Solstice 1/31/10 - 2/7/10: What was hot, what was not!

Ray_Ray

What would you WANT to see on the daily activities?

A few suggestions:

- Scheduled art tours daily

- Steel drum band by the pool would be nice

- Interesting lectures and guest speakers

- Cooking classes hosted by Celebrity chefs

- Drink and mixology tips hosted by Celebrity Bartenders

- Dance lessons that teach more upbeat moves, i.e. salsa, latin, ect... (not the waltz)

we had all that on Solstice--just wish the steel drum (one man who was quite good) was a full reggae band instead! & that the others (guitar etc...)were better quality musicians or singers...

CD Dru Pavlov was on board for both our Solstice cruises & several others . His wife Melanie is in Future cruise sales...guess they are either on vacation or moved to another ship.. Dru is a great CD...perfect for X

We are hopeful about Summit in Sept...but of course there will be changes musicians by then.....

Congrats to Celebrity & Solstice for the recent accolades!

we had all that on Solstice--just wish the steel drum (one man who was quite good) was a full reggae band instead! & that the others (guitar etc...)were better quality musicians or singers...

CD Dru Pavlov was on board for both our Solstice cruises & several others . His wife Melanie is in Future cruise sales...guess they are either on vacation or moved to another ship.. Dru is a great CD...perfect for X

We are hopeful about Summit in Sept...but of course there will be changes musicians by then.....

Congrats to Celebrity & Solstice for the recent accolades!

I looked at the Solstice dailys for last week and haven't seen any of that. The only activity that comes close was the chef cook off. It would've been cool to have them show you how to make interesting appetizers or pastries. We weren't interested in watching them compete with each other.

Where are you going in Sept on Summit?

I think that there is little that pleases some and thankfully those that moan over little nit picky things won't be on Celebrity ships to foul it up for the rest of us. I just don't like being among those that are so contrary that they can't maintain a reasonable perspective on how to enjoy a vacation.

Daily art tours...like the ship is the Louvre.:rolleyes: Gimme a break!

Just cx Oasis for Eclipse.. and not at all regretting...

Snooza Palooza? Bring it on...

60 hour work weeks, non stop travel.. 2 kids...

Cant wait to relax and be pampered.

I appreciate the perspective each reviewer brings.. whether I am of the same mindset or not. Thanks for taking the time to post Ray Ray!

Were you on this cruise last week? Do you know what hip-hop is? This bar never played hip-hop unless they played it after 50's or 60's trivia (which is when we weren't in Sky) and I doubt they would do that.

I was on this cruise on 1/17. I obviously can't comment on what was played during your cruise, but I do know that the one time I went to the Sky Bar at night on the cruise a couple weeks prior to yours they were playing hip-hop when I went in. Maybe they only played a few songs, who knows, as I didn't stay that long. Possibly it was the only time in the entire history of Celebrity Solstice that they played hip-hop at night in the Sky Bar. But they were.

I don't think it's necessary to insult me by insinuating I don't know what hip-hop is.

I saw you suggested that interesting lectures could be added to the activities roster- did you attend the few that were given? I did not get the chance although I wanted to. Were they any good? The naturalist onboard Mercury in May was excellent.

I think that there is little that pleases some and thankfully those that moan over little nit picky things won't be on Celebrity ships to foul it up for the rest of us. I just don't like being among those that are so contrary that they can't maintain a reasonable perspective on how to enjoy a vacation.

Daily art tours...like the ship is the Louvre.:rolleyes: Gimme a break!

This website is cruise critic. A place where cruisers can comment on their experiences, make suggestions on improvements while discussing in detail their likes and dislikes. If you don't appreciate the content and discussion, and can't keep an objection demeanour, you would probably be best served to vacate this medium.

I was on this cruise on 1/17. I obviously can't comment on what was played during your cruise, but I do know that the one time I went to the Sky Bar at night on the cruise a couple weeks prior to yours they were playing hip-hop when I went in. Maybe they only played a few songs, who knows, as I didn't stay that long. Possibly it was the only time in the entire history of Celebrity Solstice that they played hip-hop at night in the Sky Bar. But they were.

