1st Timer- Need advice for flights

Carib210

Hi everyone,

This will be our 1st time to Europe and finding the planning a bit scary. We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam boarding in Venice on Oct 6 and overnight on board. The ship then leaves Oct 7 at 1pm. The cruise ends on Oct 18 in Barcelona (overnight on board 10/17) We purchased the ship transfers, but their flight package is approx. $400 & fees more p/p than if we booked ourselves.

Do these flights sound ok?

Depart: Tues 10/5

Newark to Heathrow Depart 6:20 pm Arrive 6:25am

Heathrow to Marco Polo Venice Depart 9:50am Arrive 1 pm

Return: Mon 10/18

Barcelona to Heathrow Depart 1:25 pm Arrive 2:40pm

Heathrow to Newark Depart 5:30 Arrive 8:35 pm

Although I've booked many flights before, the time difference, unknown territory, etc, I'm real nervous getting the correct flight. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

carib210

Hi everyone,

This will be our 1st time to Europe and finding the planning a bit scary. We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam boarding in Venice on Oct 6 and overnight on board. The ship then leaves Oct 7 at 1pm. The cruise ends on Oct 18 in Barcelona (overnight on board 10/17) We purchased the ship transfers, but their flight package is approx. $400 & fees more p/p than if we booked ourselves.

Although I've booked many flights before, the time difference, unknown territory, etc, I'm real nervous getting the correct flight. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

carib210

IMHO you should consider going in a day earlier and leaving a day later to get some extra time in Venice and Barcelona. Yes you get overnight in venice but I think you lose a day right, you arrive 10/6, you likley won't get to ship before 3pm, and after checkin boarding etc. etc it'll be close to dusk before you can get back out to Venice. With 1pm depature you'll only have the morning to explore Venice, just enough time, but why not make more time.

I've never been a big fan of changing planes overseas. Did you consider flights that are direct from US. Delta and UsAir I believe fly direct out of Philly, Atlanta and NY? Your connects look fine with lots of time between them, but still worth a look if the price is similar.

I would avoid the ship transfer sold by the cruiese line. In Barcelona the dock has very accessible and reliabile taxi service, about 30-35 euros for a taxi to airport or town. In Venice you can splurge and take a water taxi for about 100 euros for a 45' water ride right into Venice or the dock. Or for much cheaper combo bus / water taxi. Places like expedia and other internet offer venice water taxis and we had no trouble booking online with them. Also very easy to secure once you land right out of customs.

Good luck

I like the fact that you've left yourself about 3hrs. between flights. That should take care of any normal flight delays + going through passport control etc.

Do you live in NJ?

IF you live within easy reach of JFK then Delta has non stops into both Venice and out of Barcelona.

I am in California, so things may be a different on the East Coast, but I try to avoid Heathrow and/or Paris De Gaulle at all cost! I much prefer Lufthansa to either Munich or Frankfrurt as a gateway and then to Venice and out of Spain. (the Germans are so anal, they get you in, through customs and out faster then anybody). I know there are tons of connecting flights to and from both places if you get hung up and miss a flight and Lufthansa does a bang up job, I think They and Swiss Air have the best economy service in Europe.

Check it out, it may be about the same price and the stress level is WAY less.

Party on, we are off to Italy for an Oceania Cruise in June ourselves.

Delta does have non-stop flights from JFK to Venice and from Barcelona back to JFK, but the price may be a bit hard to swallow.

Right now the price for this itinerary on Delta is $1,024.

Delta:

JFK to VCE, Tue-Wed, Oct 5-6, 7:30 PM - 10:05 AM

BCN to JFK, Mon Oct 18, 11:20 AM - 2:20 PM

We have done med cruises four times and three of them we flew Delta out of NY direct to whatever city we were sailing from. Even if you have to pay a little more it is so worth it to have a non stop flight. If at all possible spend at least one night in Venice and Barcelona. On our first Med cruise we spent one night extra in Venice on the second we spent two extra. Venice is such an incredable city.

We did this same itenerary on the Oosterdam last May. If you would like to read my trip report just look on my signiture for the Oosterdam cruise link. The other links are the other Med cruises we have done.

Hi everyone,

They sound pretty good to me. LHR/Heathrow airport is big, but if it's all BA, you'll be in their new Terminal 5 and not have to change terminals. AMS/Amsterdam is also an excellent place to change planes in Europe.

