Worth buying in W. Caribbean?

TipsyT

I am kind of the same mind, not to bring back too much stuff. But I have to admit to collecting hot sauces! The Caribbean of course is a great place to find them! I know some say that hot sauce is hot sauce, but I just like to collect them, as much for the designs on the bottles! I used to buy vanilla in Mexico, but I heard that it is really no more real vanilla than the extract we buy at home. I also like coffee, but was disappointed with the coffee I brought back from Jamaica. So I guess for me it is "hot sauce"!:D

The vanilla is the same as you could buy here but at a lot lower cost if you use a lot of it and look around for a good deal. (I do!) I could pick up ten times the amount in Cozumel that I could at home for the same price. We also enjoyed the rum cake...LOL Yes, we can get it here but it's VERY expensive.

Enjoy yourself and buy what you like. You're not there to stock up on supplies, but it you see something you'd like or would use just get it.

Look for the Honduras coffee in the market place at Mahogany Bay. Buy the whole beans which are roasted there. comes in a vaccum packed sealed bag. You can probably buy it cheaper in French Harbor or Coxen Hole at the local groceries. But it's only $12 a pound for whole beans.

Marie Sharp's hot sauce in Belize, look for it in places outside the Tourist Village for better pricing. There's a hardware store down Regents Street about a 10 minute sightseeing type of a walk from the TV and about 3 blocks past the swing bridge. Also sold on Cay Caulker and up in San Pedro. I also saw it on tables in San Ignacio when we had lunch on the Xunantunich tour.

Buy vanilla in Cozumel at the Mega supermarket not the pier tourist traps.

Also in Cozumel, go to the COSI liquor store to buy your top self tequilas.

And try the Mexican beers you can't get in the US like...Vicotria, Leon, Montenjo, and Indio. You may have to give up the liquor and beer to the ship's liquor locker until your last night at sea, so don't buy any beer refrigerated.

I am kind of the same mind, not to bring back too much stuff. But I have to admit to collecting hot sauces! The Caribbean of course is a great place to find them! I know some say that hot sauce is hot sauce, but I just like to collect them, as much for the designs on the bottles! I used to buy vanilla in Mexico, but I heard that it is really no more real vanilla than the extract we buy at home. I also like coffee, but was disappointed with the coffee I brought back from Jamaica. So I guess for me it is "hot sauce"!:D

I have not had a problem buying pure Vanilla in Mexico. I usually buy it in a Super Market as well as my Kahula. Both are much less expensive that in the tourist shops.

Coconut Tea by Trinite Caribbean Tea...More expensive online can only get it in the Caribbean..Worth making room in your suitcase for this.:p Also if you are a coke drinker try the bottled Coca Cola in Mexico it's made with real sugar not with high fructose.. Has that old fashioned taste of how coke used to be..Enjoy !!!!

Archived