Bicycles on board?

GeezLouise1

There is currently a thread about bringing golf clubs on board. Dh and I have wondered if we could bring our bikes on board? We've done lots of cycle touring, you'd be surprised by the hotels, elevators, planes and trains that we've visited with our bikes. :D. We'd love to be able to explore the various ports by on bicycles! Any thoughts?

I've never seen anybody bringing bicycles on or off a ship - but I have seen some rentals available near the pier in some ports. Also, in some ports HAL has bicycle tour excursions, but then you wouldn't be off on your own.

I would think it would be a big pain for your cabin steward unless maybe you stored them out on a veranda when not in use.

Call Ship Services at 800-541-1576 and ask.

Edited by jtl513

It's pretty much a given that they're not going to allow you to store them in your cabin but they might store them for you elsewhere below (pax) decks. Take Jtl513's advise and call Ships Services on Monday to see if they can get you an answer and will allow you to bring them onboard in the first place - I've seen crew (officers) ride mountain bikes for exercise in foreign ports but that's crew

We would like to take bikes on a cruise as well. On our last cruise on the Westerdam we saw a crew member storing crew bikes and stopped to question her. She said that bikes would be allowed in your cabin but they would not provide any other storage. I think the best way to handle a bike on a cruise ship would be to buy a bike Friday or some other folding bike which you could then treat as luggage and it would not take up much room in your cabin.

HAL does allow you to bring bikes on board but you must store them in your cabin. If you have a balcony/veranda, that is OK. I have seen people bring folding bicycles on board and leave them on their balcony. Under the bed would be OK too. The rooms are generally too small for non-folding bicycles. I would love to have a good folder and take it to Alaska!

Other cruise lines have different policies. Celebrity stores your bike in the hold and brings it to you at the gangplank.

Bill

The last thing I think you would want to experience is walking the hall way or getting on an elevator with someone with a bike on a cruise ship. I have never saw one and hope to never see one "on a cruise ship".

I can't remember if it was on the Volendam or Veendam but three or four years ago I clearly remember a couple with full size 10-speed like bikes on the ship. I saw them a couple of times with their bikes getting on or off elevators on our deck level so I just assumed they were keeping them in their cabin. We also went snorkeling with the same couple and they brought all they own gear as I remember thinking at the time that they obviously came on the ship with a whole lot of stuff besides typical luggage. :)

A few years ago we had some cyclists on board, I think about 20.

They all had their bikes with them and cycled in every port.

Donot know about storage, but check with HAL.

Thanks all for your responses! I am really encouraged. Our bikes are touring bikes ( look like 10-speeds) but we partially disassemble them into soft sided traveling cases. I'd call ship services to confirm, of course. Cycling is a wonderful way to tour a new place! Now, to decide on a new destination.....;)

I think that even a small portion of passengers with bicycles, say 5%, would create numerous problems. Especially on a tendered port.

My wife and I are both regular cyclists, however, we would not impose on others by dragging our bicycles down the hallway to our stateroom. It is a matter of courtesy (and a bit of class as well).

The only purpose in bringing a bicycle is to avoid having to rent one. This is just being cheap at the expense of the other passengers. Fortunately, airline baggage fees will nullify this motivation for most passengers.

igraf

All types of apparatus (walkers ,wheelchairs,scooters) are often seen on a cruise ship ,I think a couple of bicycles handled by clearly athletic individuals will cause no problems.whatsoever.

Hope you are able to bring your bikes ,H:)ppy Sailing

I think that even a small portion of passengers with bicycles, say 5%, would create numerous problems. Especially on a tendered port.

My wife and I are both regular cyclists, however, we would not impose on others by dragging our bicycles down the hallway to our stateroom. It is a matter of courtesy (and a bit of class as well).

The only purpose in bringing a bicycle is to avoid having to rent one. This is just being cheap at the expense of the other passengers. Fortunately, airline baggage fees will nullify this motivation for most passengers.

igraf

I too enjoy cycling and have never "dragged" my bike anywhere :confused:

Nor have I ever found the hallways to our stateroom to be remotely crowded.

I feel the OP was very courteous in their request for information and to

infer they are cheap or lacking class is well .....

Granted tendering may be an issue but again I am sure a seasoned cyclist would handle the situation just fine.

Hey maybe Hal will become known as the cruise line to attract cyclists and smokers, now won't those two factions get along just swell :D(sorry:o)

I too enjoy cycling and have never "dragged" my bike anywhere :confused:

Nor have I ever found the hallways to our stateroom to be remotely crowded.

I feel the OP was very courteous in their request for information and to

infer they are cheap or lacking class is well .....

Granted tendering may be an issue but again I am sure a seasoned cyclist would handle the situation just fine.

Hey maybe Hal will become known as the cruise line to attract cyclists and smokers, now won't those two factions get along just swell :D(sorry:o)

Thanks for the moral support, I appreciate your defence:p. We all know that some comments are meant to agitate and I just ignore them. We have tried rental bikes and that is one of the main reasons we like to have our own. One hundred plus kilometers on a rotten seat can take the joy from any tour!

On a long cruise on Prinsendam the folks in my neighboring cabin brought two folding bikes and used them regularly at ports where biking was feasible. They were the envy of many on the ship. They could just pick the up and carry them to the gangway or tender "dock". In no way did they cause any congestion or problems. Of course, less considerate folks could cause a problem I would think.

Holy Moly!:cool:

Btw, couldn't sleep last nite; kept thinking; can you wear a robe on a bike?

I believe you can only wear a robe on a bike if you're in the privacy of your own cabin, heading into the shower, spandex optional. Trays are not allowed in the shower at any time. :D

• 6 years later...
HAL does allow you to bring bikes on board but you must store them in your cabin. If you have a balcony/veranda, that is OK. I have seen people bring folding bicycles on board and leave them on their balcony. Under the bed would be OK too. The rooms are generally too small for non-folding bicycles. I would love to have a good folder and take it to Alaska!

Other cruise lines have different policies. Celebrity stores your bike in the hold and brings it to you at the gangplank.

Bill[/quote

HAL has, in the past, welcomed our folding bikes onboard. As recently as the spring of 2016, we had a wonderful trip on the Prinsendam. HOWEVER, that has changed and bikes are now on the prohibited list. Since we cycle tour, this is a huge disappointment and may mean that after 230 days onboard, we may never sail on HAL again.

Bill[/quote

HAL has, in the past, welcomed our folding bikes onboard. As recently as the spring of 2016, we had a wonderful trip on the Prinsendam. HOWEVER, that has changed and bikes are now on the prohibited list. Since we cycle tour, this is a huge disappointment and may mean that after 230 days onboard, we may never sail on HAL again.

OP..Have you ever considered a folding bike..We had a 33 ft sailboat & went up north with it..That trip was for 5 months.. DH worked for a large company & won 2 folding bikes.. We had bags for them & kept both bikes on top of our boats cabin..Used them many times on our trip up north..

Of course they are not as comfortable as a larger 10 speed but served our purpose..I had a special seat for mine which was very comfortable..Take a look at them..You should be able to store them on your balcony or under a bed as they were not much larger than our suitcases..

https://www.amazon.com/Columba-Folding-Shimano-Speed-SP26S-BLU/dp/B002J1VOR6/ref=zg_bs_3405101_19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BKWF2GC6KSFXZ0EWQP9G

If they are in a case, I can't see why HAl would not let you check them in with your regular luggage..Suggest you try to escalate your request up to special services or even the Presidents office if it refused..No harm in trying if you agree to store them in your cabin..Hope you can take them with you.. We :Dhad lots of fun on our bikes..