CIGARS N BALCONIES What say you?

pnjkeith

I agree with your right to smoke as it is permitted, but please have the courtesy to see where your smoke may be blowing, especially if there is a gentle breeze.

At normal cruising speed ,There is no such thing as a gentle breeze on a balcony . I do smoke cigars on my balcony while at sea but not while at anchor .

Would it bother me to be restricted to one side of the ship ? No not as long as i can get a balcony cabin . Would that stop all trhe biatchin about us that enjoy a good cigar ? No.

Based on reading this thread........I plan to increase my normal balcony cigar-smoking. ;)

If only to annoy any potential holier-than-thou people who may be aft of me.

Fact.......CCL allows smoking on my balcony. (which I paid for)

So......if it is that much of an issue for you......find a cruise line that prohibits smoking.....and cruise with them.

To be completely honest, smoking is not a deal breaker for me. I just don't like to be told that I should not partake in an activity that is legal and permitted, just because some find it offensive/annoying/ or otherwise incorrect (according to them).

Based on reading this thread........I plan to increase my normal balcony cigar-smoking. ;)

If only to annoy any potential holier-than-thou people who may be aft of me.

Fact.......CCL allows smoking on my balcony. (which I paid for)

So......if it is that much of an issue for you......find a cruise line that prohibits smoking.....and cruise with them.

To be completely honest, smoking is not a deal breaker for me. I just don't like to be told that I should not partake in an activity that is legal and permitted, just because some find it offensive/annoying/ or otherwise incorrect (according to them).

smiley-laughing001.gif

smiley-laughing025.gif

On the last cruise we took, we had a cigarette smokers on the balcony to the right and a cigar smoker to the left. We had cigarette butts on our balcony floor three times. ICK. The cigars were really strong and often intruded when we were on our balcony reading or sunning. We pay extra for mini-suites or balconies to be able to enjoy the benefits of a quiet open air space. My husband and I realize that everyone should have the right to use their balcony. But WOW, there are really some very awful cigars out there. We haven't asked people not to smoke, we just close our cabin door or move to another area on the deck.

Well theres a lot of things in the world I find offensive, ugly people kissing in public, cougars marinating in "White Diamonds", screechimg children in the main dining room, or the serenity deck...etc etc... I just booked my 2nd cruise ever on the freedom, both for it's awesome cigar bar, and for the balcony I booked to enjoy my carribean treasures. Relax people, it is a vacation, so unless youre looking for criticism on your person habits, live and let live. WE are all on VACATION!:D

smoking is a CHOICE and it's not ok to force your own CHOICE onto other people by smoking in places that are near them. When you smoke on your balcony, it fills other rooms with smoke and means I can't use my balcony without smelling your disgusting, cancer-causing filth. Keep it to yourself. It's your choice to be unhealthy and die by smoking, not mine.

If you could keep you smoke to yourself then I'd belive that you should be able to smoke anywhere but that's not the case, it goes everywhere. Second hand smoke kills too and you don't have the right to force that upon people.

Smoke away though, please thin the heard a little more.

You also have a CHOICE - there are cruise lines that don't allow smoking or have very limited smoking areas. Even though I am an exsmoker - and BTW, I don't find it as offensive as some claim exsmokers do - I would never cruise on a line that doesn't allow smoking, because my DH smokes - that's my CHOICE.

Like a previous poster, we paid for a balcony so that my DH has a place to smoke. Second hand smoke in an enclosed area is harmful, when it is mixed with that much air - from my balcony to yours - it isn't gonna cause any harm unless you are somehow funnelling it from my balcony into your lungs!!!

Michigan still allows smoking in bars/restaurants, but thankfully that is changing on May 1. No more smoking in bars or restaurants. Finally! There is one local restaurant we won't go to, they have absolutely no divider between their "smoking" and "non-smoking" section. You can be sitting in a booth in the "non-smoking" section, and right behind you in the very next booth people can be smoking. Ridiculous.

Thankfully we have not been bothered by cigar smokers on our cruises. We have had a few cigarette smokers but no chain smokers that were out there from sun up until sun down. I think it's wonderful when both parties (smokers and non) can come to an agreement about smoking on the balcony. Everyone deserves to enjoy their balcony. But it's those who say they will purposely smoke extra on their balcony "just to piss off their neighbors" that give smokers a bad name.

There was another smoking thread recently that I posted on, but it either got pulled or my post went poof. But I'll say again, I wish cruise lines would make one side of balcony staterooms smoking and the other side non-smoking. Wouldn't that keep everyone happy then? Smokers could smoke on their balconies without being annoyed by non-smokers "fake coughing" or complaining about them. And non-smokers could enjoy their balconies without smoke from cigarettes or cigars wafting over to them. I really don't understand why they don't do that, and why they don't tell us what their reasons are for not doing it.

