Solstice 1/31/10 - 2/7/10: What was hot, what was not!

Ray_Ray

To the OP, thanks for writing your review which are always subjective. One thing though, I've never understood this "caters to an older/younger crowd" thing. A cruise is not what the cruise line makes it but what the individual makes it.

Bob

re: 'caters to', look at an RCL ad or brochure THEN look at a Celebrity brochure. They're going after two different markets. That's what most folks are referring to.

Not sure I agree with you on what makes a cruise though. I can't do much with violins and barber shop quartets other than avoid them. But the cruise line could always drop them off at the next port and hire a decent band. :D

I was on that Cruise and totally agree with Ray Ray.

We had late dinner and with the shows before dinner there was not much to do after dinner. Celebrity may "cater to Mature" passengers, but my Dh and our friends that were on the cruise with us are "Mature" passengers but we like more than just sleeping on a lounge chair during the day and enjoy some form of entertainment after dinner. We still like to have fun.

I think Celebrity can achieve a level of fun and still appeal to the "Mature" passenger.

One thing that was not mentiones was the service. Almost every morning in the buffet at breakfast they seemed to run out of coffee cups. At lunch they ran out of the plastic water glasses. That was crazy. There were lines of people waiting for the mugs in the morning.

We had a good time but don't think we'd go back on the Solstice.

I agree with the other posters that the OP will likely have a much better time on another cruiseline that is more high energy.

Pool deck flatlining? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to go swim and relax in the sun, read a book, maybe snooze. I would be extremely annoyed if there were a dance party at the pool every day. I loved that one day when I was out there for several hours they played jazz (real jazz not smooth jazz!), quietly, over the speakers.

I love trivia, and even tried TriBond one day. I wish they offered more organized trivia/game opportunities.

The one night I did go to the Sky Bar late for dancing, it was all hip-hop and so I left after about 15 minutes.

I don't see anything wrong with your goals for having fun on a cruise, but try another line and I think you'll be much happier. My other favorite line is HAL, btw, so you might want to avoid them too. (If you thought X was snooze-a-palooza you would probably slip into a coma on HAL.)

Also, I think very little of these preferences are age related--- I'm not yet thirty.

I anticipated getting flamed on points made regarding lack luster entertainment and activities on the Slostice. Understand that just because someone would have preferred more current music and better activities doesn't mean (as some of you have replied or suggested) that we would have been happier with water slides, family activities, or a 24/7 party barge atmosphere such as Carnival. If someone doesn't like a book or restaurant you suggested do you tell them they would be happier reading Marvel comics or eating at McDonald's?

It would've been nice to have had something to do besides trivia, napkin folding, or sleeping during the daze at sea and have decent entertainment options after dinner at night.

As I said in my previous post, thanks for the balanced review Ray Ray. Celebrity just does not seem to be what you're looking for in a cruise, at least in regard to entertainment & energy level. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. There are many choices out there for everyone. It sounds to me that you had a good time, but it could have been better, that's all. I really am interested in how you enjoyed your Zenith cruise & how it differed from this one.

. I can't do much with violins and barber shop quartets other than avoid them. But the cruise line could always drop them off at the next port and hire a decent band. :D

Ah!! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!:D

For what it's worth, 80s music is new to most old farts!

We are in the late 50's--early 60's demographic & Elite--

X is our preferred line, we adore Soltsice & prefer elegant cruising.....but as I mentioned above, the music on board X lately is awful--for all types of music interests--low budget I think... they need some good pool music, a nice jazz trio like they had on board at the beginning of Solstice & guitar players who can follow a tune... (exception was Jefferson Aug who was very good) Lose the accordion players & out of tune violins. (it was really torture)

You do not have to be a Carinival Party animal to enjoy dancing & music.. we have had wonderful dance, reggae & party bands on X in the past--so hope they get with it!!!!

Would love to hear more about the new(?) concept at Tastings Galleria bar--(previously undertilized for food demos)...

Where is CD Drew???

We also loved Silk Harvest & look forward to trying that on Equinox next January....also glad there may be some lively bands on Summit in the fall!!!

Hey hcat, not sure who CD Drew is.