Thanks for all the good advice. When I did a flight search on Kayak.com it didn't come up with some of the airlines. Based upon the advice here I went direct to some of the airlines websites and found some more alternatives. Some do go thru Frankfort or Munich which sounded better than Heathrow as that always seems to be in the news for one thing or another. I'll keep searching, but you are right, we plan on extending our pre-cruise stay in Venice. Thanks for all the help.

Carib210

I`m also planning a cruise that will leave from Venice in the fall of 2010. This will be my seventh time in Europe and my second European cruise. IMHO, unless you are very limited with time, why not spend a few days in London before your cruise and one night before you return. This way you could get a direct return flight from US to London and fly within Europe via a local airline. This might be a cheaper alternative for you. Also, because this is your first time in Europe (and you never know how life goes so it may be your last time as well!?) it would give you the opportunity to visit London.

I fly from Canada to Europe, from either Toronto or Montreal and I`ve flown to many different cities within Europe and I found that flying from North American direct to either London or Paris are the ``shorter`` and ``easier`` flights, again IMHO;).

Europe is wonderful...enjoy!!!

Direct flights are the easiest but you can limit your options (and expand your budget) that way. I often use a gateway city and then get a cheap connection flight within Europe. As others have said, Heathrow is a very big airport and if you have to change terminals it can be a bit much after flying all night.

I'm glad you are spending time in Venice pre-cruise - it's a great city and deserves a day or two to explore.

I've never been a big fan of changing planes overseas.

What is the risk or problems with changing planes overseas?

I am looking at the flights to Venice from where I live (Canada) some of my less expensive airline options excluding connection via the US is change planes in Munich, Amsterdam or Paris.

Wondering if I should reconsider if there are issues with connecting in Europe. Should I be concerned about the size of the plane.

There aren't a lot of direct flights into Venice from North America, so more often than not you will be making a connection somewhere in Europe.

If I have to make a change, I try to do it in a Schengen country, so I only have to deal with passport control lines once. The UK and Ireland are not part of the Schengen agreement, so I would only change there if it's an incredibly good deal. You can see a map and list of the Schengen countries here: http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries

The risk is that with a connection, you've doubled the possibility of a missed flight or lost luggage. It's a problem because it adds time and inconvenience.

On the other hand, when the layover between flights is long enough, I've taken advantage of the spa showers in the airline lounges. It's great to arrive in Europe feeling refreshed and ready to go, and not wearing the same clothes I slept in on the flight. I found this particularly helpful on business trips when I had to go directly from the airport into a meeting.

I am doing same itinerary of Venice to Barcelona. From Boston (not sure if it's the same out of Newark), my best flight prices and airline was Aer Lingus. I took a stopover in Dublin, a city and country that I probably never would have seen. Now, I am really excited about it. I get a full day and overnight there. On the way back, it's just a couple hour stop when my flight goes from Barcelona to Dublin. I guess the best connections depend on the airline and the city that you are flying out of.

Because we usually fly Delta to Europe, we usually connect through Amsterdam and have found it a very easy connection point. Just be sure to allow enough time to do it; I would say two hours minimum and three to be comfortable; there is sometimes a long walk between terminals. If you have trouble walking, though, they have little electric vehicles that will transport you.

Don't be too worried; at least in Amsterdam everyone speaks English and will be happy to help you.

Happy travels and congratulations on your first trip. Always an eye opener.

• 1 month later...

I also vote for adding pre and post cruise days. Keep in mind that you might be worn out after the flight so the first day might be spent sleeping. I wouldn't plan to do much that day.

We also have a Mediterranean cruise coming up in May. We were able to book direct flights from Charlotte, NC to Rome and then returning from London (Gatwick although bad experience there in 2007) direct back to Charlotte. We are flying in 2 days ahead of our cruise and staying overnight post cruise as well. We looked at other airlines and flying out of different cities etc for price consideration but found it was just so much more convenient to fly out of Charlotte (we just moved here and the airport is only 30 minutes away - love it). A direct flight is so much better when you are flying in and out of Europe. And we will arrive much more quickly and more rested than having to change planes in the middle of the night.:eek: Our flights were considerably more expensive than in 2007 but still very happy with not having any connections.

diane

Archived