Tipping: Reduced when you attend Specialty Restaurants?

You tip for all seven days because the tips are all pooled and will include when your severs are working either the MDR or Windjammer when you eat breakfast and lunch there too. Think of it as tips for a full day's eating, not just dinner.

You tip for all seven days because the tips are all pooled and will include when your severs are working either the MDR or Windjammer when you eat breakfast and lunch there too. Think of it as tips for a full day's eating, not just dinner.

Thank God I asked! Didn't know...

Makes a lot more sense now!

Exactly right - those people are serving you at other meals as well, so tip the full amount.

No problem!

Just remember, the GREAT thing about cruising is you're not forced to do ANYTHING. It's all so open and free and wonderful. If you only tip for five days, no one's gonna chase you down the gangplank. However, it's really a nice gesture (and I think more commonly done) to tip for all seven days because of what I stated above.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses now. This is a hot topic (do a search). I've found most on here do tip all seven days. You'll start seeing a bunch of people saying that they get paid $50 a month and we need to support them (:rolleyes:) and others saying, "Too bad, I didn't eat there," or, "I'll leave cash in the Windjammer.." Whatever. What I told you is definitely what I've seen as the majority here. My friend and I prepaid our tips on the Liberty and only ate there five nights and didn't even think about it, actually!

Any other questions? :) (Not that I'm some crazy expert, that's for sure.)

We always prepay the tips and never give it a thought if we eat somewhere other than the main dining room. I figure it all works out in the end and they need the tips.

After all, when we dine out at home we always tip so why wouldn't we assume we needed to do that on the ship too.

Yes, that is correct.

Anne

No - they don't get $50.00 a month. I've watched a TV show on cruises and read various reports on this topic and the average wage is $2,500.00 a month...tax free unless you are a US citizen. The $50.00 amount is an urban myth.

No - they don't get $50.00 a month. I've watched a TV show on cruises and read various reports on this topic and the average wage is $2,500.00 a month...tax free unless you are a US citizen. The $50.00 amount is an urban myth.

The $2500 a month is the $50.00 a month salary plus the tips they make for the month.

Bill

The $2500 a month is the $50.00 a month salary plus the tips they make for the month.

Bill

Correct and that assumes that none of their passengers stiff them. If you adjust your daily tips for those nights that you don't dine in the MDR, you will be saving the lordly amount of $6.25 per person/per night:rolleyes:and, as someone has already pointed out, that daily tip also covers the other meals you eat in the Windjammer or the main dining room. If the wait staff on RCI and other lines were becoming wealthy from their cruise ship employment you can bet we would see many more unemployed Americans lining up for those jobs, even if that income was taxed. Of course many of us would not be willing to work the long hours that are an integral part of working on a cruise ship.:)

Actually your post is a myth. The $2,500 is the approximate tips they earn in a month. The waiters on most mass market cruise lines earn about $50 a month in salary - nearly all of their income comes from tips. This is common knowledge and well documented, not a myth.

On the Jewel in our waiter said he earnt $50 a month from RC but had to pay for his uniform and air fare out of his wages so they docked him $15 a month for his 9mth sailing.

He also said he could on a good sailing earn $250 to $300 dollars but depended where in the dining room he was put as some part he had 4 tables of 6 or 4 tables of 4 or a combination. Also depended on how many turned up for dinner.

We had a table for 8 and 2 never turned up at all 2 turned up 1st night then never again in the whole 11 days so he didnt earn much from our table. (we did give him & the assisant waiter a bit more than standard tips but only cos they were both so great)

On the Jewel in our waiter said he earnt $50 a month from RC but had to pay for his uniform and air fare out of his wages so they docked him $15 a month for his 9mth sailing.

He also said he could on a good sailing earn $250 to $300 dollars but depended where in the dining room he was put as some part he had 4 tables of 6 or 4 tables of 4 or a combination. Also depended on how many turned up for dinner.

We had a table for 8 and 2 never turned up at all 2 turned up 1st night then never again in the whole 11 days so he didnt earn much from our table. (we did give him & the assisant waiter a bit more than standard tips but only cos they were both so great)

You're assuming the two that only came the first night didn't tip but there's no basis to that assumption. They may very well have prepaid their tips but decided they preferred to utilize other dining venues available.

Not taking dinner at your assigned table doesn't mean people haven't tipped. It only means they're not eating in the MDR!

Stupid question--but do the servers really only get paid $50 a month, plus tips?
Yes, $50/month - plus tips, plus room and board, plus health insurance. They work hard for it, but a lot of people in the US would like to earn $1-2,000/month after taxes, room/board and insurance.

And remember, the fee you pay for specialty dining includes the tip!

CB I was just going to ask this question!! :D I never realized that and dh and I always gave $20 as a tip. I will continue to do so though as the service is just top notch. We will be eating there twice this May and cannot wait!!

Yes, $50/month - plus tips, plus room and board, plus health insurance. They work hard for it, but a lot of people in the US would like to earn $1-2,000/month after taxes, room/board and insurance.

Then maybe you can explain why in these tough economic times we don't see US citizens filling those positions. If the jobs are so good, even after taxes, it has to be better than being unemployed. You might recall that when NCL America was required to have an all-American crew, they quickly moved for a modification of that requirement because they couldn't retain enough US citizens in those service positions to meet the rule.

Then maybe you can explain why in these tough economic times we don't see US citizens filling those positions. If the jobs are so good, even after taxes, it has to be better than being unemployed. You might recall that when NCL America was required to have an all-American crew, they quickly moved for a modification of that requirement because they couldn't retain enough US citizens in those service positions to meet the rule.
The tax situation is not as good for US citizens as it is for non-US citizens. A US citizen would net less in the same job. Also, it appears from the interview linked earlier, that cruise lines avoid hiring US citizens as best they can.

Archived