If you fall overboard whats the best thing to do?

rade2rising

I have been on a ship where some one went over the side, P&O Oceana couple of years back, coming home to Southampton only about an hour from docking. We had a general announcement "could xxxx contact the desk" then it was in the cabins, then a major search. Then it was apparent that some one had gone over, a man was in his bathroom, came out to find his wife had gone (balcony cabin). They fished her out within an hour or so, she was dead, injuries consistent with falling 80 feet into water it said in the paper. The question was did she fall....or......
On our last cruise they announced something simliar about ten times: "XXXX, contact the purser's desk right away." It was something like 4:00 am - 6:00 am, and they just kept on saying it -- it woke up the whole ship. We knew they wouldn't do that if it wasn't something serious. We heard at breakfast the next morning that the girl in question had been . . . um, found sleeping in the wrong cabin.

I bet my story's more common than yours!

Walk?
Alas, only one person in history's ever been qualified.

well i have never looked at a cruise ship up close and personal but it seems its quite easy to toss someone overboard i think i will just stay inside the ship and never go outside. that would be the best prevention

:o

Seriously, there is NO chance of just falling overboard....95% of the people you hear about jump overboard, they just aren't walking around the deck, and suddenly slip on a banana peel that someone just happened to drop as they came from the buffet...

When you're walking by a doughboy pool (also 4' side walls), do you normally 'fall' IN? :rolleyes:

How many times have you heard about people falling over the rails at the local multi-level shopping mall? :eek:

:D Come on folks . . . how many other examples can we come up with? Help me here . . . .

When you're walking by a doughboy pool (also 4' side walls), do you normally 'fall' IN? :rolleyes:

How many times have you heard about people falling over the rails at the local multi-level shopping mall? :eek:

:D Come on folks . . . how many other examples can we come up with? Help me here . . . .

We always sit in the balcony at church. I've never fallen down onto the first floor. Likewise, we have an old-style movie theater in our town. I've never, ever started watching a movie in the balcony and found myself suddenly on the first floor.

I can walk up stairs without falling over the railing. I can manage escalators too.

I can hike mountain trails without falling.

None of your examples involve locations that constantly move in 3 dimensions (assuming we are going to ignore orbital dynamics). As I'm sure you know, when at sea ships are in constant motion moving sometimes violently, often unexpectedly. The OP's question is not an entirely unreasonable one, especially if they have never been on a modern cruise ship.

well especially if its at night and no one see you tumbling over then what?

this is really scary

You should go home right now. Lock the doors and turn off the lights. Hide under the bed. DO NOT answer the telephone.

We will telephone you when it's safe to come out.

None of your examples involve locations that constantly move in 3 dimensions (assuming we are going to ignore orbital dynamics). As I'm sure you know, when at sea ships are in constant motion moving sometimes violently, often unexpectedly. The OP's question is not an entirely unreasonable one, especially if they have never been on a modern cruise ship.

I've never been on a ship that moved violently or unexpectedly. It's not unreasonable to ask the question, but the question is unreasonable unless the OP plans to get falling down drunk and crawl from bar to room.

I had some of those same fears before I ever cruised and laughed when I got on board and saw what the ships are really like. I think that most of the answers on here are of the opinion, "when you get on the ship you will see there's nothing to worry about".

I have a healthy fear of heights, so I stay away from the rails that drop 8 stories to the water. There are too many places to stand at the rail with another level just below you.

I've never been on a ship that moved violently or unexpectedly. It's not unreasonable to ask the question, but the question is unreasonable unless the OP plans to get falling down drunk and crawl from bar to room.. . .

Really? You've never put your hand on a wall or railing to steady yourself walking down a corridor? You've never smiled at people walking in front of you weaving back and forth as if they were very drunk? You've never been on a cruise where the crew put netting over the pool during the day to stop it from sloshing all over the deck? How lucky you are.

No, the question would be unreasonable if the OP had been on a modern cruise sihp or had internalized the knowledge that they are taller than a ten story building, longer than several football fields, wide enough to house a four lane divided road with sidewalks, have the latest in stabilizer technology installed and generally have higher railings than those found ashore.

Really? You've never put your hand on a wall or railing to steady yourself walking down a corridor? You've never smiled at people walking in front of you weaving back and forth as if they were very drunk? You've never been on a cruise where the crew put netting over the pool during the day to stop it from sloshing all over the deck? How lucky you are.