The Galleria Tastings was one of those areas of the ship that wasn't used much but would attract a good crowd at certain points of the day. We weren't sure what to call it, Galleria Tastings or The Molecular Bar as the menu stated. Either way what they offer are drinks that are made from scratch using fruits, natural juices, sometimes flowers, spices, and a few good belts of alcohol to really make it interesting. Mariana, the bartender, is the only person on Solstice with the necessary skills to make these drinks. She really is good at what she does. There are probably a dozen drinks to choose from. Depending on what you order it takes her 3 - 6 mins to make a single drink.

I didn't have a clue what to order off the menu but she recommended South Of the Rio. I would not have ordered this but I was bored and feeling adventurous. This drink had jalapenos, lime, citrus, with a cucumber - basil foam! Very strange but it was incredible, it tasted like a margarita except it was good. I don't drink margaritas. My wife had a Dragon Fly that was made from raspberries and flower petals. She said it was like a cosmo without a sweet and tart finish.

Next time you're on Solstice be sure to try it out.

As I said in my previous post, thanks for the balanced review Ray Ray. Celebrity just does not seem to be what you're looking for in a cruise, at least in regard to entertainment & energy level. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. There are many choices out there for everyone. It sounds to me that you had a good time, but it could have been better, that's all. I really am interested in how you enjoyed your Zenith cruise & how it differed from this one.

Hi Rich, I meant to reply earlier. We had a great time on the Zenith. It was actually the funnest cruise I've been on. Unlike Solstice, the Zenith cruise director kept things moving right along at a good pace at different venues throughout the ship the entire week. The food was great in the Zenith MDR, on Solstice the MDR was ok (not bad, but I can't classify it as good). The average age of the Zenith pax was mid 40s to mid 50s. On Solstice the average age was probably 70 - 75 (I'm probably going to get flamed for saying that...LOL). Although the number of pax on Zenith was smaller than Solstice, each had plenty of open spaces and I never felt crowded. I would prefer to go on ships more like the size of Zenith which was about 2000 pax. We really enjoyed our Zenith cruise.

Although the number of pax on Zenith was smaller than Solstice, each had plenty of open spaces and I never felt crowded. I would prefer to go on ships more like the size of Zenith which was about 2000 pax. We really enjoyed our Zenith cruise.

You may want to look into Azamara or Oceania for ships of that size, although I doubt you will find the entertainment you are looking for.

Many people are perfectly content to socialize and relax and entertain themselves, they don't need to be entertained to the level that you may require for your overall enjoyment. I think your review was balanced, but I think you missed the myriad of opportunities that are available on board, perhaps because you are not self contained and need more to entertain you than most others. Too bad instead that your found fault with those who were on board content to be doing exactly what they were doing and enjoying it. My father used to say when I complained I was bored go and read a good book.;)

I'm not sure you will find what you are looking for on any line, but its good to keep at it.

Thanks for the review,

My wife and I are age 32 and both extremly outgoing and enjpy hip bars and restaurants in Toronto and everywhere we travel. I know entertainment can be hard to please everyone, but we have found that Celebrity may not be the most active but that can be a good thing. We Love RCCL also but can find them over the top with bands and noise and activities, We prefer Celebrity for all the things we cant seem to get on RCCL still. Celebrity as most have said is known for all the tings you gave her high remarks in! and atleast some of the activites were good.

We head back onto the Solstice in a few weeks and are hoping to get a good DJ or demand some good tunes with our group of 75 going!

Thanks again for the review!

Hey Ray,

Liked the format in which you did your review. Always looking for that type of review.

My partner and I are in our 40's and like to do fun stuff and listen to contemporary music whether it is top 20, dance, electronic etc....I get what you are saying. In regards to "older demographic" I did not take that you were putting down older people, rather saying that there are different interests in different age groups.

with that said, I am booked on a 10 day Equinox in April and I am a bit nervous about the snooza-palooza factor.

You keep referring to your experience on Zenith, which was 8 yrs. ago. There have been a lot of changes in the cruise industry since then so I'm not sure you could replicate that experience now, on X or elsewhere.

good point, including the onboard prices! ;)

You keep referring to your experience on Zenith, which was 8 yrs. ago. There have been a lot of changes in the cruise industry since then so I'm not sure you could replicate that experience now, on X or elsewhere.

