Walking the Plank

filmbufs

We will be traveling with my mom and grandma, likely on a western carib cruise (yet to be determined.) I've noticed some pictures (is this the conquest?) that show the ship docked at a port and a very long pier leading to the beach or town or whatever.

My question is how long are these walks and will they be okay for a grandma who is almost 90 but in very good shape, considering. She can walk fairly well, sometimes with the help of a cane for balance but I gotta believe she will get tired easily. Is she going to be okay or is it going to be one slow walk into paradise?

Maybe this picture will illustrate my concerns:

conquestport.jpg

We will be traveling with my mom and grandma, likely on a western carib cruise (yet to be determined.) I've noticed some pictures (is this the conquest?) that show the ship docked at a port and a very long pier leading to the beach or town or whatever.

My question is how long are these walks and will they be okay for a grandma who is almost 90 but in very good shape, considering. She can walk fairly well, sometimes with the help of a cane for balance but I gotta believe she will get tired easily. Is she going to be okay or is it going to be one slow walk into paradise?

Maybe this picture will illustrate my concerns:

conquestport.jpg

It varies according to which port you are visiting. Some ports the ship ports against the dock so the walk is short to non-existant and some there is a long walk as pictured in your post. Examples: Key West, St Thomas, Tortola and Antigua were short walks. Ocho Rios and St Martin were long walks (Note: St Martin was a short walk to meet excursions, long walk to town).

While somtimes the piers are long, your grandma sounds in fine shape....she doesn't have to run, she can take her time. Yeah, it may be slower going than you're used to...but, that's how it is! It's quite likely that grandma will decline "excursions" in favor of using the ship for the day.

Have her get some good, suportive walking shoes. No one will worry about style, just get the most comfortable.:)

Surfaces will vary from smooth asphalt to missing cobblestones, so she should awlways take her cane when leaving the ship. On the last 3 cruises I didn't use my cane on board but was very glad I had it at at least one port.:cool:

If you will post which ports you are going to we can give you a better idea.

For instance in Costa Maya the pier is long, but they have a trolly that runs the length of the pier and it only costs the price of a tip. My mom used that to get to the pier and then we took the bus into town.

Have fun and just plan on frequent rests and she will be fine! Can't remember a single port where there was a prize for being first off the ship!:)

In Cozumel at the LONG pier there are men on bikes with a 'carriage' behind them to pull two people. We asked how much and were told just for tips.

In Costa Maya they have a free tram pulled by a golf cart.

In Belize and Grand Cayman you tender is so there's no pier to walk on.

You can also 'rent' a wheel chair fron the cruise line. If you get it when you embark, she won't have to stand waiting to check in and I think is taken to the VIP check in. She can then use it whenever she wants or feels like it and take it on tenders.

Awesome! You all are the best. Thanks for all the advice and listing a few ports and your experience with them. Bikes, pedicabs, wheel chairs, good walking shoes and short walks are good things to know about in case she gets concerned. Thanks for the advice about letting off others first. Good idea.

We are still unsure of which cruise / itinerary we will be taking but we're getting closer in narrowing it down. My Grandma is in decent shape but also, ahem, a little vain when it comes time for canes, walkers and chairs. Silly rabbit. We'll definitely take it slower and I'm sure she'll use good judgment on which ports to visit.

Thanks again!

Archived