Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami

CRUISEMAMMA

it's about 35 minutes are so.

You could also look into a transportation service. My wife and i are flying into FLL for our cruise, and we are using SAS transportation to get from FLL to port of Miami. Only charging us 18$ pp. 36 bucks isn't to bad.

I've made that drive 100s of times and it has NEVER taken me less than 45 minutes and that was on a late Saturday night with little traffic.

It will take you 45-60 minutes with normal traffic. Heading south on a weekday morning add a few minutes to that time.

If there is an accident on I-95 prepare for a parking lot.

If you have the time, I prefer A1A just because it is much more pleasant. Take A1A to Fifth Street in South Beach and head over the MacArthur Causeway and follow the signs for the port.

They picked us at our FLL area hotel at 10:28 for a requested 10:30 pick up. We were on the ship in POM before 11:30, so I can't imagine it took more than 30 minutes on the road.

They returned us to an FLL area hotel when our return flight was canceled at no extra charge. We paid $15/person each way (party of 2). We thought their service was A+.

• 1 month later...

I too am looking for transportation from FL hotel to POM. We are thinking about booking a cruise in Sept '10 but trying to get the cost figured out first. I noticed that the comfort inn in FL has a free airport shuttle and a free shuttle to POM (or it is included int eh price) my only worries with a hotel shuttle is that it will fill fast and we will be on the boat late. I would prefer something reasonably priced but nice, this will be our honeymoon trip and I would like to have something nice. Also, I am not sure what hotel we will stay at in the FLL area, any good suggestions there?

I appreciate the help!

I too am looking for transportation from FL hotel to POM. We are thinking about booking a cruise in Sept '10 but trying to get the cost figured out first. I noticed that the comfort inn in FL has a free airport shuttle and a free shuttle to POM (or it is included int eh price) my only worries with a hotel shuttle is that it will fill fast and we will be on the boat late. I would prefer something reasonably priced but nice, this will be our honeymoon trip and I would like to have something nice. Also, I am not sure what hotel we will stay at in the FLL area, any good suggestions there?

I appreciate the help!

Comfort Suites may have an airport to hotel and reverse shuttle plus a shuttle to Port Everglades, but I would definetly make another call to verify it will shuttle you all the way to Miami. That is highly unusual. Make sure you are specific with the Port name.

That's like the Hilton garden inn telling guests they can walk to the Port Everglades. Sure you can but then where is your ship docked? It could be another half hour walk with luggage from the entrance...not a mistake you want to make for a $10 taxi ride.

Thanks Nana,

That deal with Comfort is posted on their site as a package:

http://www.secure-res.com/res/vn3/hchgs.aspx?hotelid=2932&roomid=13966&checkindate=9/26/2010&nights=1&rooms=1&trr=3FFFFFD99A4633&adults=2&children=0&packageid=104398&culture=1&culturename=en-US&site=MIAMI&wtpid=1

I am not too interested in it, but it sounds like a great deal. I am not sure if it is worth the hassel that a hotel shuttle typically brings, but I also dont want to shell out $100 for a taxi. Have you ever made the trip between FL Hotels and POM? FL is cheaper for flights and hotels so we are looking for the most reliable way to get to the port on time and safely.

I appreciate the feedback.

I appreciate the help!

Hotel shuttles are not usually worth the time and the hassle.

Book your own transportation and pick your hotel using other criteria.

I've made that drive 100s of times and it has NEVER taken me less than 45 minutes and that was on a late Saturday night with little traffic.

It will take you 45-60 minutes with normal traffic. Heading south on a weekday morning add a few minutes to that time.

If there is an accident on I-95 prepare for a parking lot.

If you have the time, I prefer A1A just because it is much more pleasant. Take A1A to Fifth Street in South Beach and head over the MacArthur Causeway and follow the signs for the port.

