CIGARS N BALCONIES What say you?

pnjkeith

Honestly I found my balcony to be quite windy on our last cruise so it took away from my enjoyment of my cigars. I think I preferred the cigar lounge. But I suppose if my ship didn't have a cigar lounge then I'd be stuck on the balcony.

Honestly I found my balcony to be quite windy on our last cruise so it took away from my enjoyment of my cigars. I think I preferred the cigar lounge. But I suppose if my ship didn't have a cigar lounge then I'd be stuck on the balcony.

I'm going to be booking aft balconies in the future... That way, at least when on the move, the wind shouldn't be (or I could be completely wrong...) too much of a problem...

Just something to consider...I get severe migraines from cologne/perfume and I can not stand the smell.......what side of the ship shall I be on?

Well, personally, if you can smell someone's cologne or perfume from the balcony, I think you have the right to throw a bucket of water on them.:D Likewise, if they are playing loud music, farting (yes, I have experience this, and knowing my DH, he is probably guilty of it - so anyone who has sail next to us, please except my appologies:o) etc - it's all bad.

Obviously, we can't fix all the issues. And, since we do know that second hand smoke can cause cancer, I do, personally, feel that smoking is in a different category. But since the cruise line is willing to say that outside decks are half and half, it doesn't seem much of a leap to me to extend that to the balconies as well. Again, JMHO.

Well, personally, if you can smell someone's cologne or perfume from the balcony, I think you have the right to throw a bucket of water on them.:D Likewise, if they are playing loud music, farting (yes, I have experience this, and knowing my DH, he is probably guilty of it - so anyone who has sail next to us, please except my appologies:o) etc - it's all bad.

Obviously, we can't fix all the issues. And, since we do know that second hand smoke can cause cancer, I do, personally, feel that smoking is in a different category. But since the cruise line is willing to say that outside decks are half and half, it doesn't seem much of a leap to me to extend that to the balconies as well. Again, JMHO.

This is all in fun...

But I am subjected to the perfume in all areas of the ship..not only on a Balcony...Second Hand perfume causes Migraines :eek:

This is all in fun...

But I am subjected to the perfume in all areas of the ship..not only on a Balcony...Second Hand perfume causes Migraines :eek:

I feel for you...my BF has the same thing. But again, travel with my DH, and you will have your nose hairs so singed that you will relish the perfume to drive away the other smells...trust me!;)

Ordinarily I am not a smoker. But on a cruise, I do indulge in an occasional cigar (Cuban) late in the evening on my balcony as I enjoy the view and a good book.

My $.02.........I paid for my private balcony.......there is almost always a nice sea breeze blowing........and If the minimal tobacco odor from my cigar offends......(remember, I paid for my balcony the same as you).......then so be it.

If CCL is ever so foolish as to ban this activity explicitly, I will, of course, comply. Until then, I will puff away as I wish.

Ordinarily I am not a smoker. But on a cruise, I do indulge in an occasional cigar (Cuban) late in the evening on my balcony as I enjoy the view and a good book.

My $.02.........I paid for my private balcony.......there is almost always a nice sea breeze blowing........and If the minimal tobacco odor from my cigar offends......(remember, I paid for my balcony the same as you).......then so be it.

If CCL is ever so foolish as to ban this activity explicitly, I will, of course, comply. Until then, I will puff away as I wish.

I agree with your right to smoke as it is permitted, but please have the courtesy to see where your smoke may be blowing, especially if there is a gentle breeze.

You don't see many people chain smoking cigars so if it really bothers you stay off your balcony for the 40 mins or so it makes them to smoke...IMHO

Would you feel that way if someone was doing something offensive that was bothering you? Playing loud music, slamming doors etc while you were sleeping, spitting or peeing on your balcony...whatever it is...

We govern all types of behavior by saying where and when people can do things. For example, we don't have co-ed bathrooms, as a general rule. Many people would be greatly disturbed about having to share a bathroom with the opposite sex. I on the otherhand could care less - it doesn't mean that I don't respect other people's needs - in this case privacy.

We ask people all the time to balance their personal rights with that of the community. The 4th amendment, and all it's exceptions are the ultimate example of that. It is done with the idea of respecting everyones needs and wishes - both personal and communal. I respect a person's right to smoke, I just wish certain smokers would respect my right not to smell it.

Again - can't we all just get along? My side of the ship smoke free - the other side, smokers have a ball!

I too, am not a cigarette smoker, but LOVE an occasional cigar out on the balcony with the gorgeous ocean and a good book and a drink. Ah, paradise! :D

Would you feel that way if someone was doing something offensive that was bothering you? Playing loud music, slamming doors etc while you were sleeping, spitting or peeing on your balcony...whatever it is...

We govern all types of behavior by saying where and when people can do things. For example, we don't have co-ed bathrooms, as a general rule. Many people would be greatly disturbed about having to share a bathroom with the opposite sex. I on the otherhand could care less - it doesn't mean that I don't respect other people's needs - in this case privacy.