You think that is violent? To toddle down the hall when the ship is moving? You better stay at home scaredy cat. Nothing VIOLENT OR UNEXPECTED about that.

Water sloshing in the pool? Big A** whoop. Been there, done that.

Now when my plate goes flying off the table across the room, that's unexpected, LOL.

You think that is violent? To toddle down the hall when the ship is moving? You better stay at home scaredy cat. Nothing VIOLENT OR UNEXPECTED about that.

Water sloshing in the pool? Big A** whoop. Been there, done that.

Now when my plate goes flying off the table across the room, that's unexpected, LOL.

I don't consider any of the motions I mentioned violent. But they are unexpected. If they were expected, i.e. anticipated, one wouldn't "toddle down the hall".

Violent is ship motion in 17' seas, something I've experienced in the Caribbean. It's not a subjective thing and it doesn't matter whether or not it bothers me. The simple fact is that in milliseconds the ship can move several inches horizontally and / or vertically.

Violent is the Crown Princesses sharp turn to starboard several years ago. Personally I think it's a miracle that someone wasn't leaning on their starboard balcony rail or leaning over it to take a picture when the violent unexpected turn was executed.

I don't consider any of the motions I mentioned violent.
but you said they were in your post #55.
But they are unexpected. If they were expected, i.e. anticipated, one wouldn't "toddle down the hall".
This is silly. Everyone toddles around until they get their sea legs. Everyone staggers a little even when they HAVE their sea legs

Violent is ship motion in 17' seas, something I've experienced in the Caribbean. It's not a subjective thing and it doesn't matter whether or not it bothers me. The simple fact is that in milliseconds the ship can move several inches horizontally and / or vertically.

Violent is the Crown Princesses sharp turn to starboard several years ago. Personally I think it's a miracle that someone wasn't leaning on their starboard balcony rail or leaning over it to take a picture when the violent unexpected turn was executed.

When I am on the ship I expect movement. You insist on citing scenarios in order to make it sound worse than it is, when the thread is about accidentally falling overboard. Why don't you start a thread about your survival experiences? I've cruised skirting around a hurricane (1999), and it still wasn't enough to scare me off because the Captain and crew were experienced, knowledgeable and helped up to expect movement in the worst of the storm.

First time cruisers will be alarmed by your exaggerations and will once again fear that they will fall off the ship at any time unless they take unusual precautions.

So to sum up...after we have thoroughly disinfected the cabin with bleach & scrubbed our hands raw it's best we don't go out in case we catch Norovirus, & should we survive this we are likely to be swept away by the high seas.....surprisingly popular this cruising lark....considering....still, if we don't go out will we get away with the tips??

So to sum up...after we have thoroughly disinfected the cabin with bleach & scrubbed our hands raw it's best we don't go out in case we catch Norovirus, & should we survive this we are likely to be swept away by the high seas.....surprisingly popular this cruising lark....considering....still, if we don't go out will we get away with the tips??

You forgot that it is important to wear your lifevest at all times, even on elegant/formal night.

But, yeah. That' pretty much sums it up.

well especially if its at night and no one see you tumbling over then what?

this is really scary

You know this was my biggest fear before I went on my first cruise 2 years ago...NO kidding....the whole image of it was frightening to me..so at first I would not go near a railing night or day...then it was just at night, then suddenly I didn't think about it anymore...There is always someone around unless you are deliberately seeking to be alone..but I do understand your fear..and if your on the ship and find your nervous stay inside during the evening...:eek:

I did read a great novel "Skinny Dip" about a guy who threw his wife overboard from a cruise ship. She lived and managed to swim to an island and get even with him. The author was Carl Hiaasen.

I think it would be pretty difficult to toss someone over the rails, but I'm sure that there have been real cases of it.

I'm reading it now, funny book so far.

I did notice on a cruise or two that there is a gate (I think at the front of the ship slightly to one side) that you could easily open it and fall over. I have always stayed away from that gate just in case it wasn't closed tight.

I am glad this question was asked! I am a newbie to cruise ships, we have a 5 year old daughter and have thought of taking her but I am way to petrified she will fall over board. I feel much better about it now though!! She is only 3 feet tall so there is no way she could fall over! YAY!

Now that I know that the romantic cruise might go out the window and a disney one might have to take its place..... :rolleyes:

Archived