Actually I only referred to Zenith in one response here because someone on this thread asked (twice) how it compared to Solstice.

Hey Ray,

Liked the format in which you did your review. Always looking for that type of review.

My partner and I are in our 40's and like to do fun stuff and listen to contemporary music whether it is top 20, dance, electronic etc....I get what you are saying. In regards to "older demographic" I did not take that you were putting down older people, rather saying that there are different interests in different age groups.

with that said, I am booked on a 10 day Equinox in April and I am a bit nervous about the snooza-palooza factor.

Try to get recent copies of the daily sheet 'Celebrity Today'. It will detail everything they're doing for the day and what the evening has scheduled.

FYI

solstice just took best mega ship on conde Nast !!

I'll continue to pay for service rather then entertainment, if you Want that the sail on the Oasis that was the best thing that rccl has going for that ship, but them again if I had to endure the Platters once more on an rccl ship I would jab my eye balls out. Entertainment can vary ship by ship on any line and contract to contract.

FYI

solstice just took best mega ship on conde Nast !!

I'll continue to pay for service rather then entertainment, if you Want that the sail on the Oasis that was the best thing that rccl has going for that ship, but them again if I had to endure the Platters once more on an rccl ship I would jab my eye balls out. Entertainment can vary ship by ship on any line and contract to contract.

Good for Solstice, they should be proud. LOL @ The Platters. Thanks but I'll pass on the Oasis.

Good for Solstice, they should be proud. LOL @ The Platters. Thanks but I'll pass on the Oasis.

I'll pass on the Oasis too. I started off with RCCL on the Sovereign's inaugural season and, later, absolutely loved the Vision class of ships, especially the Rhapsody of the Seas. They were so bright and open. You could see the ocean from just about anywhere on the ship.

Then we tried the Voyager of the Seas and felt like we were trapped in a sea-going Hyatt hotel. That center 'mall" or whatever they call it. was just plain weird...no natural light. We made the mistake of booking a cabin that looked out into that area. The only place I could see the ocean was on the top deck.

Later we took the the Infinity to Alaska and fell in love with that ship for the same reasons we loved the Rhapsody. Again, so open, so bright! So, I'll pass on the Oasis. We've got the Equinox booked this November, and I can't wait!!

The one night I did go to the Sky Bar late for dancing, it was all hip-hop and so I left after about 15 minutes.

Were you on this cruise last week? Do you know what hip-hop is? This bar never played hip-hop unless they played it after 50's or 60's trivia (which is when we weren't in Sky) and I doubt they would do that.

How right you are!!!The Zenith was one of our favorite ships in every way. Miss it, but size alone makes it impossible to compare it to todays ships.

Ray-Ray I won't flame you for saying the average age was 70 to 75 (although I disagree) because I have graduated out of that group, I am 81.

Galleria Tastings or The Molecular Bar as the menu stated. Either way what they offer are drinks that are made from scratch using fruits, natural juices, sometimes flowers, spices, and a few good belts of alcohol to really make it interesting. Mariana, the bartender, is the only person on Solstice with the necessary skills to make these drinks. She really is good at what she does. There are probably a dozen drinks to choose from. Depending on what you order it takes her 3 - 6 mins to make a single drink.

This drink had jalapenos, lime, citrus, with a cucumber - basil foam! Very strange but it was incredible, it tasted like a margarita except it was good. I don't drink margaritas. My wife had a Dragon Fly that was made from raspberries and flower petals. She said it was like a cosmo without a sweet and tart finish.

Thank you for posting this. We have an area restaurant that does a huge variety of drinks like this using organic and locally grown ingredients.

As I sit here during the Baltimore Blizzard Number 2, I'm thinking maybe we should trek to the establishment and fantasize sailing on Solstice, but it would take us a week to get there. :D

We have Baltimore friends who picked up the Solstice yesterday in San Juan and I sure hope, but I'm pretty sure, they would have discovered the Molecular Bar. :D

Sorry for the ot, but thanks for the temporary escape. ;)

Would agree with Ray from the standpoint that reggae or steel drum bands in place of doo-wap are a better idea.

Island music appeals to people of all ages (for the most part) and is generally enjoyable.

Actually there WAS island music played at the pool.

Archived