EZ-CHECK - the good, the bad and the ugly

KyRoamer

Thank you for sharing your story. I am an elite with Delta, but my husband is not, so this is great information for us to have.

I completely agree with you that you shoudl NOT have been charged for your wife's bags! Can you print off the language from Delta's website about companions' baggage fees being waived and fax it to Princess? Seems like it would be worth it for $50.

Thanks again, OP!

Even if you are not using EZ Check you still have to have your bags out the night before.

I am now taking a little can of hair spray, small deoderant, and a small toothpaste, etc, etc.

EX Check is a great convenience and I would pay more than $20 for it. (don't tell Princess,LOL).

The cruise lines cannot be expected to know our status with the airlines IMHO.

WCC

Thanks, West coast cruiser - I was wondering when someone on the post would say that all bags have to be out the night before, whether using EZ check or not. :)

We take sample size shaving creme and bic razor for DH and I bring makeup from home that is almost done and then throw everything out before leaving cabin. The shampoo in your cabin can be fine for one shampoo that morning. Sample size deodorant also. Total cost for convenience is less than $4:D

Princess is doing a good thing here. We don't have to drag our bags around and wouldn't those who have to pay fees pay them anyway when checking in at the airline? Lets not have something taken away because of the minutiae.

JMHO

Can you print off the language from Delta's website about companions' baggage fees being waived and fax it to Princess? Seems like it would be worth it for $50.

Instead of faxing it, bring it to the Purser's desk and discuss this with them. Make sure they understand you should not be charged extra. Whether that will work or not, I do not know.

EZ-CHECK is where you pay $20 and Princess will take up to two bags from you and check it through with certain airlines to your final destination. In addition to the $20, you will be charged all airline baggage fees.

The good -- It works!!! And the bonus is that the ship prints your boarding passes for you.

Luggage out the night before and not seen again until you reach your home airport. No luggage to get off the ship, drag through customs (if debarking at a US Port), Drag to the airport, check at the airport, etc.

Worked like a charm for us from FLL to SDF via ATL. Bad weather in ATL was causing some flights to cancel and we were placed on an earlier flight, but not our bags. The later flight where a bit late did get to Atlanta with our bags and they were on our SDF flight with us.

That's the good. The bad was having to surrender the bags before dinner (although they said if out by 8 pm or so, we'd likely have no problem). We had large toiletry items and had to check our tooth paste, etc. Saved a squeeze in a cup lid so that was no big problem.

Also bad is that we were given no luggage claim checks. We used a special Princess tag with no tear off number for us that only showed first flight. We were told that the bags would be airline tagged to the final destination and they were.

When we got to the airport, we asked at Delta's Sky Club about our bags. They said that the tag numbers were now a part of our record and if needed could be looked up. I copied down the numbers just in case but did not need them.

So really not much bad.

Now for the UGLY. As a Delta elite there was to be no baggage charge for me or anyone traveling to the same reservation. I was not charged as the elite status showed on my boarding pass. My wife was charged $50 for two bags.

We caught this and went to the desk to have it reversed. They refused saying it was a Delta issue. We were told to ask delta for the refund.

Delta said they know better and did not charge the $50. As a result they never got the money from the ship. They said Princess does this extra charge often.

We wrote Princess and they demanded we get evidence from Delta that the charge was improper. I told them no way was I wasting time when it was a standard industry practice. Suggested that they could check it out or make a good will refund or I would contest the bill with American ExpressThey said they made the good will refund and I would see the credit in two to three billing cycles.

I wonder if this is poor training at Princess or deliberate hoping that people will let them keep the money as the airline will never bill them. Based on Delta's saying it was frequent I really wonder if it is deliberate. A few $50 rip-offs can amount to a lot of money.

Oh well, the LAX-FLL cruise via the Panama Canal (Jan 6) was fabulous. We have no complaints at all. Had a couple of periods of high wind, but watching the white caps in the pool was interesting. Seems such a shame that Princess pulled this baggage charge stunt at the end. Hope they will train there people better.

Thank you for sharing your story and the information. You had me using EZ-Check right up to the point you said luggage had to be out around 8:PM. Too early for us. We have a hard time getting our luggage out by midnight.

Let me ask a question. We have used EZ Check in the past and love it! How early does the ship get you to the airport if using LAX? We have a 12:40 flight out of LAX (coming in to San Pedro) on Alaska Airlines. We have reserved a private shuttle from the pier and planned to carry our luggage off to get to LAX as early as possible. I can cancel the shuttle w/o a penalty. All things being equal, We would rather use the EZ Check. Any advice or suggestions from those of you that have used this program with LAX?

Thanks……Judith

Let me ask a question. We have used EZ Check in the past and love it! How early does the ship get you to the airport if using LAX? We have a 12:40 flight out of LAX (coming in to San Pedro) on Alaska Airlines. We have reserved a private shuttle from the pier and planned to carry our luggage off to get to LAX as early as possible. I can cancel the shuttle w/o a penalty. All things being equal, We would rather use the EZ Check. Any advice or suggestions from those of you that have used this program with LAX?

Thanks……Judith

If you are using an airline that Princess uses for EZ check then your flight time would be within the guidelines.

I believe the flight has to be after 11:30.

You would have to have sample sizes of everything you use & carry them on in the quart size ziploc bag that the sirline allows. No other way around it. 3 oz sizes are more than enough for me, but I guess that is a personal thing.

Jan in Mi

Thanks Jan.

Hugh and Chrisine icon6.gif

Tell her she's beautiful without make-up. We had one almost empty deodorant that we used when we showered and left behind. I did the same with a small shaving cream. We used ship soap and shampoo. We left out a little tooth paste. Other than a small lip stick, my wife did not use make-up for the trip home.

