pantihose with the sandal thong toe arrangement. They were uncomfortable to me. I don't even like sandals with something between my big toe and its sisters! With closed toe shoes, it's a different matter. Then, I want something between me and the shoes.

I have never looked at any other woman's legs or feet, on a ship or otherwise, so I realize that it probably does not matter what I do. No one but me will notice anyway.

Ive not read any responces. But since the title is about nylons,I thought Id share.

I had a recent experince with them,and I wanted to share. to preface it, My Aunt,39,passed away in Nov. She was a bit of a priss,thus the pantyhose.

http://adayinthelifeindixieland.blogspot.com/2009/12/only-for-belynda.html

Happy Day!

edited to say, I read the post. Yall crack me up! I dont wear them in sandals, b/c like Hank Azara in the Birdcage "THEy Make Me Fall Down!"

I have pale white, chunky, pore-y legs. Trust me, you'd think I'd look better in hose. :D

LMAO!1 I so feel ya, see previous post link. ;) My legs are long and birch tree like limbs and i have no ankles, so its leg and rowing ore feet!

Archived