TravelGuard Insurance vs Princess Insurance

mikjr

I also started comparing travel insurance policies. We are a family of 4 between the ages of 14 and 49. The problem I have with Princess is that it seems they charge a flat rate and don’t take age into consideration. I am not Platinum yet and It cost more for me to purchase the basic Princess insurance than it does to purchase a plan through a travel insurance company. I am more concerned with trip cancellation. I book my own air transportation. For my situation it seems that I am better off using a travel insurance company.

Next trip my wife and I will be Platinum. If I decide to purchase the Princess insurance will my children also receive the Platinum upgrade plan or will they only be entitled to the basic plan? I should add that my son will be 18 on the next trip and it will only be his 4th sailing.

We adhere to the TG requirements for waiving pre-existing conditions in the first place. We pay the insurance premium within 14 days after the first payment of ANY money to anybody concerned with the cruise, if that is what TG asks for. So in some cases we pay that premium long before the cruise. We want the waiver and don't want to get involved in any definition of pre-existing condition.

With the pre-existing clause there always seems to be a 'look back' time. In other words, the condition could not have developed or a present condition changed in a certain amount of time before you got the policy (sometimes 60-90 or 120 days prior). So in other words, the pre-existing clause on most policys does not cover all pre-existing conditions.

TG has no lookback, as long as you purchase the policy within 14 days of making your first trip deposit, and as long as you insure the entire cost of the trip. (So, if you book your air months after you book the cruise, you will need to call TG and have the air added to the policy.)

I've compared the two, and found the TG policy to be much better. The Princess evac coverage is a joke. ($25-$50k isn't going to evac you anywhere...) The TG Trip Delay coverage is also much better, as $500 doesn't get you very far if you need to book new plane tickets to catch up with your cruise. (TG slots the plane tickets under Trip Interruption, which has a far higher policy max.) And all this is on top of the much better pre-ex waiver you can get with TG.

I've filed more than one claim with TG (have my fourth pending now, out eight purchased policies... I guess I have bad luck) and have never found them to be anything less than professional and courteous.

SirWired

Wouldn't it have been easier to just ask for a different date? Jury duty date is not etched in stone. It is changeable.

Yes, it is changeable. BUT - you once again have no idea when that summons will hit your mailbox. They do not exactly ask you what date is convenient for you! Had the date hit during the cruise, yes we would have made a request. We actually would have preferred to come home on Sunday - but as I said, we opted to fly on Monday to save money. So, we got the Sunday flight that we actually wanted - the insurance paid for the increased airfare, and now I do not have to worry about being called again for at least 3 years.

My point was simply that cruise insurance would not have covered changes in the flights since we booked our own airfare. Travel Guard covered us from the time we left the house to the time we arrived back at the house.

TG has no lookback, as long as you purchase the policy within 14 days of making your first trip deposit, and as long as you insure the entire cost of the trip. (So, if you book your air months after you book the cruise, you will need to call TG and have the air added to the policy.)

I've compared the two, and found the TG policy to be much better. The Princess evac coverage is a joke. ($25-$50k isn't going to evac you anywhere...) The TG Trip Delay coverage is also much better, as $500 doesn't get you very far if you need to book new plane tickets to catch up with your cruise. (TG slots the plane tickets under Trip Interruption, which has a far higher policy max.) And all this is on top of the much better pre-ex waiver you can get with TG.

I've filed more than one claim with TG (have my fourth pending now, out eight purchased policies... I guess I have bad luck) and have never found them to be anything less than professional and courteous.

SirWired

I totally agree - I have found TG to be much more comprehensive, no look back period and have much higher limits than Princess' Platinum Travel Care. It is the one insurance I will use, especially when cruising out of the US.

Just to throw out another option - my agent sells Access America and they also have some great plans and I have had luck filing a claim with them over a cancelled cruise.

There are probably hundreds of policies they have so make sure you look carefully at any plan you decide to buy. The policy my agent sells allows us to cover pre-existing conditions when bought at final payment which is a big bonus for me.

I am also interested in insuring the whole trip (flights, hotels I book on my own along with the cruise) which Princess insurance doesn't do.

We always use Travel Guard and get it at Insuremytrip.com. It's cheaper and much better coverage. The medical coverage is primary so you don't have to file with your personal health insurance first. That's what I like about it. Plus with elderly parent, aged 88, if something happens they would reimburse us.

Check out Insuremytrip.com and compare the coverages. Much better than the cruise line insurance.

We always use Travel Guard and get it at Insuremytrip.com. It's cheaper and much better coverage. The medical coverage is primary so you don't have to file with your personal health insurance first. That's what I like about it. Plus with elderly parent, aged 88, if something happens they would reimburse us.

