How to book

AK Dreaming

It depends on the cruiseline. Sometimes travel agents offer rates lower than the cruiseline itself (most Princess cruises). Other times the rates will be the same no matter who you book with (Celebrity and Royal Caribbean). What you need to do is shop around, shop around, shop around.

We have a local TA that does everything for us. She knows more about the business than I do, takes care of things I don't think of, and gives us an on board credit out of part of her commission. She plans lots of these per year, has more experience, and can suggest things for us. I agree that I wouldn't look for an online agency of people I don't know, and know nothing about, but an experienced TA is invaluable.

If you know the ship, cruise date and cabin catagory you want I'd definitely suggest trying one of the "cruise compete" type sites. I saved money on my most recent booking. I got 3 quotes from 3 different TA's - I chose the cheapest one. Saved about $300 over the company website.

The cruise line site is usually very easy to book too.

I've found many TA's pricing is higher than the company online price. Just shop like crazy. :eek:

Don't worry about on-board-credits, etc., you are actually paying for those extras one way on another. As soon as I buy my ticket from a TA or online or whatever, I directly go to the cruise line site and verify my booking. Never had a problem, ever.

A ticket is a ticket! :)

If you have the time and energy, research the cruise pricing yourself online. In the end, go to a travel agent with the pricing you found. Booking with an agent is free, they may have access to blocks of cruises that are not public and last minute deals from the cruise lines not published online. They can also answer a lot of your cruising questions directly.

We have a local TA that does everything for us. She knows more about the business than I do, takes care of things I don't think of, and gives us an on board credit out of part of her commission. She plans lots of these per year, has more experience, and can suggest things for us. I agree that I wouldn't look for an online agency of people I don't know, and know nothing about, but an experienced TA is invaluable.

I dunno... I like to research my cruises on my own, not depend on someone else to inform me of what I may or may not be interested in. I like to retain control of my reservation and can't see what a TA (in person or online) can advise me of that I haven't already figured out on my own. The rebate on the commission (OBC) might be the only reason I'd do it....but probably not then either.

For new cruisers I would strongly recommend a TA. They offer general expertise and knowledge that going through a cruise line PVP or a direct 800 # person can't/won't offer. The other consideration is when things go wrong, who but a TA can help.

We use our whse club TA, but have also used the site where they compete for your business too a few times.

The only cruise line for which we did not get a lower price was Celebrity, but we got a very nice OBC from the TA. Some cruises we got lower price and OBC, some just lower price. So we always find the cruise we want, price with cruise line site, then call the whse club, where we usually book it.

Read these boards too to get lots of valuable information.

I didn't know TAs got better prices and I paid full price through the cruise line for my first 3 cruises! Not anymore!

Enjoy!!!

Archived