We ask people all the time to balance their personal rights with that of the community. The 4th amendment, and all it's exceptions are the ultimate example of that. It is done with the idea of respecting everyones needs and wishes - both personal and communal. I respect a person's right to smoke, I just wish certain smokers would respect my right not to smell it.

Again - can't we all just get along? My side of the ship smoke free - the other side, smokers have a ball!

C'mon. How bad can the cigar smell be on the open sea?? I can't believe you're comparing the slight smell of a cigar smoked outside to sharing a bathroom with the opposite sex! :rolleyes:

Right on A&JFam... It's not a bad idea... cabins on different sides of the ship, one side for smoking, one side for non. Then if I were a non-smoker and truly wanted a room on that side of the ship and it was the smoking side, then it would be my choice to stay on that side. Then I would be forbidden to whine and gripe and complain on message boards. Of course, if I were a smoker and really wanted a room on the non-smoking side, I might whine and gripe and complain about how unfair it is. Waaaaaaa. :D

smoking is a CHOICE and it's not ok to force your own CHOICE onto other people by smoking in places that are near them. When you smoke on your balcony, it fills other rooms with smoke and means I can't use my balcony without smelling your disgusting, cancer-causing filth. Keep it to yourself. It's your choice to be unhealthy and die by smoking, not mine.

If you could keep you smoke to yourself then I'd belive that you should be able to smoke anywhere but that's not the case, it goes everywhere. Second hand smoke kills too and you don't have the right to force that upon people.

Smoke away though, please thin the heard a little more.

I agree with your right to smoke as it is permitted, but please have the courtesy to see where your smoke may be blowing, especially if there is a gentle breeze.

Why should he worry about where the breeze is carrying his smoke? He has no control over that, he can only control where he smokes, and as long as its in a designated area, then the breeze is not his concern. But hey, if the smokey breeze is coming over to your balcony and bothering you, then I guess you will have to go inside...

C'mon. How bad can the cigar smell be on the open sea?? I can't believe you're comparing the slight smell of a cigar smoked outside to sharing a bathroom with the opposite sex! :rolleyes:

Well, from experience I can tell you that it is pretty bad - enough to drive me off my balcony. We also had a chain smoker on one cruise right next to us, and she lit up from 5 am to 12 midnight. Have no idea when the woman slept.

My point about the bathrooms was just that - it is all about perspective. I could care less about sharing a bathroom with the opposite sex - did it for 2 years in college. Showered in private stalls, divided only by curtains. Men used the urinals as they saw fit. Really, it is no big deal.

If I had to chose, I would take co-ed bathrooms in a heartbeat over having to smell smoke. But again, that was the point of my comment.

My DH is an ex-smoker, for almost 10 years now, and it bothers him even more than me...and that is saying a lot.

Right on A&JFam... It's not a bad idea... cabins on different sides of the ship, one side for smoking, one side for non. Then if I were a non-smoker and truly wanted a room on that side of the ship and it was the smoking side, then it would be my choice to stay on that side. Then I would be forbidden to whine and gripe and complain on message boards. Of course, if I were a smoker and really wanted a room on the non-smoking side, I might whine and gripe and complain about how unfair it is. Waaaaaaa. :D

Thank you. And I agree that if you then CHOSE to be on a side that was contrary to your habits, you should simply adjust - AND NO WHINING!

smoking is a CHOICE and it's not ok to force your own CHOICE onto other people by smoking in places that are near them. When you smoke on your balcony, it fills other rooms with smoke and means I can't use my balcony without smelling your disgusting, cancer-causing filth. Keep it to yourself. It's your choice to be unhealthy and die by smoking, not mine.

If you could keep you smoke to yourself then I'd belive that you should be able to smoke anywhere but that's not the case, it goes everywhere. Second hand smoke kills too and you don't have the right to force that upon people.

Smoke away though, please thin the heard a little more.

There are cruise lines out there that don't allow smoking at all, so why don't you try one of them...and as far as a neighbor smoking on their balcony filling up your room with smoke, I call B.S. You may catch a whiff, but unless the smoker is on your balcony blowing smoke directly into your room, then its not enough to hurt you.

To explain more...yes I would love a smoke free world..but I know that won't happen...so:

I don't understand why people don't just avoid the smoking areas...if I am walking the deck and see someone smoking...I don't sit near them, I walk on the other side....it's not a big deal. (I am allergic to smoke...so I avoid smoke if at all possible)

I don't like smoking, but if the cruise line allows it..then let them smoke. We have never booked a balcony, so i am not sure how smoking on the balcony would effect it...but we have never had a problem in the rooms with smelling smoke.

There are cruise lines out there that don't allow smoking at all, so why don't you try one of them...and as far as a neighbor smoking on their balcony filling up your room with smoke, I call B.S. You may catch a whiff, but unless the smoker is on your balcony blowing smoke directly into your room, then its not enough to hurt you.

My thoughts exactly. ;)

Archived