Leaving from Port Everglades. Pack diapers and wipes or buy them near the port

luvmy2babies

We are sailing our of Port Everglades in June. My son will be 6 months old so we'll be traveling with diapers, wipes and formula.

We have only cruised with our daughter at age 4. Any time we traveled before she was toilet trained I packed diapers/pull-ups and wipes.

I was originally (and still may) pack diapers and wipes at home. But with everything else we'll need including life jackets for my children, I'm concerned about space. Our airline doesn't charge for your first checked bag (thankfully) but will for your 2nd.

What has worked for others? Do you pack your diapers in your luggage or buy near port? I guess if we take a taxi from the airport (which seems to be the transportation people recommend) we can ask the driver to stop on the way. What stores are there? I can see on the port map I looked at there are stores but can't tell which ones. I'd like to know for budgeting purposes. I figure I'll I pay extra for the store's close proximity to the port anyway, but we all know there's a difference between buying diapers at Target and say CVS or Walgreens. Thanks.

You'll also pay more for the taxi to wait so figure that in too. Personally, I'd pack them. If they are loose you can pack them around things, side pockets etc. Why hassle it if you don't have to? Is the cost of the waiting taxi going to out weigh the price of the extra suitcase? With kids, someone will have to wait in the car with the kids while you run into the store too.

For a 6th month old, you'll need more diapers than you can fit in the "odd" spaces in your luggage!

Each ticketed person on the plane is allowed a carry-on, even if they aren't actually carrying it....(I'm thinking of your daughter)....pack one bag with nothing but the "baby" stuff...and carry it on the plane!

You should be able to have 3 carry-ons and 3 checked bags....

Sounds as if you are arriving the same day your ship leaves. I like to be prepared, so I'd never count on having enough time in that situation, so I'd pack the diapers, if at all possible. All ticketed people can take one carryon and one personal item on the plane, so that's at least a 22" bag for each person right there, plus their personal item. You can have a diaper bag for the baby, and you know you can cram a lot of diapers in there!

In addition, you will get three free checked bags. Can you fit it all in doing it that way?

Why are you bringing life jackets?

Packing them it is...thanks. I was trying to limit what we have to carry me having the baby and stroller and dh having a bad back. I'll take an extra carry-on that has wheels so dh can carry it. Dd will have her backpack and could possibly carry something else super small, but I'm only going to have her carry her backpack. Since dh will let us off at the airport terminal, she will also pull her own luggage until it's checked. That's big for her. We haven't traveled much the last 2 years. This will be her first big trip walking. She's almost 7 and looked at me funny when I reminded her that her stroller days were over even though she hasn't been in one in since she was 4.

As to the life jackets I don't figure the cruiseline will have them in infant size. Plus on our last cruise (also Royal Caribbean) there was no child-size life jacket in the cabin for dd. I know they must have them with all the children on board, but I let them know before and after the life-jacket drill the first day, and two other occassions after that and it never did show up. I also want them to have them if we take any water transportation (like a water taxi) and I want them for our beach day. Plus, some friends (the children's Godparents and their children) will be on the trip and I want dd to be able to go in the pool with their family (mom, dad, dd16 and ds20) and not have to be held the whole time. They said they'd help me since ds can't go in the pool, but I want to make it easy for them.

One more question. Has anyone traveled with a large canister of powdered formula in their carry-on unopened? TSA website says they prefer you only bring enough formula/baby food to get to the destination, but I'd rather have the formula with me if I can.

One more question. Has anyone traveled with a large canister of powdered formula in their carry-on unopened? TSA website says they prefer you only bring enough formula/baby food to get to the destination, but I'd rather have the formula with me if I can.

I do not believe that TSA has any regulations against powders of any kind. This should not be a problem. They are talking about liquid formula.

^I have travelled with cans and cans of liquid and powdered formula, never a problem. A few times they'll ask you where you're going or 'why do you need so much', to which I respond, "You never know what will happen, what if we're stuck on the tarmac for 8 hours, I'd rather be prepared" and then they always nod in agreement and let me through!

As to the life jackets I don't figure the cruiseline will have them in infant size. Plus on our last cruise (also Royal Caribbean) there was no child-size life jacket in the cabin for dd.

We have done 5 cruises with an infant/toddler and have always gotten an appropriate live preserver for our daughter. On HAL they pulled us aside on boarding and got our cabin number and one was waiting in the cabin for us. On Princess the cabin steward brought one after he came in to introduce himself.

We always fly in a couple days in advance so generally brought enough diapers etc. on the plane to get us through a few days and then bought the rest of what we needed once we got to our destination. We bring an empty duffle bag along and then just pack that full of diapers and wipes and check it onto the ship. If you are flying in the same day though I would try to pack everything you need so you don't have to worry about finding a store and rushing to get on the ship.

We have done 5 cruises with an infant/toddler and have always gotten an appropriate live preserver for our daughter. On HAL they pulled us aside on boarding and got our cabin number and one was waiting in the cabin for us. On Princess the cabin steward brought one after he came in to introduce himself.

We always fly in a couple days in advance so generally brought enough diapers etc. on the plane to get us through a few days and then bought the rest of what we needed once we got to our destination. We bring an empty duffle bag along and then just pack that full of diapers and wipes and check it onto the ship. If you are flying in the same day though I would try to pack everything you need so you don't have to worry about finding a store and rushing to get on the ship.

Thanks. I know they should have it and probably did, but I asked them 4 times and never got it. Hopefully they have it in our cabin this time. I still want one to use off the ship and in the pool though.

It would be nice to fly in the day or two before and I'm almost envious of the people who do. It would help me relax a little more...not having to worry about whether something happens with the flight or anything. It's just not an option for us. We were fortunate enough though as we were with our last cruise to get a non-stop flight from here to Florida. It is scheduled to leave here at 9:30 am and land at FLL at 11:30, so at least we only have one flight to worry about.

Thanks. I know they should have it and probably did, but I asked them 4 times and never got it. Hopefully they have it in our cabin this time. I still want one to use off the ship and in the pool though.

It would be nice to fly in the day or two before and I'm almost envious of the people who do. It would help me relax a little more...not having to worry about whether something happens with the flight or anything. It's just not an option for us. We were fortunate enough though as we were with our last cruise to get a non-stop flight from here to Florida. It is scheduled to leave here at 9:30 am and land at FLL at 11:30, so at least we only have one flight to worry about.

Definitely bring your own life vests if you are going to use the off the ship.

As far as flying we are a 6+ hour flight away from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale so for us same day flights aren't really even an option. With a two hour flight I think I might fly same day as well. Hotels have always been a pain with our daughter, but she does great once on the ship. Enjoy your trip!

On RCCl you can order pre order diapers. It cost a little bit more than buying them at Wal-Mart, but not much. Enfamil makes pre measured packs of formula. We found these to be much more convenient for traveling than bringing a can.

On RCCl you can order pre order diapers. It cost a little bit more than buying them at Wal-Mart, but not much. Enfamil makes pre measured packs of formula. We found these to be much more convenient for traveling than bringing a can.

Yes, those pre-measured formula packs are great. That plus I would recommend using bottles with disposable liners - really cuts down on the amount of time spent at the sink washing bottles.

Just to give you an idea, this is how close the airport is to Port Everglades...Try to get a seat on the right (starboard) side of the plane, as they usually land from over the ocean. And try to be far back so the wing does not obstruct your view...

BG-51.jpg

EM

Archived