3 Kids! UGH!

VentureForth

What is the best cruise line to look for deals on to get the best rate for a family of 5?

Problem with booking two rooms is that now I'm paying for a minimum of 4 adults, when 2 of them are kids.

I'm looking for the best overall price - ONE stateroom is preferred, or is a junior suite sometimes cheaper than booking two rooms?

We live in SE Georgia, so any cruise line that serves the East Coast from Charleston, SC to anywhere in FL is game.

You don't say the ages of the kids, but let's say they're under 15. I would consider 2 separate rooms that adjoin. There are several on each of the major ship lines. I would book one adult into each room (since kids under 21 can't be booked in a room alone), and 2 kids in 1, and one kid in the other. Upon boarding and getting settled, all kids go in one cabin, and the adults in the other (unless you have a wee child, in case he/she bunks with the parents).

Give a little more information (ages, possible destination), and the suggestions will come.

You don't say the ages of the kids, but let's say they're under 15. I would consider 2 separate rooms that adjoin. There are several on each of the major ship lines. I would book one adult into each room (since kids under 21 can't be booked in a room alone), and 2 kids in 1, and one kid in the other. Upon boarding and getting settled, all kids go in one cabin, and the adults in the other (unless you have a wee child, in case he/she bunks with the parents).

Give a little more information (ages, possible destination), and the suggestions will come.

Incorrect... they can be booked in a statroom across the hall or next to the parents staterooms. Carnival has relaxed that policy.

Incorrect... they can be booked in a statroom across the hall or next to the parents staterooms. Carnival has relaxed that policy.

NCL won't allow it. When reserving 2 connecting cabins, I made the mistake of giving them the adult info first, and the agent had to go back and put one of us in the other room.

Kiddos are 17, 9 and 4. The 17 year old turns 18 in March. I know that NCL and DCL sometimes offer kids sail free, and Costa generally does as a rule. On the other hand, Carnival can book 5 into a single room. Are there none that do both?

What other cruise lines offer staterooms that sleep 5?

Kids sail "free" is not offered on all sailings and less often offered on Disney than Costa and NCL sometimes will offer a reduced fare for children. Keep in mind also that when you see those "kids sail free" offers, many times they have to be in the same stateroom as the adults. And the "Free" portion is the "cruise fare" but they still have the port charges/taxes that they nust pay.

Kids sail free requires TWO paying adults in the cabin with the kids. Which still leaves five in a cabin. Ships built after 2000 cannot put five in a cabin, with the exception of Carnival Dream which has a few family cabins for five, with two bathrooms. Your Fantasy class ships, Fantasy, Fascination, Sensation will allow five in a quad cabin. EM

The NCL Spirit sailing out of NOLA part of the year (and I can't remember from where the other part) has insides that do indeed hold 5. Now, having sailed in one of those for a week with 2 adults and one 7yo, I would only recommend this if your children are all under 10 and you can travel light. There is still only one bathroom though.

Working with my clients, I’ve usually found that combining a double outside or even a balcony cabin with an inside triple or quad cabin across the hall usually works out to be less expensive than a family suite. You’ll need to book more than 3 months out to be able to select specific cabins and not end up with cabins on different decks. If you want “family suites” they usually book more than 6 months out. You won’t be able to do this on line. Either call a travel agent or the cruise lines who has access to the entire available inventory so that they can find the cabins across the hall from each other.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Family Inside or Outside Stateroom (not suites) on RCCL ships can be had inexpensively if you're patient and flexible. These staterooms have a sitting area with sleep sofa, separate area with bunk beds, two twins that form a queen and anywhere from 265 to over 300SF in space. Watch their Happy Hour Specials or try to book last minute for the best deal on these cabins.

My family of five just got off RCI's Jewel and stayed in room 8002, a Family ocean view. We loved the set up of the room and the price was quite a bit less than two rooms. It is quoted as 319 sq ft.

It had a king size, fold out couch and bunk beds in a small curtained off room. We couldn't believe the storage space!

Archived