I don't think it's necessary to insult me by insinuating I don't know what hip-hop is.

I saw you suggested that interesting lectures could be added to the activities roster- did you attend the few that were given? I did not get the chance although I wanted to. Were they any good? The naturalist onboard Mercury in May was excellent.

Hey dylaness, it was only a question, no intent to insult. Pardon the lack of tone inflection, tough to do sometimes on these boards.

They only had a few lectures which were uninteresting to me. I like to be adventurous and open minded but the sessions on Acupuncture, How to combat diabetes and osteoporosis, Rosetta Stone, and file mgmt on digital cameras would've just been torture. I would've gone to a naturalist lecture, I think that would be fascinating.

Just cx Oasis for Eclipse.. and not at all regretting...

Snooza Palooza? Bring it on...

60 hour work weeks, non stop travel.. 2 kids...

Cant wait to relax and be pampered.

I appreciate the perspective each reviewer brings.. whether I am of the same mindset or not. Thanks for taking the time to post Ray Ray!

You're welcome, have a good time.

Thanks for your review. We were on Solstice last July/August in the Eastern Med and regarding the live music I'd have to agree with you. It was targeted to a much older demographic then was present on board.

We visited several lounges and most of them were a snooze for us. The adults in our group ranged from early forties to early seventies.

As you know it's hard to post any negative experience on these boards with out generating at least some flaming, usually from the same people.

We are in the same boat (sorry for the bad pun). We are looking at a cruise to Bermuda and while we were originally planning on the Summit we are seriously looking at the Norwegian Gem due to the lack of many interesting activities and live music.

Ron

This website is cruise critic. A place where cruisers can comment on their experiences, make suggestions on improvements while discussing in detail their likes and dislikes. If you don't appreciate the content and discussion, and can't keep an objection demeanour, you would probably be best served to vacate this medium.

You are correct about this website being for all sorts of ideas including nit pickers and complainers. As a long time Celebrity cruiser, I know about their ships and have been here on cruise critic participating in guiding others in having a good cruise experience as I have been guided many times myself; I've been a member since Cruise Critic was on AOL.

Just so you know, there are books that are in each cabins book racks that describe the ship and the art work on the ship, it is something that was much more prevalent on the RCCL ships due to the extensive art on many of those ships. Celebrity has started this project now too. These books are quite informative if one decides to actually open it up and look at it to reap the benefits contained within its cover. :)

To the OP, thanks for writing your review which are always subjective. One thing though, I've never understood this "caters to an older/younger crowd" thing. A cruise is not what the cruise line makes it but what the individual makes it.

Bob

Yes, but...most businesses, including cruise lines, have a target demographic toward which their products are designed and marketed. While, admittedly, the line separating one cruise line's target demo from another's continues to blur as the industry grapples with an ever increasing number of berths to fill and a sluggish economy, I doubt many travel agents would recommend HAL to a group of party hearty college kids going on spring break, or a RCCL Nickelodeon cruise to an eighty year old bridge playing retired couple seeking a quiet cruise getaway.

You are correct about this website being for all sorts of ideas including nit pickers and complainers. As a long time Celebrity cruiser, I know about their ships and have been here on cruise critic participating in guiding others in having a good cruise experience as I have been guided many times myself; I've been a member since Cruise Critic was on AOL.

Just so you know, there are books that are in each cabins book racks that describe the ship and the art work on the ship, it is something that was much more prevalent on the RCCL ships due to the extensive art on many of those ships. Celebrity has started this project now too. These books are quite informative if one decides to actually open it up and look at it to reap the benefits contained within its cover. :)

Nobody cares how long you've been scouring this board or how much you know about the ships. That has nothing to do with your dismissive and condescending comments.