Blue Herons, how much time does this route add? We are actually going from FLL airport to a hotel near Miami airport to meet up with friends pre cruise. We will be arriving in FLL at 9:30 AM and will not be in a big hurry. This route sounds like we will see more and maybe be able to make some stops.

Hotel shuttles are not usually worth the time and the hassle.

Book your own transportation and pick your hotel using other criteria.

Thanks Blue,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have heard some stories about large groups eating up the shuttles which makes everyone else rush that is trying to get the shuttle over. Have you used anyone from a FL Hotel to the POM? I have heard good things about SAS and I believe Quality Limo, but there are just two of us and SAS is listed as $15/person, but i am not sure that we will get that rate since it is just two of us. I wouldn't mind finding a nice hotel for a good price and a middle priced car service. would like to stay under $150 for both hotel and car service, anyone have any ideas or experiences? The hotel will mainly be for a nights sleep as our flight probably won't arrive until 9pm or later.

I appreciate any insight, thanks guys!

Blue Herons, how much time does this route add? We are actually going from FLL airport to a hotel near Miami airport to meet up with friends pre cruise. We will be arriving in FLL at 9:30 AM and will not be in a big hurry. This route sounds like we will see more and maybe be able to make some stops.

If you are heading to the hotel, going A1A will be out of your way but it is still a much more pleasant trip. I'd say it will take you 45 minutes minimum.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have heard some stories about large groups eating up the shuttles which makes everyone else rush that is trying to get the shuttle over. Have you used anyone from a FL Hotel to the POM? I have heard good things about SAS and I believe Quality Limo, but there are just two of us and SAS is listed as $15/person, but i am not sure that we will get that rate since it is just two of us. I wouldn't mind finding a nice hotel for a good price and a middle priced car service. would like to stay under $150 for both hotel and car service, anyone have any ideas or experiences? The hotel will mainly be for a nights sleep as our flight probably won't arrive until 9pm or later

AJ, I've been fortunate that I've never had to use a shuttle service but SAS seems to have an excellent reputation. What are your dates for your cruise? In off season $150 is perfectly reasonable but during peak you may want to up your budget so you don't end up with the roach motel.

Personally, I'd head to Miami as soon as I arrived in FLL to get it over with then just cab it to the port the next morning.

AJ, I've been fortunate that I've never had to use a shuttle service but SAS seems to have an excellent reputation. What are your dates for your cruise? In off season $150 is perfectly reasonable but during peak you may want to up your budget so you don't end up with the roach motel.

Personally, I'd head to Miami as soon as I arrived in FLL to get it over with then just cab it to the port the next morning.

I heard back from SAS they still said $15/pp from an FL hotel to POM. We are thinking about going in Sept '10. I heard that the hotels are cheaper in FL than MIA and we won't be arriving til 10 pm or so the night before into FLL. I am just looking for a decent place that isn't going to break the bank and preferably has a liquor store near by. So as of now, i am seeking the help of the experienced cruisers out of Florida to aide me in any way. I appreciate the help, you definitely got my mind working now! What does a cab cost from a MIA hotel to POM, like $25-30?

I heard back from SAS they still said $15/pp from an FL hotel to POM. We are thinking about going in Sept '10. I heard that the hotels are cheaper in FL than MIA and we won't be arriving til 10 pm or so the night before into FLL. I am just looking for a decent place that isn't going to break the bank and preferably has a liquor store near by. So as of now, i am seeking the help of the experienced cruisers out of Florida to aide me in any way. I appreciate the help, you definitely got my mind working now! What does a cab cost from a MIA hotel to POM, like $25-30?

Probably around $25.

I have not found hotels in Fort Lauderdale to be any less expensive than Miami hotels not including South Beach.

This is the deal with me, and it is my own personal weirdness but I would want to go ahead and get to Miami that night.

I'm never ready to go right to sleep after a flight so I'd lay awake staring at the ceiling. Then I'd start worrying about the shuttle and was I going to make it to the ship on time etc.

