Venice- Murano and Burano

SAN

Probably by vaporetto (water bus) either from the terminal. Info here:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto_routes2_table.htm

Both Murano (glass) and Burano (lace) are moderately interesting, but if you only have one day, and haven't been to Venice before, there are far more spectacular things to see and experience. The glass and lace can be purchased all over Venice, and if it's glass blowing you wish to see, there are some workshops around San Marco. But they are nice diversions for the repeat visitor, or if one has a few days in Venice.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy your day!

There are no vaporettos from the port so you first need to walk (or take a bus) over to Piazale Roma. As you approach the Piazale from the port (you go over a bridge) you will see the ACTV (vaporetto company) office on your left. From the pier you can get Vaporettos to both Burano and Murano. Keep in mind that a vaporetto ticket costs 6.5 Euros for each trip so it often pays to buy a day ticket (they sell them for 24, 36, 48 and 72 hours). To get from the port to the Piazale Roma it is about a 15 min walk, but there is also a local bus line that stops at the port entrance.

Hank

We visited Burano & Murano a couple of years ago. We found each quite charming. We liked the glass factory in Murano (had to tear ourselves away before buying too many beautiful pieces!!) and also enjoyed just walking around very colourful Burano. It does make for a full day of touring but if you have already toured Venice, this is a great day out. Enjoy!!:)

I don't know when your day will start. It took me from 10AM until about 4PM to see the 2 islands AND Torcello . Torcello has the oldest church in the lagoon with great mosaics. It is reached by a short ferry across the water from Burano.

I went there first. Came back to Burano for lunch and then made my way to Murano.

What is the best way to get to Murano and Burano from the cruise terminal? Do you think we could see both islands before our ship leaves port at 5:00 pm?

Depends on when you leave for Burano. First you have to get to Fondamenta Nove.(or Nuove) You could walk there in about 30 minutes from Piazzale Roma (it is 2 km.) You could get to Piazzale Roma from the terminal on the People Mover assuming it is ready. The Vaporetti to Burano leave every 30 minutes and take 40 minutes so if you just miss one it would be close to an hour. With stops at Murano and Burano it is possible but would take most of a day.

We left San Polo at about 10, went to Torcello (just beyond Burano), which was delightful, for lunch and were back by about 3. However we didn't stop over in Murano or Burano. The link for Vaporetto schedules is http://www.venicewelcome.com/actv/vaporetto.htm The timetable is a bit difficult to figure out. You enter your departure point Fondamenta Nuove and desired ending point Burano as well as the desired arrival time. have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could pick up the DM vaporetto at Piazzale Roma and take it all the way to Murano, http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversidetail/lineeid_2_lineaid_100.jsp#1

where you would then take the LN line to Burano.

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversidetail/lineeid_4_lineaid_110.jsp#1

Thanks for those links. I have copied the route map on tabloid size paper - very handy :)

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out which way each line goes, eg 51/52. Am I right in thinking that it is the same line but for example 51 goes in one direction and 52 in the other?

So if I want to go from P.le Roma to Piazza S.Marco, I could take 51 which goes around the west and south sides with only 3 stops, and on return I would take 52 to go back along the same route. Is that right? (I know I could take no.1 as well, along the Grande Canal, but it would probably take longer with 15 stops! :eek:)

Thanks for those links. I have copied the route map on tabloid size paper - very handy :)

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out which way each line goes, eg 51/52. Am I right in thinking that it is the same line but for example 51 goes in one direction and 52 in the other?

