Liquor on lately???

Crusin-Suzan

I don't think that it's fair to compare a cruise line's rules to a society's laws. Even so, laws are temporary (most of them, anyway.) They can be changed. Sometimes it's OK to break them. After all, at one time it was illegal for women to vote and legal to have separate restrooms for people of separate races. You think society should obey laws like that?

We still have laws today which our descendants will ridicule us for. I'll leave it up to your imagination to decide which laws those are.

About smuggling - I'm the kind of person who likes to drink in the room with DW and relax while getting ready for dinner. I do NOT like to drink in bars and I usually don't drink during the day, so no drinking by the pool for me.

I would totally resent being charged by the cruise line for the "priviledge" of having drink in my cabin. I'll do whatever the sam he11 I please in my room, as long as it does not interfere with anyone else. And I don't give a darn about whether or not the cruise line makes a profit or not on alcohol sales. That is totally silly.

I don't think that it's fair to compare a cruise line's rules to a society's laws. Even so, laws are temporary (most of them, anyway.) They can be changed. Sometimes it's OK to break them. After all, at one time it was illegal for women to vote and legal to have separate restrooms for people of separate races. You think society should obey laws like that?

We still have laws today which our descendants will ridicule us for. I'll leave it up to your imagination to decide which laws those are.

About smuggling - I'm the kind of person who likes to drink in the room with DW and relax while getting ready for dinner. I do NOT like to drink in bars and I usually don't drink during the day, so no drinking by the pool for me.

I would totally resent being charged by the cruise line for the "priviledge" of having drink in my cabin. I'll do whatever the sam he11 I please in my room, as long as it does not interfere with anyone else. And I don't give a darn about whether or not the cruise line makes a profit or not on alcohol sales. That is totally silly.

You speak for the silent majority !!!

If you saw the program "Cruise Inc." you would know that NCL has a certain amount of money that it needs for each passenger to spend on booze in order for the cruise to net a profit for them. I don't recall the actual amount, but they have it down to the penny. So yes, this does affect their bottom line. Personally, I don't smuggle booze. If I can afford the cruise, I can afford the coin to get buzzed.

NCL "needs" each passenger to spend a certain amnt on booze? So then I'm back to the old argument--if someone obeys the rules/law and doesn't smuggle--BUT also doesn't buy drinks for whatever reason--then they are equally wrong as far as NCl is concerned.

I don't "need" to subsidize ANY cruise line. My contract with the cruise line is I pay my fare, port charge, taxes and DSC and I get a cruise. period. And if that's all I do, am I wrong? No smuggling, just watching my budget!

NCL "needs" each passenger to spend a certain amnt on booze?

On average, yes that is the plan. But individually, no, of course not. Some people choose not drink. Others cannot drink due to being too young, too old, or medical problems or religions beliefs.

In my opinion, drinkers today who patronize bars on a ship are subsidizing the people who do not drink. I'd rather not pay for Mr. or Mrs. NonDrinker to have a cheaper cruise, thank you very much!

NCL "needs" each passenger to spend a certain amnt on booze? So then I'm back to the old argument--if someone obeys the rules/law and doesn't smuggle--BUT also doesn't buy drinks for whatever reason--then they are equally wrong as far as NCl is concerned.

I don't "need" to subsidize ANY cruise line. My contract with the cruise line is I pay my fare, port charge, taxes and DSC and I get a cruise. period. And if that's all I do, am I wrong? No smuggling, just watching my budget!

Maybe I worded this wrong. The point is that NCL like all cruiselines has a certain number that it has to hit as far as liquor sales are concerned for each cruise to be profitable. They can break it down to an exact number for the amount of passengers sailing on each cruise (ie booze total per passenger). Certainly a passenger that spends money on drinks and other items is much more valuable to them than one who doesn't. I'm not directing this at you, just saying in general.

This alcohol smuggling, breaking laws and being a cheerleader post has just put me a spot, I just watched a movie on HBO and I don't have any movie channels, in the morning I think I will write Time Warner a check for $4.99 just to keep me honest. I could add Boy scout to the list.

John Edwards --- et al.

“Et al.’ is a scholarly abbreviation of the Latin phrase et alia, which means “and others.” It is commonly used when you don’t want to name all the people or things in a list, and works in roughly the same way as “etc.”

I know what et al means....:rolleyes:

People tend to argue about money needs to be spent on booze like it is the end all. While it's true that make money off of it, it's not the largest part. According to the documentary on the Pearl, 75% of their money comes from the cost of booking. The other 25% is split between everything else, when you consider booze with shore excursions, specialty dining, gift shop, % of profit from shore stores, etc... The alcohol does not make much of their money.

Also it's not stealing, and those of you that say it is are over dramatic. Stealing would be if I sneak past the bartender and take a bottle off the shelf.