Check out Insuremytrip.com and compare the coverages. Much better than the cruise line insurance.

But is the elderly parent travelling with you? What would you be paying for insurance if this were the case? Most passengers staying with Princess insurance have "aged out" of Travelguard and the others, whereas Princess is not age oriented.

My wife and I are both under 30 and decided not to purchase insurance this time around. However, just a few days after booking our cruise (which required full payment), my wife's grandmother started taking a turn for the worse. She's always been very healthy, even at 87. I called American Express (I booked through the Princess website, but paid with AmEx), and purchased insurance for the cost of the airfare and cruise for about $150 for both of us. We can cancel and get a refund up until the day before the cruise. It covers 100% of the trip cost, comprehensive medical, delays, etc. I think it was a smart choice.

Very inmt erested in these replies Is the price for TG much more or similar to Princess?:);)

It really depends. Princess coverage, while far less comprehensive, is not priced by the age of the traveler. Most 3rd party insurance is.

It's kind of hard to compare prices directly since the coverage is different. There are two parts of the coverage price for 3rd-party coverage. The medical part is priced based on the age of the traveller. The Interruption/Cancellation part is based on the cost of the trip, along with the time of year and location the trip is being taken. (i.e. Caribbean cruise coverage costs more during hurricane season.)

Princess is flat-rate, based on the total price of the booking.

I think for most people, if you could find a 3rd party policy with similar coverages to Princess, would find that the 3rd party policy would be cheaper.

For those considering booking Princess coverage because 3rd party costs too much at their age, make sure you fully understand the pre-existing condition policies of the Princess coverage before purchasing. It could possibly exclude a great deal of claims. With 3rd party coverage, the possibility of a pre-ex merely raises the rates (assuming you meet the conditions for a pre-ex waiver); with Princess coverage, it excludes your claim entirely, leaving you out of pocket.

SirWired

We went with TG for a couple of reasons....

1) our 13 year old was insured for free, so even though the cost pp was more for my husband and I, it still ended up being less overall

2) most importantly, as a active duty servicemember I never know if I may be called to go to the 'tip of the spear'. With Princess, I would not be entitled to compensation if military orders dictate I miss the sailing

But is the elderly parent travelling with you? What would you be paying for insurance if this were the case? Most passengers staying with Princess insurance have "aged out" of Travelguard and the others, whereas Princess is not age oriented.

My mother would not be traveling with us. I meant if something happened to her and we could not go at the last minute then we would be reimbursed.

:):):)

It really depends. Princess coverage, while far less comprehensive, is not priced by the age of the traveler. Most 3rd party insurance is.

It's kind of hard to compare prices directly since the coverage is different. There are two parts of the coverage price for 3rd-party coverage. The medical part is priced based on the age of the traveller. The Interruption/Cancellation part is based on the cost of the trip, along with the time of year and location the trip is being taken. (i.e. Caribbean cruise coverage costs more during hurricane season.)

Princess is flat-rate, based on the total price of the booking.

I think for most people, if you could find a 3rd party policy with similar coverages to Princess, would find that the 3rd party policy would be cheaper.

For those considering booking Princess coverage because 3rd party costs too much at their age, make sure you fully understand the pre-existing condition policies of the Princess coverage before purchasing. It could possibly exclude a great deal of claims. With 3rd party coverage, the possibility of a pre-ex merely raises the rates (assuming you meet the conditions for a pre-ex waiver); with Princess coverage, it excludes your claim entirely, leaving you out of pocket.

SirWired

Thank you I did e-mail them to see if they did cover anywhere for australian residents but they have not replied as yet Their site says for Canadian and USA residents

I always insure with Travelex, and because I have a pre-existing condition that could flare (thankfully never has), I purchase the insurance within the 21 days (their policy requirement) to waive it. I purchase based on the day my TA applies the FCC deposit to my account. They assure me (Travelex) that this is correct...hope I never have to test it!

Excluding medical expenses, Princess will only reimburse you for $100 per day for accommodations and transportation expenses for immediate family or traveling companion. Also they will not reimburse you for more than the original cost of your cruise. So if you have something happen in the early part of your cruise you will be reimbursed for the cruise days you have not taken and the balance will be available for your accommodation and transportation expenses. So for example if you paid $1000 for a ten day cruise which is interrupted on day 3, you will get $700 back for the cruise days you missed and a maximum of $300 for accommodations and transportation. So if you end up spending a week in a hotel, that $300 isn't going to go very far. I have first hand experience with this so know this is the way it's handled. You can also read this for yourself in the policy on line. http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/pdf/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Medical expenses are only covered up to $20,000 for Platinum coverage and $10,000 for regular. Not much for anything major. Since we have insurance that covers us out of country this isn't a big deal for us but may be for anyone who doesn't have that type of coverage.

