EZ-CHECK - the good, the bad and the ugly

KyRoamer

We flew Alaska Airlines last summer and used the EZ Check. We were not charged any additional amount for the bags. I even checked with an Alaska Airlines rep at SEATAC and was told that if we used the EZ Check program, there would be no additional charge for the bags. Maybe this was a fluke, but it saved us quite a bit of money by using the program and not handling the luggage ourselves.

• 1 year later...
Instead of faxing it, bring it to the Purser's desk and discuss this with them. Make sure they understand you should not be charged extra. Whether that will work or not, I do not know.

We had a situation two cruises ago when we used EZCheck when the airline we were using had increased baggage fees after we bought tickets - so we were grandfathered in at the lower price. No problem when we left for the cruise, but when I saw the airline charge for EZCheck I went to the Pursers Desk and told them the situation. They said no problem, we'll contact the airline and charge what is supposed to be charged.

Well...you know how that turned out. But a few emails back and forth and the money was refunded. it's still a great program!

I had a problem using EZ check on our Hawaii cruise on the Golden Princess. (the baggage fees..not the service itself)

We paid our shipboard accounts, got our final bill and thought everything was fine.

A few weeks later when I got my Visa bill, there was a 100.00 charge from Princess.

My sister and I checked two bags each, but we were flying first class, so there would not have been a fee.

I called Continental, and they said they did not charge us 25.00 per bag.

I called Princess, and after a couple of transfers...I got a supervisor who said Princess had charged us 25.00 per bag, ASSUMING the airline would charge them.

The supervisor told me I would need to send her the receipt from Continental for our first class tickets, and once she got that and could verify it, they would credit my account. She also advised me it might take one billing cycle before I saw it. I told her "no, it needed to be credited as soon as she got the receipt from me. I was not going to pay an extra 100.00 to my visa. And since I had just gotten my monthy bill and found it...she would have plenty of time to do the credit before the next billing cycle"

She did, and I saw the credit on my next bill.

I told her I assumed that since Princess printed our boarding passes, they would see the first class airfare. But, I really shouldn't have assumed that, as they deal with thousands of tickets and different airlines. Next time I will do my part to get that information to them.

I was treated professionally. The problem was fixed. I was happy.

I love the EZ check and will continue to use it.

... but I wonder if anyone could answer 3 questions...

1) How do I sign up for EZ check? (I'd never read about it anywhere prior to this thread.)

2) We are flying from Acapulco to Newark on Continental (and the following day Newark - Toronto - Halifax on Air canada) so would I be able to use EZ check for the entire route (Aca - Halifax) or only from Aca - Newark?

I don't believe the EZ check program is available in connection with international flights.

We used E-Z check out of FLL on March 30th (Island Princess). We flew Southwest and they were included on the form that we had to fill out. We put our last bag out the night before around 10pm. Boarded our flight to Denver and saw several of our bags being loaded. LOVED IT! So at least out of FLL, it is offered from the ship.

We used EZ Check in FLL last month after our Caribbean cruise. If I remember correctly there was a spot on the sign-up form for EZ Check where I wrote that each of our first bags (we only had 2 total) would be free because I have a Delta Skymiles crdit card and I put the last digits of the card on the form. Everything went as planned, we were not charged for the bags and they were waiting as expected when we arrived at our home airport.

We use EZ Check every time it is available. It's worth the money to us. I love just waltzing past the rows and rows of baggage at the dock knowing I don't have to bother trying to find mine.

I hope my flight home from our Panama Canal cruise next winter is pushed back by at least 5 minutes. Right now it leaves at 12:25PM, 5 minutes before Princess' allowable 12:30PM earliest flight time. I'd hate to have to handle my luggage.

Or maybe they will realize it is too much work and discontinue the service.

I really think if you agree to participate in the program, you shouldn't complain about the fees (elite or not).

EZ check was wonderful! Left our bags out after dinner on the Emerald Princess and picked them up in Portland. Whew! walked thru the sea of luggage glad that we did not have to gather the bags, got to the airport and picked up our bags in Portland. HEAVEN!!!!

Does Princess offer EZ Check for Alaska cruises out of Seattle?

We get off the cruise in the morning, and my flight isn't until almost midnight (red eye) back to the east coast, and it'd be great if I didn't have to deal with our luggage while touring downtown Seattle!

Awesome!!! I used EZ Check for the first time a few weeks ago for disembarking the Emerald Princess and will definitely use it again in ports where it is available. It was so worth not having to search for my bags in the luggage area of the terminal, and then schlepping them to the bus or taxi, and then into the airport to check them.

I had brought along a small duffle bag for my sleep clothes, worn clothes from the last day onboard, and a few essentials, and carried that on the plane with me.

Is EZ-Check generally for flights that leave in the morning or can later flights also qualify?

We are flying out of FLL on Continental, and though I realize the participation varies from cruise to cruise, we are hoping we are eligable for the service on an afternoon flight.

Is EZ-Check generally for flights that leave in the morning or can later flights also qualify?

We are flying out of FLL on Continental, and though I realize the participation varies from cruise to cruise, we are hoping we are eligable for the service on an afternoon flight.

Actually, it is better for Afternoon flights than for morning flights.

The last time we docked in Port Everglades, flights from FLL could not be before 11:30 AM and flights from MIA could not be before 2 PM.

We love EZ Check and were very disappointed when someone told us that it may not be available for passengers disembarking in Red Hook. Is that correct?

I seem to recall reading that EZ Check is now available in Red Hook. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Can you still do this if you don't have assigned seats on your flight yet? We're flying Delta and although we have guaranteed tix, we aren't able to prearrange seats on the flight. I think this sounds like a great way to go, but afraid this little detail might mean we're standing in those horrible FLL lines I'm hearing about.

Being relatively new to Princess sailing forgive me for a few newbie questions.

Is this EZ Check available for every ship?/debarkation port

Is this something you have to register for prior to embarking or can you do it after you board the ship?

Our next two Princess cruises are ending in LAX and FLL.

Just off the Star Princess and never saw anything about this during the cruise so I'm guessing this must be done before you sail?

Thanks for informing me........I appreciate it.

We have used this on HAL and RC and it is worth every penny to me.

Jim

Being relatively new to Princess sailing forgive me for a few newbie questions.

Is this EZ Check available for every ship?/debarkation port

It depends on the port and not all airlines participate.

Is this something you have to register for prior to embarking or can you do it after you board the ship?

Normally if it's available, you'll receive info and can sign up a couple of days before the end of your cruise.

Our next two Princess cruises are ending in LAX and FLL.

I have used EZ Check at both of these ports. Again it depends on which airline you're flying.

Just off the Star Princess and never saw anything about this during the cruise so I'm guessing this must be done before you sail?

See previous reply

Thanks for informing me........I appreciate it.

Your welcome!!

We have used this on HAL and RC and it is worth every penny to me.

Jim

Enjoy your cruise...

Can you still do this if you don't have assigned seats on your flight yet? We're flying Delta and although we have guaranteed tix, we aren't able to prearrange seats on the flight. I think this sounds like a great way to go, but afraid this little detail might mean we're standing in those horrible FLL lines I'm hearing about.

This should not stop you from using EZCheck for your luggage. It may be a problem in issuing you your boarding passes while onboard the ship.

Rich and Pam

Thanks for the info...........don't know why we didn't hear anything about this on the Star before going back into FLL...........unless of course I missed it.

Will certainly check on our next cruise ending at LAX............

Thanks again

Archived