So if I want to go from P.le Roma to Piazza S.Marco, I could take 51 which goes around the west and south sides with only 3 stops, and on return I would take 52 to go back along the same route. Is that right? (I know I could take no.1 as well, along the Grande Canal, but it would probably take longer with 15 stops! :eek:)

You are correct. you can find a good summary at http://www.europeforvisitors.com/venice I believe the 61 and 62 cover the same routes. The stations are well marked. Remember there are at least 3 stops (piers) at St. Mark's. Get a pass for the time you are there. You can also get museum passes at http://www.veniceconnected.it

Hello to all,

I have a couple of questions for you. It looks like there's several stops at Murano. We would like to know what stop would allow us to see a bit of the island and then what stop we need to be at to catch the LN to Burano for the same. The map from hellovenezia isn't really clear...

If you can't quite figure it out from the map, on the same site you can click on the lines to see each stop.

To get to Burano from Murano, you take the LN (Lagoon) Line from the Murano Faro stop. Here are the specifics for the line: http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversidetail/lineeid_4_lineaid_110.jsp#1

Murano, which is actually several small islands, isn't all that big. It won't really matter which stop you get off at coming from Venice, you can easily walk from one to the others. It is important that you get to Murano Faro to leave, however.

Edited by euro cruiser

You are correct. you can find a good summary at www.europeforvisitors.com/venice I believe the 61 and 62 cover the same routes. The stations are well marked. Remember there are at least 3 stops (piers) at St. Mark's. Get a pass for the time you are there. You can also get museum passes at www.veniceconnected.it

Thanks for the additional info. How would we know which of the 3 piers to go to at St Marks?:confused:

I don't know when your day will start. It took me from 10AM until about 4PM to see the 2 islands AND Torcello . Torcello has the oldest church in the lagoon with great mosaics. It is reached by a short ferry across the water from Burano.

I went there first. Came back to Burano for lunch and then made my way to Murano.

So are you saying you left the ship at 10am and arrived back at the ship at 4pm?

How much time did you spend on each island?

Edited by Freckles_51

Thanks for the additional info. How would we know which of the 3 piers to go to at St Marks?:confused:

They are all well marked in English and Italian. You should invest in a decent guide book. It will make your trip a lot easier and enjoyable. We used Rick Steves' It was OK but the maps leave a bit to be desired. Try several out from your library.

Please tell me about the glass factory in Murano. Do you need tickets to go inside? Can you buy pieces of glass fromt he factory. Also, on Burano, is there a specific place to see the lace bieng made or just a lot of small shops? I appreciate any information on these two islands.

Please tell me about the glass factory in Murano. Do you need tickets to go inside? Can you buy pieces of glass fromt he factory. Also, on Burano, is there a specific place to see the lace bieng made or just a lot of small shops?

There are several glass factories on Murano, many of them have glass blowing demonstrations and all of them sell a wide variety of glass objects, from inexpensive small pieces to very high end works of art.

There is a glass museum on Murano that you may want to visit, as long as you're not there on Wednesdays when it is closed.

Glass museum information: http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?pid=100&musid=12&sezione=musei

On Burano there is a lace museum, however, according to the web site it is closed until October 2010. We were able to watch lace makers at work there.

Lace museum information: http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?musid=13&sezione=musei

I have been told that the best prices on Murano glass can be found at shops in the Jewish ghetto.

Can anyone verify this?

This sounds like a rumor that would have been started by shop owners in the Jewish Ghetto where there are not that many great shops. You also need to keep in mind that there is probably more counterfeit Murano Glass (often made in Eastern Europe or China) sold in Venice than the real thing so you need to be careful and only deal with reputable merchants.

Hank

How do you know the 'reputable' merchants? Do they have some kind of official seal in the window or anything like that?

Good question, I wish I had an answer for you. I think I just got lucky - I wandered in and out of shops, and fell in love with some stemware in one place. I paid about $400 (it was in lira in those days ... 2001) for eight champagne glasses, which the shop only made to order. They told me they woudl be shipped directly to my home in the States when they were done. As promised, about six weeks later, a box arrived with eight incredible glasses. I figured that if anything went wrong, I'd let American Express deal with it (the card I'd charged it all on), but it all went according to plan ... maybe just dumb luck.

Edited by euro cruiser