Now if make up is an issue, make up a going home bag of three oz bottles for essentials and carry then with you.

I tell her that all the timeicon10.gif. We were talking about the makeup etc. this morning DW is going to try and work it out. I did what you did on our trip to Alaska

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

Does anyone have experience using this with Airtran? Fll to Columbus ohio

We use to Fly Airtran out of Flint MI. a lot then they stopped direct flights to Vegas. We used them when we went to Seattle last summer for the Princess Alaskan Cruise. I did not like the fact we had to stop over all the time in Atlanta coming and going.

If you do not mind stop overs then AirTran is good and i use to upgrade to business class when we checked in.

Good luck, have a nice trip.

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

Do you not have to have your bags with you when you go thru Customs/Immigration on arrival in FLL ? I understand how Southwest and I believe JetBlue (maybe AirTran) have the service avbl at curbside, but how do the others check your bags thru? Seems odd.

Thank you for sharing your story and the information. You had me using EZ-Check right up to the point you said luggage had to be out around 8:PM. Too early for us. We have a hard time getting our luggage out by midnight.

Others have suggested that is just what Princess wants and if out by midnight would be fine. Check onboard and see what they say.

Do you not have to have your bags with you when you go thru Customs/Immigration on arrival in FLL ? I understand how Southwest and I believe JetBlue (maybe AirTran) have the service avbl at curbside, but how do the others check your bags thru? Seems odd.

No idea how our bags got through customs but they did without us. We left with no bags other than a small carry on and declared purchases of less than the allowed amount. We had no alcohol or tobacco with us. Not sure how it would work if you were declaring excess amounts or alcohol or tobacco.

... but I wonder if anyone could answer 3 questions...

1) How do I sign up for EZ check? (I'd never read about it anywhere prior to this thread.)

2) We are flying from Acapulco to Newark on Continental (and the following day Newark - Toronto - Halifax on Air canada) so would I be able to use EZ check for the entire route (Aca - Halifax) or only from Aca - Newark?

1) How do I sign up for EZ check? (I'd never read about it anywhere prior to this thread.)

2) We are flying from Acapulco to Newark on Continental (and the following day Newark - Toronto - Halifax on Air canada) so would I be able to use EZ check for the entire route (Aca - Halifax) or only from Aca - Newark?

1. You will get a flyer once on board your ship that explains the program, the costs and lists the airlines that are offering it for your cruise. You then fill out the form and take it to the purser's desk along with a copy of your flight itinerary.

2. First off, I am not sure if Princess offers EZ Check for both of those airlines, but I do know the form I saw last week on the Ruby said that if you switch airlines, it won't work. I suspect you could use it for the part to Newark, though, assuming Continental is offering it for your ship.

As an aside, my roommate when I sailed on the Ruby last week did this and it went well. However, she did NOT put her luggage out until after 1230am and there were no problems...

I have a few questions about the EZ check. How do you find your bags at your home airport if they arrive hours before you do??? Do you get luggage tags that identify that the luggage is your???

What happens if your bags happen to be overweight??? Not sure if the cruise line weighs them or not. If it is the airport it is probably too late to charge you for over weight bags.

Thanks

Dan

I have a few questions about the EZ check. How do you find your bags at your home airport if they arrive hours before you do??? Do you get luggage tags that identify that the luggage is your???

What happens if your bags happen to be overweight??? Not sure if the cruise line weighs them or not. If it is the airport it is probably too late to charge you for over weight bags.

Thanks

Dan

They don't arrive hours before, they arrive on your flight.

They get regular airline bag tags.

Any additional fees you will be charged accordingly or the bag may get held up.

1) A form is sent to every cabin after a couple of days if EZCheck is offered on your cruise.

2) Good question. First is it even offered on your cruise. Since you will have to go through US Customs in Newark, I doubt it would be offered.

Also, you are changing airlines. EZCheck is only offered for when there is no change of airlines. If you are on a codeshare, I do not know what the rules are.

Another perspective on EZ Check: We arrived in FLL on the Crown Princess on January 9 and used EZ Check. The port was VERY busy that day--it was absolute chaos trying to get a cab to the airport and we were SO glad we didn't have to hassle with our suitcases in the freezing rain.

But--our bags didn't make it onto our flight, and when we showed the US Airways ticket agent the baggage receipts we'd received from Princess, she said they weren't US Airways baggage receipt numbers... But she filed a lost luggage report for us...

When we got home, there was a message on our answering machine from a US Airways agent at FLL, left at 2:09 pm, saying Princess had JUST delivered our bags to the airport, so they'd missed our 2 pm flight, but that she was rerouting them through Charlotte and they should arrive in DC later that night.

ONE of our bags arrived from the airline, via courier, on Sunday evening. The other bag appeared to be lost--neither US Airways or Princess appeared to have any record of it. On Thursday afternoon, we were in the process of filling out lengthy claims forms for both the airline and Princess when I noticed the FedEx truck stopping in front of our house. When my husband went out to pick up what he thought was an envelope from his office, he was THRILLED to find the missing suitcase sitting on our front porch! It had come directly from Princess's warehouse in FLL--meaning that it never made it to US Airways on the day we disembarked.

I emailed Princess Lost & Found (and US Airways) to let them know the bag had arrived--and told Princess we wanted our EZ Check fees returned. Got a response that they were forwarding our request to Customer Relations and about a week later got a phone call from a nice woman in CR apologizing for the delays and confusion,and letting us know that they will credit our credit cards with the fees (but that it may take up to three billing cycles for the refunds to appear).

I don't know how often this kind of thing happens, but I think in the future we will pack lighter (we had BIG bags this time because our cruise was the second week of a two-week family vacation), do "self disembark," and not let our luggage out of our sight! We WERE happy to get both of our bags back (eventually), but I don't want to go through this process again!

Archived