Sleep with a fan at home - on cruise?

chitownGib

This might be an odd question. I am a white noise addict. I sleep with a fan on at home. I'm wondering if there is any white noise in the cabin - maybe a fan in the bathroom? Or if the A/C fan actually makes any noise? It helps with blocking exterior noise, and the soothing sound puts me to sleep quickly. Can you hear the water if I somehow leave the door open to our balcony? That might work!

I have a small, lightweight fan I bring (hot flashes, and all that!) because I NEED some air movement in the middle of the night!

If you bring one, bring an extension cord....generally, the only plug will be across from the bed.

I don't think the cruise lines want people to leave their balcony doors open.

I know people who never close their balcony door when they are in the room. The sound of the water as the ship makes way is, IMO, the best white noise there is. Along with the gentle rocking of the ship you can really slee.........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :)

On most ships I've seen, the cabin A/C turns off the cooling when the cabin door is open. So you can leave the door open to get the noise and breeze, but you won't have any cooling.

I haven't seen any fans in any rooms, so I would say bring your own. If your tight on luggage space/weight from flying, you could probably just by a cheapo $10 fan from wal-mart, etc. before boarding and then "donate" it to the crew or next cabin occupants when your trip is over.

At home we have a fan, humidifier and sound machine on every night. I went to Brookstone and purchased a travel size sound machine/clock and take it on cruises and for use in hotels. We like to listen to the sounds of waves hitting the beach so I turn that on and we fall asleep without any problems. It would not be a good idea to leave the balcony door open.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread,but Im lost! I too sleep with a box fan ,a celing fan,and a sound machine. The I need the white noise. But I also need AIR! Its all in my head,I know,but still. We arent in a balcony room. Ive been looking on WM.com and even walgreens this morning. I will be flying in,so I need one that is COMAPCT! Even if I have to put it together when I get to the cabin,I will. Can someone maybe post a link to ones they use? I'll need it for camping too. Will the batteries last for 5 nights if I just use it at night,or should I bring some rechargeable ones?

THANKS!!! The first camping trip is in mid April,and Id like to get it before then,so it can go "in the tub".with that stuff.

~Sarah

I have a non-cruising related question for this thread! For those of you who use white noise machines at home...do they really work? Have you used them to drown out sounds...such as snoring, dogs, etc? I am thinking about purchasing one but don't want to waste $50 if they don't really work....

We always travel with a small white noise machine. I also sometimes bring one of those clip on fans. Ensures a good night sleep for me! I can't sleep without the noise no matter where I am.

I have a non-cruising related question for this thread! For those of you who use white noise machines at home...do they really work? Have you used them to drown out sounds...such as snoring, dogs, etc? I am thinking about purchasing one but don't want to waste $50 if they don't really work....
YES! They really work. As an FYI...white noise machines are the gift I give to every new mom when I go to a baby shower. A white noise machine will almost assure you that the baby will sleep better from day one. No lie! And if the baby has colic, as my 19 month old did for 4 months when he was little, the only thing that consoled him was TWO white noise machines at full volume, a radio on static at full volume AND the vacuum turned on. Uniform noise can hep with all kinds of things!

I must admit I have never heard anything like this...am I the only one who thinks this is really odd?

John...you are obviously a sound sleeper so it probably does sound sound strange to you. I don't use a white noise machine (I didn't know they existed) but I'm such a light sleeper that any noise can wake me and then I have trouble going back to sleep. I tend to keep the TV on very low....drives my husband crazy! But what are wives for?:D

I have a small round noise machine I bought from Amazon. We use a fan at home but I always travel with my noise machine. Its not odd at all! I grew up out in the country and noise at night really bothers me. When you travel, you hear doors banging, people shouting, things going on below and above you..the noise machine really helps if you are light sleeper as I am.

I am considering bringing mine with us to Europe if it will fit in my suitcase.

It's not a "condition" unless you call light sleeping a condition! For me, once I became a mom, every single little noise wakes me up. White noise is used by many people to block out the little occasional noises that most people sleep through. Some people fall asleep to the radio, the tv - similar to that. I'm surprised that people are so surprised by this - especially after some things I read on CC!

It's not a "condition" unless you call light sleeping a condition! For me, once I became a mom, every single little noise wakes me up. White noise is used by many people to block out the little occasional noises that most people sleep through. Some people fall asleep to the radio, the tv - similar to that. I'm surprised that people are so surprised by this - especially after some things I read on CC!

Amen! esp about light sleeping once becoming a Mom. I have not slept good in ten years,lol.

Pacruiser~ the link is for the one i have.It flies well. its been to cali and philly,and places in between. and no it does not drown out snoring! lol

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics-Sound-Spa-Machine-with-Timer/2686012

Archived