Magic Transatlantic?

luvs2beachit

Unlike Splendor, neither Dream nor Magic have a covered pool area and it got chilly well before Cape Horn. The new Panama Canal locks won't open for years.

I don't for a minute think Magic (or Dream) will be plying the Pacific anytime in the next ten years so from my perspective it's a moot point. (but one I agree with)

I don't for a minute think Magic (or Dream) will be plying the Pacific anytime in the next ten years so from my perspective it's a moot point. (but one I agree with)

You have a better chance at winning power ball than having Carnival place another new ship on the west coast.:D

I'm thinking the Magic will start doing 10 day 'Southern Caribbean' from MIA or FLL.. :) There is a lot of interest in the 'southern', but a lot of people don't enjoy the port intensive sailing from San Juan! :o

My $$ is on the 'new' limited route being initiated on the Miracle... Southern Caribbean..!!! :D Goin' back to Aruba... ;)

I'm thinking the Magic will start doing 10 day 'Southern Caribbean' from MIA or FLL.. :) There is a lot of interest in the 'southern', but a lot of people don't enjoy the port intensive sailing from San Juan! :o

My $$ is on the 'new' limited route being initiated on the Miracle... Southern Caribbean..!!! :D Goin' back to Aruba... ;)

That's a bold prediction. Carnival has never scheduled any ship for a series of regular Caribbean itineraries longer than eight days. If they were to do so it would be groundbreaking for the line.

If as an example you mean a cruise that starts in New York, visits the Bahamas and ends in a Florida city. say Miami?

Such itineraries are a violation of the PVSA and no line offers them ever. Ships may sail empty from new York to Miami, but they do not offer repo cruises with passengers on board.

Princess offered last year and again is offering this year an 8-night sailing from NYC to San Juan (not Bahamas), but itinerary doesn't go anywhere near South America.

They and other lines do round-trip NYC sailing that go to the Bahamas and/or Bermuda as their foreign port of call.

Princess offered last year and again is offering this year an 8-night sailing from NYC to San Juan (not Bahamas), but itinerary doesn't go anywhere near South America.

They and other lines do round-trip NYC sailing that go to the Bahamas and/or Bermuda as their foreign port of call.

Well that's a horse of a different color! :D

The cruise ended in San Juan. The PVSA allows foreign flagged carriers to offer one way cruises between the mainland USA and Puerto Rico as long as no American flagged carrier is offering the service. Since there are no American flagged carriers this exemption will probably last as long as the PVSA. It still isn't much help for repo cruises however. Since a ship must sail one way to San Juan it must sail a second itinerary one way from San Juan, essentially a two-week repositioning cycle. A single itinerary stopping in Aruba could do it faster.

Now a shorter itinerary could sail from the mainland to Puerto Rico; say New York with a stop in Burmuda could be a five day sailing. Unfortunately the cruise line wouldn't be allowed to offer back to back sailings as the Alaska to Hawaii problem the Spirit faces illustrates. I think it would be difficult to fill a five day one-way cruise to Puerto Rico.

Well that's a horse of a different color! :D

The cruise ended in San Juan. The PVSA allows foreign flagged carriers to offer one way cruises between the mainland USA and Puerto Rico as long as no American flagged carrier is offering the service. Since there are no American flagged carriers this exemption will probably last as long as the PVSA. It still isn't much help for repo cruises however. Since a ship must sail one way to San Juan it must sail a second itinerary one way from San Juan, essentially a two-week repositioning cycle. A single itinerary stopping in Aruba could do it faster.

Now a shorter itinerary could sail from the mainland to Puerto Rico; say New York with a stop in Burmuda could be a five day sailing. Unfortunately the cruise line wouldn't be allowed to offer back to back sailings as the Alaska to Hawaii problem the Spirit faces illustrates. I think it would be difficult to fill a five day one-way cruise to Puerto Rico.

Bermuda would be tough,and the only place the Magic would fit would be at King's wharf. Much better chance of getting a smaller (Spirit size) ship in Bermuda (and less costly from a fuel perspective, which would be a factor in Carnival's potential decision).

What if the homeport is on the US west coast? What route would she take? Can she fit through the Suez? It would be neat to fly to Europe and then visit ports in the Med, Middle East, India, Asia, and maybe Austrailia before hopping over the the US, with a stopover in Honolulu on the way.

How does that sound?

Carnival recently sent the Carnival Splendor to Los Angeles. Carnival is pulling the Elation out of San Diego. Given this, it is doubtful that Carnival would send the Magic to the west coast.

Bermuda would be tough,and the only place the Magic would fit would be at King's wharf. Much better chance of getting a smaller (Spirit size) ship in Bermuda (and less costly from a fuel perspective, which would be a factor in Carnival's potential decision).

