formal night alternative

kaj1436

First, why would you pick a ship or cruiseline that doesn't fit your lifestyle????

And no---lobster is only in the dining room. On Carnival, dressing up isn't that hard...they don't require tuxes or gowns.

Maybe the OP just doesn't want to spend two hours eating with a bunch of drunk, annoying people.. Like me! :)

First, why would you pick a ship or cruiseline that doesn't fit your lifestyle????

And no---lobster is only in the dining room. On Carnival, dressing up isn't that hard...they don't require tuxes or gowns.

Who said anything about it not fitting my lifestyle? It was just a question. Geez!! I thought that's was what these forums were for? Thank you to those who have answered my question.

Even though it is elegant night you can still dress in business casual and eat in the Main dining room. We dress for elegant night about 90% of the time but this past summer we choose to forgo the second night and I just wore a sun dress and he wore khakis and a polo, our vacation, our choice.

Perfectly within the stated dress code.

Sorry no Lobster anywhere but the dining room.

I only dress up the first elegant dining night for 2 reasons, #1 lobster & prawns & #2 I don't get to dress up for work so it feels nice to get all fancied up & take pictures every once in a while. second elegant evening we usually just hit the Sushi bar or something.

Have a great cruise:)

I take a cruise with my mother once a year and she prefers not to get dressed up for dinner. While the elegant evening buffet doesn't have lobster, they do have a soup, appetizer and meat selection off of the main menu. At least that has been my expierience. Hope that helps :)

Pardon the ignorance, but I assume from this post that Carnival got rid of formal night. What a shame. I assume that its at least semi-formal now, not t-shirts/shorts... :confused:

Oh no, formal night is still there. 1 night on 3-5 night cruises and 2 nights on longer trips.

The OP was simply asking if they didn't want to get "dressed up" for dinner in the MDR, what the food alternitives were. Specifically was there anywhere to get lobster but the MDR.

Who said anything about it not fitting my lifestyle? It was just a question. Geez!! I thought that's was what these forums were for? Thank you to those who have answered my question.

Kaj

if that other comment didn't run you off..:rolleyes:

Then you don't need to worry about dressing up too much for Elegant night.

For men, jackets and ties anr not required.

I am one of those who do not at all find it enjoyable to dress up

and wear a tie or even worse..a jacket. A nice shirt and pants are just fine.

Go and enjoy your lobster.;)

Actually, if you want lobster and don't wish to dress up, AND your ship has a supper club, just go on the non Elegant nights. The only nights they require a jacket is Elegant night, so the other nights, you can dress casually and get that lobster.

However, you will be charged $30 pp, but it is a REAL cold water MAINE lobster, as opposed to what they serve in the MDR.

wow what is it with some posters responses. Actually Carnival does fit your lifestyle.

There are lots of food options for formal night, but the lobster is in the dining room. Nice slacks and a top will pass. My husband wore a suite, my teen wore a white shirt and tie, and my daughter and I wore nice dresses.

The rest of the passengers ranged from tuxes to polo shirts. You'll be fine, enjoy the lobster. If you are taking the kids on the cruise you could always eat with them in the buffet and do the dining room without them.

I was just wondering if one does not want to dress up on formal night is there alternative dining that will still serve lobster? Or do you have to dress up in order to get your lobster dinner??

Thanks so much

You are so right. You merely asked a simple question.

In answer to your question, you don't have to "dress up" for formal/elegant night. I have seen men in open collar shirts and slacks or nice polo shirt and dark slacks who looked fine. I've seen ladies in slacks and a nice top or nice dress (doesn't have to be a gown or even a cocktail dress) and they looked the part too.

Mostly, I think that as long as you avoid wearing jeans, t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, beach-type sundresses etc, you'll be just fine.

I was just wondering if one does not want to dress up on formal night is there alternative dining that will still serve lobster? Or do you have to dress up in order to get your lobster dinner??

Thanks so much

Formal night is rapidly becoming a dinosaur. At least 50% of the people eat that night in resort casual dress in the dining room. If you want lobster wear resort casual wear and go to the dining room. Unfortunately right now they don't serve lobster on the buffet, but IMO that is coming soon when all of the ships move everyone to anytime dining (which is also MO is going to happen sooner instead of later.)

Just got back from the Legend two weeks ago(whimper, wish I was still cruising). The crowd on this cruise dressed up, because I think it was an older crowd, (myself included), The Lobster in the Main Dining Room was, I repeat was Maine Lobster tail. Small, but Maine. The Lobster I had in the supper club was Bahamian lobster, but the surf and turf was Maine Lobster. I love lobster. To me I'd dress in a tutu:eek: and snorkel mask if they told me I would get Lobster for dinner. :D

And no dinner in the MDR lasts two hours. They move you in and "Mooove" you out within less than an hour. Unless you stay to watch the waiters dance and sing.

Thanks so much

KAj.....

What only 1 person has told you and it took 18 post's is that Formal nights have been eliminated fleetwide over a year ago.

The old dress code is gone and there is a new code that even allows dress shorts everynight except on a nights they delegate as an "Elegant dress". Even on those nights dress pants and a shirt is acceptable.

They do not even look at kids so they can wear shorts everynight,as there really is no dress code.

Those that want to perpetuate the dress up game,look at me,look at me are welcome to do so. Remember,this is the walmart:) of the seas cruiseline.

Steve

Welcome to Walmart:)

IMHO...As long as you are close to the guidelines, go and have great time at dinner and enjoy your food. Those of you who are bothered by those around you who are not dressed "Formally" need to RELAX and have another drink! Have a great cruise, that is all that matters!

We sail in April. We will be eating in the dining room any night we choose regardless of the style of dress for that night. We will wear WHAT we choose. It will be tasteful but I guranteee it will NOT be formal (even on formal night). This is our vacation as much as anyone elses and if they don't like the way we are dressed, they don't have to look at us. It is not because we can't afford formal clothes, it is because we choose to not take our formal clothes when we are on vacation. If the maitre d chooses to ask us to leave, that is uo to him but I can gurantee it will not be the end of it.

Just my 2 cents......feel free to flame me.

MimXmom, not flaming you but if you don't want to dress up on formal night why don't you do an all-inclusive casual resort, or maybe you just think you are so special you don't have to follow the guidelines. Formal nights on cruiselines are traditional if you don't want to follow traditions why go and foster your beliefs on everyone else, pretty rude in my book. Carnival has gone from two formal nights to wear whatever you please or as they say resort casual, you should be okay. Steve believe it or not some people enjoy dressing up and don't do it to bee seen, some do it to please their wives, me thinks you are foolish.

The dress code isn't as strict as it use to be. You can wear slacks and a dress shirt if you wish. You don't have to wear an evening dress is you don't want to.

The second time we were on a Carnival ship, my hubby had to much fun in the sun and swallowed some water on our snuba excursion. I had already gotten dress and he said at the last minute that he didn't want to go but for me to go ahead without him.

Our servers were so nice. They fixed him some lobsters to go in a foil swan and put some drawn butter in a small container and said for me to take it to him in our room. He had napped while I dined and he was feeling much better. He kicked back in the bed and ate his meal!

Archived