Miami cruise terminal facilities/wait area for early arrivals

erdoran

I had asked before about special waiting areas for suite passengers in Miami...but I need to extend my question. DH and I are sailing on the Epic Christmas Day 2010, sail time 4 pm. Our flight gets in to Miami at 8:45 am. No, we can't take a later flight unless we fly into Ft. Lauderdale and deal with going to the cruiseport from there--this is simpler.

I know that embarkation isn't until about noon, and perhaps we'd be allowed into the building/waiting around around 11 or so? Before that, is there any waiting area at all, or are we going to be sitting outside the terminal? And if outside is there anywhere to sit, or any cover? I've got to assume we aren't the only passsengers flying in super early! Yes, we could sit around the airport but would prefer not to pick up our luggage and then drag it back upstairs and deal with the airport crowds. We'd much prefer to just go to the terminal and wait there, provided there is somewhere to sit and some shelter in case of rain.

thanks in advance!

The terminal will be open but they will not allow you through the security check point until a certain time. I disembarked from the Dawn at 10am and walked right over to the Sky and was checked in and onboard by noon.

Our flight arrived in Miami at 9:10 am and we went directly to to the cruise port by taxi.

We were #2 in line for new passengers.

On our particular cruise there were a lot of B2B cruisers in another line that went 1st. That line began going through at around 11:00.

Our line went through at around 11:20 and we were on-board around 11:45. We didn't even need to go to a special check-in for Gold and Platinum Latitudes members as we were among the 1st arrivals.

The waiting areas that they may have for VIP's and suite guests do not open until after they begin boarding so that would not apply to your early arrival.

There really is no indoors waiting area at the terminal in Miami, and outdoors there is no seating unless you want to sit on your luggage. Once you get in to the terminal building, there is no place to sit until you get through security screening.

You might consider getting dropped off at a nearby hotel that has a nice restaurant and checking your bags with the hotel porters / front desk and relaxing before taking a taxi to the terminal.

In summer, it can be very hot outside the terminal building.

Take your sweet time at the airport. Get a snack, wander around. You can stretch things such that you get to the port by 10:30 or so and not have to stand around long.

You will be just fine. With an 8:45 arrival, you would be lucky to get there by 10am if your rushed.

With an 8:45 a.m. arrival on Christmas morning you can expect to be out of the airport and at the pier no later than 9:30 (and that is if you drag your feet), which is at least 2 hours too early. (Airports tend to be empty on Christmas morning.) You can always stay at the airport, or you could see about a car to get a tour of the city for a couple of hours, or you could go to a hotel, say the Intercontinental, and enjoy a nice breakfast, then grab another cab over to the pier. It will cost you about $10 more than going straight from the airport but it kills the time.

There is no seating at the terminal until you are allowed upstairs which won't be until at least after 11 am.

I know you don't want to drag your luggage back upstairs at the AP but that is seriously going to be your best bet.

Another option but which also has it's only logistical problems is taking a free shuttle to the Dolphin Mall if that is open by 9 am & hanging out there but you still have luggage to deal with.

Archived