I read the book you're referring to cover to cover, it was well written but lacking any guidance as to where most of these pieces are located. Eventually we located most of them. Another poster asked what activities would I like to see and you dismissed my reply as nit picking or complaining.

My review here is truthful, fair, and objective. Over twenty points in this review commend the crew and reflect a positive cruise experience, two areas were flagged for improvement needed. You would be hard pressed to classify those two observations as nit picking. IF they can make some adjustments to improve this part of the cruise and 'foul it up for the rest of you', good for them! You can blame it on us moaners and nit pickers. :D

Yes, but...most businesses, including cruise lines, have a target demographic toward which their products are designed and marketed. While, admittedly, the line separating one cruise line's target demo from another's continues to blur as the industry grapples with an ever increasing number of berths to fill and a sluggish economy, I doubt many travel agents would recommend HAL to a group of party hearty college kids going on spring break, or a RCCL Nickelodeon cruise to an eighty year old bridge playing retired couple seeking a quiet cruise getaway.

Agreed.

Thanks for your review. We were on Solstice last July/August in the Eastern Med and regarding the live music I'd have to agree with you. It was targeted to a much older demographic then was present on board.

We visited several lounges and most of them were a snooze for us. The adults in our group ranged from early forties to early seventies.

As you know it's hard to post any negative experience on these boards with out generating at least some flaming, usually from the same people.

We are in the same boat (sorry for the bad pun). We are looking at a cruise to Bermuda and while we were originally planning on the Summit we are seriously looking at the Norwegian Gem due to the lack of many interesting activities and live music.

Ron

Ron, are you going to Bermuda this summer?

Nobody cares how long you've been scouring this board or how much you know about the ships. That has nothing to do with your dismissive and condescending comments.

I read the book you're referring to cover to cover, it was well written but lacking any guidance as to where most of these pieces are located. Eventually we located most of them. Another poster asked what activities would I like to see and you dismissed my reply as nit picking or complaining.

My review here is truthful, fair, and objective. Over twenty points in this review commend the crew and reflect a positive cruise experience, two areas were flagged for improvement needed. You would be hard pressed to classify those two observations as nit picking. IF they can make some adjustments to improve this part of the cruise and 'foul it up for the rest of you', good for them! You can blame it on us moaners and nit pickers. :D

Ray you can go back and look at the posts I have made to your topic here and I am sure you will find I did say I found the reivew balanced. At one point I am fairly certain that I was the first to ask what else you were looking for since it seemed that what ever options were put before you were substandard for your tastes. Another poster a bit later on in the thread asked the same question again.

As for fouling it up for the rest of us, I doubt that those who were insulted by the negative insinuations made about Celebrity cruisers who love naps, including myself, will cease taking them or stop cruising Celebrity to make your cruise atmosphere better. This seemed to me to be your biggest complaint so I doubt you will really want to cruise Celebrity again.

Celebrity cruisers do not require much external stimulation, and the pool deck music rotates the entertainers on board for a variety of tastes with less time playing so that there is relaxing environment.

An iPod is a viable option for you just as it is for many others who want more music at the pool deck and other genres of a nature that suits the individuality of the guest. Trust me, after all these years of scouring these boards and sailing on these ships, the hip hop genre that you are after is not going to be found in concentration on the Celebrity pool deck.:)

We visited several lounges and most of them were a snooze for us. The adults in our group ranged from early forties to early seventies. . . .

DD (14YO), DH (59YO) and me (49YO) also did a Eastern Med this fall. The live music consisted of a string quartet and an acoustical guitarist (in addition to the stuff in the theatre).

We all found the music quite to our tastes -- even the 14YO. It was mello background music that did not interfere with our conversations and/or added to the relaxing atmosphere.

Our dining companions - a couple from Scotland in their 40s and a couple from Canada in their late 30s - both made comments that the live musicians on board really were appropriate to the ambiance.

Busy day in the office, sorry to be brief, I'll make it quick.