As far as cigars go, I wish they could be banned to just the cigar lounge. They are very stinky things, much worse than cigarettes.

Michigan still allows smoking in bars/restaurants, but thankfully that is changing on May 1. No more smoking in bars or restaurants. Finally! There is one local restaurant we won't go to, they have absolutely no divider between their "smoking" and "non-smoking" section. You can be sitting in a booth in the "non-smoking" section, and right behind you in the very next booth people can be smoking. Ridiculous.

Thankfully we have not been bothered by cigar smokers on our cruises. We have had a few cigarette smokers but no chain smokers that were out there from sun up until sun down. I think it's wonderful when both parties (smokers and non) can come to an agreement about smoking on the balcony. Everyone deserves to enjoy their balcony. But it's those who say they will purposely smoke extra on their balcony "just to piss off their neighbors" that give smokers a bad name.

There was another smoking thread recently that I posted on, but it either got pulled or my post went poof. But I'll say again, I wish cruise lines would make one side of balcony staterooms smoking and the other side non-smoking. Wouldn't that keep everyone happy then? Smokers could smoke on their balconies without being annoyed by non-smokers "fake coughing" or complaining about them. And non-smokers could enjoy their balconies without smoke from cigarettes or cigars wafting over to them. I really don't understand why they don't do that, and why they don't tell us what their reasons are for not doing it.

As far as cigars go, I wish they could be banned to just the cigar lounge. They are very stinky things, much worse than cigarettes.

I kind of pointed out why they don't make one side of the ship smoking vs non smoking... although I'm sure with some additional questions on the booking, you could theoretically still have the cheaper guaranteed rates by having someone indicate whether they'd want smoking or non smoking state rooms.

Question becomes then, what happens if/when either the smoking or non smoking side fills up? if the smoking side fills up, and another smoker can't get a smoking room, you've just impacted their cruise enjoyment to satisfy someone else.. And conversely, if the non smoking side fills up, and another non smoker wants a balcony room, the only option would be to be surrounded by smokers... Once again, you've completely impacted that cruisers ability to enjoy their cruise to satisfy someone else.

It's just not as simple as you people make it out to be. The most "happy medium" way to disperse smokers vs non smokers (as I'm sure there are more non smokers on the cruise) is to make every room smoking available, and then they are more than likely spread out, and not affecting the whole cruise. Logically it's the only solution that makes sense so that "everyone is happy".

As far as cigars being worse smelling than cigarettes... I can tell you from vast experience... the bad smelling cigars are just bad cigars. A good Montecristo, 5 Vegas, Fuente Opus X, Partagas Black etc... They all have really good aromas... Especially vs that of a cigarette (which I smoked for the better part of 10 years).

Conversely, those non smokers who are "my way or the highway" types give them a bad name too. Feigning offense to get a smoker to "feel bad" and stop smoking around you is just as bad as a smoker being a chain smoker to be offensive.

I kind of pointed out why they don't make one side of the ship smoking vs non smoking... although I'm sure with some additional questions on the booking, you could theoretically still have the cheaper guaranteed rates by having someone indicate whether they'd want smoking or non smoking state rooms.

Question becomes then, what happens if/when either the smoking or non smoking side fills up? if the smoking side fills up, and another smoker can't get a smoking room, you've just impacted their cruise enjoyment to satisfy someone else.. And conversely, if the non smoking side fills up, and another non smoker wants a balcony room, the only option would be to be surrounded by smokers... Once again, you've completely impacted that cruisers ability to enjoy their cruise to satisfy someone else.

It's just not as simple as you people make it out to be. The most "happy medium" way to disperse smokers vs non smokers (as I'm sure there are more non smokers on the cruise) is to make every room smoking available, and then they are more than likely spread out, and not affecting the whole cruise. Logically it's the only solution that makes sense so that "everyone is happy".

As far as cigars being worse smelling than cigarettes... I can tell you from vast experience... the bad smelling cigars are just bad cigars. A good Montecristo, 5 Vegas, Fuente Opus X, Partagas Black etc... They all have really good aromas... Especially vs that of a cigarette (which I smoked for the better part of 10 years).

Conversely, those non smokers who are "my way or the highway" types give them a bad name too. Feigning offense to get a smoker to "feel bad" and stop smoking around you is just as bad as a smoker being a chain smoker to be offensive.

What's the difference with this versus smokers impacting non-smokers...:confused:

If everyone would just be courteous and aware of their surroundings things would be better all around.

As a past smoker (cigs) I know that I tried to be courteous to non-smokers as much as I could and still enjoy my smoking.

Then there are other smokers that could give a rat's bum where their smoke might be going - sometimes just spitefully. Not helping the cause...

I wouldn't care where anyone smokes cigars in open air areas as long as they would make a reasonable effort to stay down wind of others as much as possible.

Archived