I'd try and get the Intercontinental or Marriott downtown off www.LastMinuteTravel.com, www.Hotwire.com, www.Priceline.com, or some other discount site.

Bayside will still be open.

Thanks Blue,

I will look into it, seems like it may be more costly from a transportation stand point with trying to get to Miami and then from the hotel to the port. I will continue to look at this, I appreciate the help! I have looked at some different hotels, not on hotwire or priceline and they were in $200/night range, which for only a few hours in the room, I am not going to spend that much. Plus I do not like getting locked in with bids and what not. I tried the lastminute site, but I don't like how I can't see what hotel they are for. Oh well, i will keep on keeping on. Let me know if you have any other insight, i really appreciate it!

Now that my mind started turning more and more, my fiance stayed at the Holiday Inn near POM and we are thinking about staying there the night before. We started looking at more flights, trying to get in a little earlier so we can enjoy some fun and sun. We have come down to two options:

1) Rent a car at FLL and drive to the hotel. Then return the car in the AM and have them give us a ride back to the port.....

2) Reserve a ride through a car service to the Holiday Inn at POM and not have to worry about paying for parking or returning the car.

Any thoughts on either of these? I know that Car services can be costly but I have found shared rides for under $50 including gratuity. We can get a deal on a rental through a family member for under $50, I am not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of having to return the car the next morning. Anyone have experience with either of these?

HI all...BlueHeron you certainly have offerred good advice re: Florida on the Florida threads. We are arriving on a red eye from Long Beach before 6:00am on day of cruise..(I mentioned this on another thread)....We are going to take your advice and drive along A1A with a stop for breakfast along the way..see the sites before dropping luggage off at port and then dropping rental car(Hertz) off and taking shuttle back to ship. I'd like to see as much of Miami coast before we get on the ship for our transatlantic....Thanks all for information..Cruisy Susy

AJ Pitches, we are in the same boat as you, no pun intended. We are also flying into FLL, staying at the Galery One Doubletree for 2 nights and then heading up to Miami for one night, also staying the the Holiday Inn POM. We too are also figuring out to take SAS up or renting a car. I think we may rent a car. Probably Hertz since my nephew works for Hertz and can get us deal or even just book through AAA and get a great price. We have 2 small children, so the car route may be less stressful but then again, to get a good deal on a rental we need a smaller car and my not fit all of our luggage.

We just did this. Flew into FLL and took Quality Limo from FLL to our MIA hotel (JW Marriott-got on priceline for $123) then took a taxi to the port the next day (taxi was about $12 plus tip). Took Quality Limo from POM back to FLL the day we docked back. I've also heard good things about the Holiday Inn by Bayside (and it is even closer to the port so taxi may be less) I would HIGHLY recommend Quality Limo. There was a mix up (my fault--I neglected to read where I needed to call with my CC info, thought I had already given it) so when we landed at FLL, no driver, called and found out problem they called the dispatch and was able to get us a driver w/in about 25 mins. Very helpful, kind and reasonable (was $16 per person for 4)

HI all...BlueHeron you certainly have offerred good advice re: Florida on the Florida threads. We are arriving on a red eye from Long Beach before 6:00am on day of cruise..(I mentioned this on another thread)....We are going to take your advice and drive along A1A with a stop for breakfast along the way..see the sites before dropping luggage off at port and then dropping rental car(Hertz) off and taking shuttle back to ship. I'd like to see as much of Miami coast before we get on the ship for our transatlantic....Thanks all for information..Cruisy Susy

we have lots of time to kill before our flight leaves FLL after our cruise

im torn between paying more for earlier flight/towncar or shuttle or a drive up A1A. We'll have already been in SoBe area 2 days pre-cruise for some sightseeing

Know that free parking is practically non-existent in SoBe, was wondering what's worthwhile to linger over during the drive up the coast & whether there would be parking available...was thinking boardwalk in hollywood maybe. :confused:

Archived