Tipping: Reduced when you attend Specialty Restaurants?

The person said that the reason (s)he tips in cash is so the server can claim what they want. That is the reason that poster said (s)he tips in cash.

Nothing wrong with that, she is not colluding with them. She is not sending ESP signals. They do what they are going to do.

Nothing wrong with that, she is not colluding with them. She is not sending ESP signals. They do what they are going to do.

(S)he is saying that the reason (s)he tips is cash is to make it easier for the server to cheat on his/her taxes. Read the post, that is the express reason given for tipping in cash by that poster.

(S)he is saying that the reason (s)he tips is cash is to make it easier for the server to cheat on his/her taxes. Read the post, that is the express reason given for tipping in cash by that poster.

That is a problem? I don't understand what her motivation for leaving a cash tip to a server has anything to do with anything.

That's for the people that like to tip @ 50% as opposed to 15%. It really should read ADDITIONAL GRATUITY.

If I have extra money to throw at anybody, it's going to go to my MDR servers.

Not sure where you are getting 50%/15% figures. Tipping at any good restaurant would be 20% - but you can't really figure this out on tips for the specialty restaurants as they have a "surcharge" which is different from an actual charge. Try eating in any halfway decent steakhouse and tell me you can get out of there for $25 for appetizer (maybe two), salad, entree and dessert - please, please, please tell me where this place is as I'd love to go there. I'm not a huge steakhouse fan, but last time I ate in one, my entree alone was $68.

That is a problem? I don't understand what her motivation for leaving a cash tip to a server has anything to do with anything.

Because the express purpose for leaving a cash tip was to allow the person to cheat on their taxes.

Absolutely nothing! Its all down to the server whether they declare or not and not us. If I tip cash its out of my hands what they do next and to be honest I couldnt care less.

I feel the same, I just thought he might know something I didn't.

Because the express purpose for leaving a cash tip was to allow the person to cheat on their taxes.

I am the one who stated I usually tip in cash. I don't do this to 'allow' them to 'cheat' on their taxes. Does that happen, maybe, but that's my problem. They need to claim a certain amount and they do. Anything above and beyond they are free to do with as they wish.

A previous poster had put many other examples of when cash is paid that the government does not know about.

Again, we are not talking millions of dollars here so what is the point? I added that post as people were talking about servers in the US needing to claim all their tips and other didn't get how the government wouldn't know about them. This is one way.

The citizens of the U.S.

Well, that is a pretty big group. However, if the citizens of the USA believe that tipping in cash results in the servers under reporting their tips, then they should include the tip on their credit card or debit card.

Well, that is a pretty big group. However, if the citizens of the USA believe that tipping in cash results in the servers under reporting their tips, then they should include the tip on their credit card or debit card.

So anybody not in possession of either, for whatever reason, is not allowed to have a bite at the local diner?

I used to leave my tip this way, but so many places have to re-run the card # for the tip after you leave and I've been dinged for much more $$ for the tip than I wrote on the slip. Now I leave cash or if I write a check I will include it. Debit/credit.... not any more!

Anybody not in possession of either will have to tip in cash.

Just dont leave coins....or, at least, if you are going to leave coins dont mention on these boards or MrsPete will beat you down because of it.:cool:

I gotta say, when I do actually tip cash I realize that doing so allows the server to decide if they want to declare it or not on their taxes, and part of me feels like I am benefiting them by doing that. I dont tip cash all the time but when I do I realize this is an option for the server.

What they do, or do not, do with the cash is up to them and not my responsibility and there is no collusion.

No, according to IRS, the server has to claim a certain % of hers/his total sales. That's the ONLY way IRS can have some control.

It's impossible to ask the server that got a $50 check to automatically claim $15 in tips. What if the person only tips $5. Should the server be punished for that?

So IRS came up with a simple formula and don't ask me what is these days, but it works for both sides. I believe it comes out to 5% or so for their total sales. Anything the server earned above that from tips, it's pretty much money in a pocket, untaxed. At least that's how it worked in my younger days.

Sorry to disagree, but I have an intimate relationship with IRS and what they say is a server is supposed to claim ALL of their tips. They understand that's not going to happen and they can hardly prove that it didn't happen, so they then require the company to provide information that the servers claimed x % of their sales. In a perfect world (per IRS), everyone would claim all their tips. Of course, they also require people to claim garage sale income. Some things just never will happen, and they will pick their battles.

Felicia

No - they don't get $50.00 a month. I've watched a TV show on cruises and read various reports on this topic and the average wage is $2,500.00 a month...tax free unless you are a US citizen. The $50.00 amount is an urban myth.

yep its true ask the person who works there. Its true that some cruise lines pay a minimum draw against the tips but they will fire them if they consistently don't meet the minimum. Also they are taxed on the amount if their country has an income tax. the cruise lines don't withhold any taxes but taxes are still due. The average wage cited includes the tips. Its no urban legend that the base pay is $50-100 per month. Its true they also get room and board and uniforms....but the cash base is the amount discussed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107696&page=2

I am always amazed about the lengths that people go to remove $10.50 per day on a cruise ship...

BTW the IRS uses 15% as an estimated amount but they understand that the wait staff at a restaurant has to tip out the bus boys and others. Its pretty clear that most of the people posting about its ok to cut the tips never worked at a restaurant.

Archived