Tipping Room Stewards

That is the amount, and I sincerely hope that Older Party mis-read those other posts.

Of course, as we all know, "tipping is a personal matter" and there are persons out there who just don't get it.

Correct..but it's not them getting it...It's their stewards, servers...etc. that aren't :(:rolleyes:

Older Party, as you know the staff depend on their tips for their income to support themselves and their family back home. As mentioned, tips are a personal matter and in fact I'm sure there are some who do not tip at all, but the recommendation for room stewards is $3.50 US per guest per day. If you are sincerely asking and wanting to do the "right thing" (no one flame me!), you are under-tipping. The stewards work hard for the money; some of them have 15 cabins to tend to - it's a back-breaking job. They deserve our full tips, IMO.

The suggested amount is $3.50 per person, per day for the room attendant and waiter. Your ass't waiter gets $2.00 pp pd and the Head waiter is $.75 pp pd.

For budgeting purposes, it works out to $9.75 per person, per day (or night!) to cover all those who serve you. (for JS's and below)

Room service isn't included in that amount...tip at time of delivery.

Bar/drink service already adds 15%, so you won't have to worry about that.

Even though we pre pay tips, we always have added in a separate envelope extra for our Room Steward, Waiter and Assit Waiter and handed it to them personally.

We do the same thing. I give the Room Steward $10 on day 1 of the cruise and have always had plenty of ice and excellent service.

In addition to the regular tip, plus extra if service is good, we usually give the cabin steward "a morning off" when our cabin doesn't really need cleaning or straightening up. We see the cabin steward in the hallway in the morning and tell him/her to skip our room that morning and enjoy a little free time. The smile this brings to his/her face is rewarding! This is also especially helpful on the last evening when we have packing to do and our suitcases are all over the cabin. Another smile which costs us nothing!

island284

I leave the auto tips in place but, also, leave some dollars during the cruise with a note thanking he/she for something they have done even if it is part of their regular duties like keeping my six-pack cooler full of ice, washing the balcony railing, a towel animal, whatever I can think of. I bring some snack sized candy with me and leave that with the note. Funny thing is they always graciously thank me for the candy but never mention the money (lol).

One thing you can do that they really appreciate and doesn't cost a dime is to give them recognition in the exit survey by name. This gets them extra time off and promotions.

Tucker in Texas

We do the same thing. I give the Room Steward $10 on day 1 of the cruise and have always had plenty of ice and excellent service.

The problem with doing this is that you have no way of being certain that the advance tip played any role in the quality of service you received. Most of us, who do not tip in advance, report receiving equally excellent service. Look up "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" to see what fallacy you have fallen into.;)

We are leaving tomorrow for the Radiance and I'm going to tip 1000 bucks per day to every RCL employee who smiles at me or the wife. We are also going to give our cabin attendant the whole 12 days off. :rolleyes:

If your cabin steward is excellent, go to the Guest Service desk and ask for a comment card. Your compliments are the most rewarding thing for all the staff on board. They get promotions based on compliments!

The only comment cards I'm aware of are the ones passed out at the end of the cruise. I don't believe there are extras available (a pet peeve of mine is that they only give one card per cabin - DH and I often have different opinions on things).

We also do not tip extra until the end of the cruise and have almost always had fabulous service. In the cases where we did not, I doubt that pre-tipping would have made things better.

We are leaving tomorrow for the Radiance and I'm going to tip 1000 bucks per day to every RCL employee who smiles at me or the wife. We are also going to give our cabin attendant the whole 12 days off. :rolleyes:

Why not? "The wife" can make up the beds and clean the room, right?;) Of course at $1000 per day for every smiling employee could well bankrupt you well before the cruise has ended.

Oh good. A thread on tipping. This should lead to civil discussion and result in many people agreeing with one another.

I like you! :D That just made me spit water all over my computer.

We also usually give the steward a few times off--just ask for towels or something. I don't really need a room cleaned twice a day. And we usually always tip extra at the end and give them special mention in our comments on the end of trip survey. I really do hope it's true that folks get time off and promotions because of the surveys. I can't imagine why anyone would give extra at the front end. What happens if you don't get good service? Do you ask for it back?

The only comment cards I'm aware of are the ones passed out at the end of the cruise. I don't believe there are extras available (a pet peeve of mine is that they only give one card per cabin - DH and I often have different opinions on things).

Check with guest relations. After all the surveys are distributed I think they will give a 2nd survey out to an adult for this exact reason. It does need to be asked for and signed for. The time frame they are available seems to be from 6:30-8:30, They need to make sure the first copy to a room has already been distributed before another copy can be signed for.

We also do not tip extra until the end of the cruise and have almost always had fabulous service. In the cases where we did not, I doubt that pre-tipping would have made things better.

In regards to the comment cards, you are thinking about those general comment cards. It´s true those are just one per cabin, maybe you can request one per person (I don´t know). But there are general comment cards available at the guest relations and they are available all cruise long. You could use those for complimenting on your cabin attendant, or you could also just write a note and leave it with guest relations addressed to the Hotel Director.

Archived