Ray you can go back and look at the posts I have made to your topic here and I am sure you will find I did say I found the reivew balanced. At one point I am fairly certain that I was the first to ask what else you were looking for since it seemed that what ever options were put before you were substandard for your tastes. Another poster a bit later on in the thread asked the same question again.

I don't see any comment from you to me about a balanced review unless you signed-in under an alias and you're of those that took the time to say that. If so, thanks again. :)

As for fouling it up for the rest of us, I doubt that those who were insulted by the negative insinuations made about Celebrity cruisers who love naps, including myself, will cease taking them or stop cruising Celebrity to make your cruise atmosphere better. This seemed to me to be your biggest complaint so I doubt you will really want to cruise Celebrity again.

'Fouling it up' was your language, not mine. If you're insulted, appalled, or disagree with folks who post anything negative on a board of critics, then this isn't the forum to be seeking the opinions or suggestions of others.

Celebrity cruisers do not require much external stimulation, and the pool deck music rotates the entertainers on board for a variety of tastes with less time playing so that there is relaxing environment.

An iPod is a viable option for you just as it is for many others who want more music at the pool deck and other genres of a nature that suits the individuality of the guest. Trust me, after all these years of scouring these boards and sailing on these ships, the hip hop genre that you are after is not going to be found in concentration on the Celebrity pool deck.:)

LMAO at 'Celebrity cruisers don't require much external stimulation' and 'hip hop genre that you are after'. You missed the whole point chief. Please spread your sunshine and wealth of abundant knowledge on someone else's thread, you're taking this one in a negative direction.

Hey dylaness, it was only a question, no intent to insult. Pardon the lack of tone inflection, tough to do sometimes on these boards.

They only had a few lectures which were uninteresting to me. I like to be adventurous and open minded but the sessions on Acupuncture, How to combat diabetes and osteoporosis, Rosetta Stone, and file mgmt on digital cameras would've just been torture. I would've gone to a naturalist lecture, I think that would be fascinating.

Agree regarding tone inflection- no offense taken.

I wish I could remember the subject of some of the lectures better--- I think they were under the "celebrity life" heading. (Am I the only one who thinks the underlying concept of CL is good but the implementation along with ideas like "breakfast with the guru" is hokey?)

I wasn't referring to the Rosetta Stone, "how to tone your tummy" et cetera lectures... perhaps at least 4 times there were topics given that were more along the lines of cultural and historical interest (and at which I don't think they were shilling anything as they are in so many other "lectures".) I am surprised they weren't featured on your cruise.

Agree regarding tone inflection- no offense taken.

I wish I could remember the subject of some of the lectures better--- I think they were under the "celebrity life" heading. (Am I the only one who thinks the underlying concept of CL is good but the implementation along with ideas like "breakfast with the guru" is hokey?)

I wasn't referring to the Rosetta Stone, "how to tone your tummy" et cetera lectures... perhaps at least 4 times there were topics given that were more along the lines of cultural and historical interest (and at which I don't think they were shilling anything as they are in so many other "lectures".) I am surprised they weren't featured on your cruise.

"Breakfast with the guru" is a bit hokey, I wouldn't want the job of naming and coordinating such things.

The only historic lecture they had was really an overview of the ports which was really turned in to a sales pitch for the various excursions. I'm sure that an Alaskan cruise would offer better speakers and lectures. BTW, when we do the Alaskan cruise we are going on Celebrity.

You may want to look into Azamara or Oceania for ships of that size, although I doubt you will find the entertainment you are looking for.

Many people are perfectly content to socialize and relax and entertain themselves, they don't need to be entertained to the level that you may require for your overall enjoyment. I think your review was balanced, but I think you missed the myriad of opportunities that are available on board, perhaps because you are not self contained and need more to entertain you than most others. Too bad instead that your found fault with those who were on board content to be doing exactly what they were doing and enjoying it. My father used to say when I complained I was bored go and read a good book.;)

I'm not sure you will find what you are looking for on any line, but its good to keep at it.

The rest speaks for itself. :)

Archived