Bermuda isn't tough for the larger RCI Explorer of the Seas which makes regular calls.

Bermuda isn't tough for the larger RCI Explorer of the Seas which makes regular calls.

Your right, it is more an issue of getting the dock space (contractual). But since RCI (big ship) is already in there, past history tells us that they have concerns about the number of people from cruise ships wandering around their island. I think it would be part of the decision process whether it was 2,200 people (Spirit class) or 4,600 Magic.

Your right, it is more an issue of getting the dock space (contractual). But since RCI (big ship) is already in there, past history tells us that they have concerns about the number of people from cruise ships wandering around their island. I think it would be part of the decision process whether it was 2,200 people (Spirit class) or 4,600 Magic.

You do realize Carnival Dream, the Sister ship to Magic, made a stop in Bermuda on her TA cruise which ended in NYC last Nov.

We are sailing on the Grand Princess from FLL to Southampton UK, via Bermuda, this April on an eastbound TA! :p

That is very nice. However, the topic for this thread is the Carnival Magic, not the Grand Princess.

John Heald just wrote this as a reply to someones question regarding a TA and US Homeport for the Magic:

In the coming weeks we will be announcing the trans-Atlantic cruise information which will coincide with details on her North American home port.

That is very nice. However, the topic for this thread is the Carnival Magic, not the Grand Princess.
However, it blows away the myth that Carnival Magic can't do the TA or repo with stopping in a foreign port...:)

Just making a point; Not thread-jacking, Sir.. ;) Same company, same rules...

However, it blows away the myth that Carnival Magic can't do the TA or repo with stopping in a foreign port...:)

It is only an issue when a foreign flagged ship embarks passengers at one US port and disembarks them in a different US port. Southampton isn't in the US. :p.

For a foreign flagged ship that embarks and disembarks in the same US port, there is no distant foreign port requirement.

Any foreign ship on any cruise involving a US port, whether it be the embarkation port, the debarkation port, an in-transit port, any combination of the two, or all three, MUST stop at at least one foreign port. The only exception would be a CTN (cruise to nowhere). Now that foreign port might be the origination port (for example a cruise from Vancouver to Seattle). But all the foreign ships have to stop at at least one foreign port (again, except for a CTN)

All of the Carnival (and Princess) ships are foreign ships (registered outside of the US). Therefore, the ship will stop at one foreign port before ending its cruise in the US. Since it is coming from Europe, the origination port is a foreign port.

I was not accusing you of thread high-jacking. I just didn't see the point to your post - and I still don't, given the PVSA.

Any foreign ship on any cruise involving a US port, whether it be the embarkation port, the debarkation port, an in-transit port, any combination of the two, or all three, MUST stop at at least one foreign port. The only exception would be a CTN (cruise to nowhere). Now that foreign port might be the origination port (for example a cruise from Vancouver to Seattle). But all the foreign ships have to stop at at least one foreign port (again, except for a CTN)

Our first Carnival Cruise called on no foreign ports. We sailed from Miami to San Juan, St. Croix and St. Thomas, then back to Miami, all American ports.

Our first Carnival Cruise called on no foreign ports. We sailed from Miami to San Juan, St. Croix and St. Thomas, then back to Miami, all American ports.

Oops, you discovered the other exception in the PVSA. US territories are treated as foreign ports by the PVSA, yet they are US ports. :o

I was not accusing you of thread high-jacking. I just didn't see the point to your post - and I still don't, given the PVSA.
If I could I would retract my post, as it was in error, to a point! Someone had posted that a repo could not be done from NYC to the Magic's new homeport, without going to South America, or some 'foreign' port.. :eek: And NO, the Magic won't be going to the West Coast..

My point was that they can, with a stop in Bermuda...:) Or am I wrong again!!?? :o

After John Heald post his thoughts in a week or two, this thread will all be for naught! ;) Lets not argue; it's almost Valentine's Day.. XXXX

Oops, you discovered the other exception in the PVSA. US territories are treated as foreign ports by the PVSA, yet they are US ports. :o

I didn't discover anything. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It was what lead into the discussion that involved Bermuda. You know, the one that you were so indignant about.

If I could I would retract my post, as it was in error, to a point! Someone had posted that a repo could not be done from NYC to the Magic's new homeport, without going to South America, or some 'foreign' port.. :eek: And NO, the Magic won't be going to the West Coast..

My point was that they can, with a stop in Bermuda...:) Or am I wrong again!!?? :o

After John Heald post his thoughts in a week or two, this thread will all be for naught! ;) Lets not argue; it's almost Valentine's Day.. XXXX

They can stop in Bermuda, but that alone won't allow a repo. Please go back and re-read the thread.

Archived