Even though Princess doesn't have an age requirement they charge 8% for fares under $5,000 which is more than it is for more coverage through Travel Guard or Access America. The only benefit I see with Princess is the cancel for any reason. This would come in handy if you had a problem with a pre-existing condition or for other reasons that aren't usually covered by travel insurance.

Insurance should be compared carefully and a decision made based on what is important to you.

Up until two years ago, I always purchased Princess Insurance. Now I buy my insurance elsewhere and supplement it with a MedJet Assist membership.

I always insure with Travelex, and because I have a pre-existing condition that could flare (thankfully never has), I purchase the insurance within the 21 days (their policy requirement) to waive it. I purchase based on the day my TA applies the FCC deposit to my account. They assure me (Travelex) that this is correct...hope I never have to test it!

This is correct. I have also used Travelex and they are also a very good insurance company to work with.

Medical expenses are only covered up to $20,000 for Platinum coverage and $10,000 for regular. Not much for anything major. Since we have insurance that covers us out of country this isn't a big deal for us but may be for anyone who doesn't have that type of coverage.

Good info in your post! I have also checked with my medical insurance and there are hospitals through out the world that will take my insurance but by no means will all of them. When I leave the country, I print the the list. If I go to a hospital that doesn't take bcbs, my insurance only covers 50% of the cost. Thus, a travel insurance policy is necessary for me.

I just wish there were more annual policies for those who travel several times a year.

I just wish there were more annual policies for those who travel several times a year.

I met a fellow on board who was still hobbled by a leg he broke in Mexico. A long story short, now he has an annual policy to cover future problems for sickness or injury. Our conversation was interrupted before I could get particulars. Can anyone help? as I am constantly out of the country on planes or ships and I notice I'm not getting any younger.

IMHO, the only insurance worth having is medical and evacuation. I self insure on everything else. We have a policy that I got through InsureMyTrip that covers us for a full year on any trips we take either foreign or domestic. It costs the 2 of us about $450.

If you compare the medical and evacuation coverage on the policies issued by the cruise lines and by the independents, the policies issued by the cruise lines are generally totally worthless.

DON

IMHO, the only insurance worth having is medical and evacuation. I self insure on everything else. We have a policy that I got through InsureMyTrip that covers us for a full year on any trips we take either foreign or domestic. It costs the 2 of us about $450.

If you compare the medical and evacuation coverage on the policies issued by the cruise lines and by the independents, the policies issued by the cruise lines are generally totally worthless.

DON

You are right. While I don't want to lose a couple of thousand we put out for a trip, we obviously can afford it if we are buying it. It would be disappointing to lose the money but it is not the end of the world. It is medical and evacuation that can bankrupt you or prevent you from getting the help you need.

I know Canadians often buy yearly policies and a friend is an agent and he bought one that is specifically for agents. I will have to look at insuremytrip for the policy that you purchased.

I met a fellow on board who was still hobbled by a leg he broke in Mexico. A long story short, now he has an annual policy to cover future problems for sickness or injury. Our conversation was interrupted before I could get particulars. Can anyone help? as I am constantly out of the country on planes or ships and I notice I'm not getting any younger.

The major U.S. 3rd-party travel insurance providers, AccessAmerica, TravelGuard, and TravelEx offer annual medical and evac policies, simply go to their websites for details.

If I traveled more, I would be all over one of those policies, but as it is, I just don't travel often enough to make it worth it.

SirWired

The major U.S. 3rd-party travel insurance providers, AccessAmerica, TravelGuard, and TravelEx offer annual medical and evac policies, simply go to their websites for details.

If I traveled more, I would be all over one of those policies, but as it is, I just don't travel often enough to make it worth it.

SirWired

Thanks for the info. It just so happens Im in Venice (and its miserable) right now but Il check into it when I return.

• 2 years later...
Just a few comments. My friends who have used Princess's medical facilities onboard have had to pay for their services onboard and have had to file claims when they returned.

That's exactly how it works. Princess insurance wanted proof that Medicare would deny the claim even though the sickness was on the Diamond Princess in the Far East. Princess insurance already knew in advance that Medicare would deny the claim but demanded that we supply them proof of denial anyway. After giving Princess insurance the proof of Medicare denial Princess insurance finally paid the small claim. What a hassle.

There are certain places I do not want to have surgery and if it is not life and death that moment - I want to be flown home.

That's why we ALWAYS buy MedjetAssist using the AARP discount in addition to travel insurance. They have an excellent reputation of bringing you and your spouse immediately home, usually on a chartered jet, no matter how much it costs them, not you.

Archived