Bringing baked goods onboard

sanken

know exactly what u mean, went to carlos' last friday and waited 2 hours in line, we only go every 2 or 3 months and it takes us 2 hours to get there, so i didn't mind waiting in line, thoroughly enjoyed talking to all the friendly:D people waiting in line with us. left with 2 huge bags of goodies, will definitely figure in the wait time on cruise day march 7

I take Pringles, peanuts and sometimes crackers to have for him when he orders cheese.

But the difference is that everything you mentioned is available in pre-packaged form, which is considered safe and "non-threatening", if you will. OP asked about something fresh - IMO, a cause for concern but obviously there is enough support that s/he is going to do it.

Gets mixed reviews but I guess it's popular because it's on a t.v. show?

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=7244026580645556098&q=carlos%2Bbakery&hl=en&gl=us&view=feature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=0&ved=0COsBELUF&sa=X&ei=ZWOCS4uxI5CUyAS_h7g2

Seriously though, 2 hours for cannoli, not gonna happen. There's cannoli every 50 yds in NJ.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Anyone that posts here should know they will get all kinds of answers,good,bad, funny,insulting,praising, you name it,you got it.Pick the one you like and forget the rest.:rolleyes:

I wonder how you would react if you got a rude response!:rolleyes:

To the op, yes take them on board if you like, we took goodies onboard from most ports we stopped at so shouldnt be a problem.

Sometimes its not always eat eat eat, but you prefer a certain taste or to try something new..:)

How can a cannoli be worth a two hour wait??

Gets mixed reviews but I guess it's popular because it's on a t.v. show?

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=7244026580645556098&q=carlos%2Bbakery&hl=en&gl=us&view=feature&mcsrc=detailed_reviews&num=10&start=0&ved=0COsBELUF&sa=X&ei=ZWOCS4uxI5CUyAS_h7g2

Seriously though, 2 hours for cannoli, not gonna happen. There's cannoli every 50 yds in NJ.

They are pretty amazing cannoli's.. :) The bakery has been popular wayyyyy before they had their own show. Luckily though, I live close enough that I stop by there when the crowds are thinner. There's only one other bakery in the area that can compete with Carlos...and that's Rispoli's. You can sometimes find long lines there too, and they don't even have their own show! :eek:

I would have said the same thing until a visit to Mike's Pastry Shop while in Boston's north end this past fall. :)

Are you saying Mike's cannoli's are better or that they're worth the wait? Just checking because we can get to Mike's anytime so I won't bother trying to get to Carlos if Mike's are better!

I wonder how you would react if you got a rude response!:rolleyes:

To the op, yes take them on board if you like, we took goodies onboard from most ports we stopped at so shouldnt be a problem.

Sometimes its not always eat eat eat, but you prefer a certain taste or to try something new..:)

My reaction:D:D:D:D.Lighten up people.I sure didn't think my post was insulting anyone.I guess we all interpret the written word differently.So be it.

I have in the past brought packaged treats with me. I eat the yummy stuff onboard, but do limit my sugar intake. I bring lower carb goodies with me so I don't over do it. This next vacation, I might just be bringing some home-baked stuff for the same reason. They do have a small # of "sugar free" desserts, but as far as I know, it's not something you can find at any given time during the day.

Are you saying Mike's cannoli's are better or that they're worth the wait? Just checking because we can get to Mike's anytime so I won't bother trying to get to Carlos if Mike's are better!

I've never been to Carlos'. I was in Boston for the first time ever this past fall. A friend from the area said to go to Mike's for canoli so we did. I'm not a canoli connoseuir (sp?) by any means, but OMG, were they good! Ok, honestly? Can't say I'd wait in line 2 hours for anything like that, but the place was crazy busy. They have a few bistro tables and one was empty so we sat down and got waited on. Most people were getting take out orders and they were packed in the place and lined up out the door.

I am pretty sure you are NOT allowed actually. I say this becuase when I was planning my onboard wedding I talked to RCI about possibly bringing a cake on if I were to choose the Mariner, and they said NO, that it was not allowed.

If you want to try, go ahead, just be warned they may or may not care and you may or may not be able to keep your baked goods.

The reason you were not allowed to bring your own wedding cake onboard is because you were planning to book your wedding through the RCI Wedding Department, and purchase a particular package, which included a wedding cake. They're not about to let you bring your own, when they can charge you a lot of money to provide one for you! They wouldn't have let you bring your own liquor, cookies, pastries, or hors d'eouvres for the reception, either. It's not just RCI. Other lines have Wedding Departments as well, and they all operate the same way.

The op posted a question that seemed straightforward as much as the responses reflected a great deal of experience in crusing...however...after 20 plus cruises, my better half and I did a "wine cruise" on Celebrity this year on the Millennium and it was different! One of our stops was in San Francisco and people tried to bring "San Francisco Sourdough" bread...in sealed wrapping...back aboard. They were refused by the ship's security. We were very surprised and it became a topic around the ship. I don't know what the resolution was but it was taken to the Hotel Manager's level by one of the cruisers in the penthouse suite. Bottom line...one never really knows what security will or won't allow on the ship...but if you like it...try it.

How can a cannoli be worth a two hour wait??

I don't know about cannoli but DH waits in line for over 2 hours for tamales the day before Christmas Eve every year. Of, course he buys over 20 dozen. People actually buy 100 dozen at a time. They even buy extras to take back home after the holidays if they don't live here. So I kinda get it. Not taking them on a cruise though.

Monica

The op posted a question that seemed straightforward as much as the responses reflected a great deal of experience in crusing...however...after 20 plus cruises, my better half and I did a "wine cruise" on Celebrity this year on the Millennium and it was different! One of our stops was in San Francisco and people tried to bring "San Francisco Sourdough" bread...in sealed wrapping...back aboard. They were refused by the ship's security. We were very surprised and it became a topic around the ship. I don't know what the resolution was but it was taken to the Hotel Manager's level by one of the cruisers in the penthouse suite. Bottom line...one never really knows what security will or won't allow on the ship...but if you like it...try it.

I'm wondering if this was because the ship sold the SF Sourdough Bread on board (for probably a lot more!)???? If your ship stopped in SF, where this bread is famous, that might be the reason.

I have in the past brought packaged treats with me. I eat the yummy stuff onboard, but do limit my sugar intake. I bring lower carb goodies with me so I don't over do it. This next vacation, I might just be bringing some home-baked stuff for the same reason. They do have a small # of "sugar free" desserts, but as far as I know, it's not something you can find at any given time during the day.

There are sugar-free desserts in the WJ, from lunch through dinner. :)

I'm wondering if this was because the ship sold the SF Sourdough Bread on board (for probably a lot more!)???? If your ship stopped in SF, where this bread is famous, that might be the reason.

I don't see a :) in your post, so I assume that you are serious.

RC doesn't sell bread on the ship................ :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't see a :) in your post, so I assume that you are serious.

RC doesn't sell bread on the ship................ :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They sell rum cakes, though. Do they sell sourdough starters? Assume what you will! :)

That too but a lobster claw is a puffed pastry that is filled with this light, yummy filling. ;) It is for after the other lobstah!:D

Have been to Mike's on occasion, but didn't realize they had "lobster claws". I will definitely try one on my next visit. Thanks for the tip!

Archived