People tend to argue about money needs to be spent on booze like it is the end all. While it's true that make money off of it, it's not the largest part. According to the documentary on the Pearl, 75% of their money comes from the cost of booking. The other 25% is split between everything else, when you consider booze with shore excursions, specialty dining, gift shop, % of profit from shore stores, etc... The alcohol does not make much of their money.

Also it's not stealing, and those of you that say it is are over dramatic. Stealing would be if I sneak past the bartender and take a bottle off the shelf.

Exactly!!

And the bit about the 25% underscores my point that if people look at smuggling as anything more than "breaking the rules" --ie putting smugglers down for breaking the rules is one thing. But--and this is stated above--if you are going to make a big deal about revenue NCL loses because smugglers presumably drink their smuggled booze rather than NCL's--the once again you also have to include the passengers that DON'T break rules in this group--the ones who LEGALLY bring on sodas, bottled water, etc; the ones who book their own excusions rather than with the cruiseline, the people who don't shop at NCl & NCL-sanctioned shops--even someone like me who buys an unlimited international data plan from Verizon, and uses that instead of the ship's expensive and limited WiFi. This boils down to every cruiser who buys from a vendor other than NCL while on a cruise. That's exactly what the above statement says "The other 25% is split between everything else, when you consider booze with shore excursions, specialty dining, gift shop, % of profit from shore stores, etc... The alcohol does not make much of their money."

Hey, I understand rules...but when you are charging 60% more on board then we would pay at home, I think giving rule breaking a shot is warranted. We packed boxed wine in the luggage and 4 listerine bottles full of our favorite liqour in our carry ons( a little yellow or blue food dye did the trick). We sailed right through and easily saved a few hundred dollars in doing so. Also FYI.. if you are a beer drinker...draft beer comes in 20 ounce glasses for the same price as a 12 ounce bottle. Sorry we broke the rules, but I think charging what they do should be illegal!!!

ok, over dramatic, proabably, but most of us are trying to explain how we feel. As for the documentary on the Pearl, maybe I didn't see the same one you did, but I can assure you, 75% of the profit does not come from the price of the cruise. Just think about this for a minute: cruising the west coast in April: an inside cabin is $399 per person (this is not considering any taxes) Out of that NCL is paying salaries to the management, small salaries to the crew members, salaries to all the land based staff, commissions to agents, whether inhouse or otherwise, benefits for employees, overhead, and supplying food for the passengers and staff, not to mention debts and repairs on ships, etc. Are you really going to say the fare covers 75% of the profit..Think about this and then come back and say, yes, you think it does...HELLO

Nita

Fair enough. I have had several of my comments on similar threads pulled by the mods for what I am sure they feel are good and sufficient reasons.

This one may rapidly follow that path, but for the time being, here goes. One of the posts which they felt (in a PM actually) was off topic and inappropriate, was the National Council on Alcholism's warning signs of problem drinking. Why they felt that warning signs of alcoholism was off topic on a thread devoted to people explaining how important their drinks are to them, I do not pretend to understand.

It is a pretty well accepted fact (or theory if you prefer), that problem drinkers will seek out and spend time socializing with others who drink as they do, to minimize any guilt and to assure themselves that they are perfectly normal. They often shun or are extremely uncomfortable around those who drink moderately or not at all.

Fair enough. But eighty + percent of American Adults do NOT suffer from alcoholism, and would not likely give a thought to bringing alcohol to a venue where they have agreed in writing not to do so, and where it was readily available if they felt they would enjoy a drink or two.

Fair enough. I have had several of my comments on similar threads pulled by the mods for what I am sure they feel are good and sufficient reasons.

This one may rapidly follow that path, but for the time being, here goes. One of the posts which they felt (in a PM actually) was off topic and inappropriate, was the National Council on Alcholism's warning signs of problem drinking. Why they felt that warning signs of alcoholism was off topic on a thread devoted to people explaining how important their drinks are to them, I do not pretend to understand.

It is a pretty well accepted fact (or theory if you prefer), that problem drinkers will seek out and spend time socializing with others who drink as they do, to minimize any guilt and to assure themselves that they are perfectly normal. They often shun or are extremely uncomfortable around those who drink moderately or not at all.

Fair enough. But eighty + percent of American Adults do NOT suffer from alcoholism, and would not likely give a thought to bringing alcohol to a venue where they have agreed in writing not to do so, and where it was readily available if they felt they would enjoy a drink or two.

A well thought idea but calling the smugglers alcoholics will surely get this post removed. ;)

PE

One thing to do here is look at Celebrity - I was reading their site last night and they offer unlimited drinks packages for any guest at pretty reasonable rates ($22 per day for unlimited frozen/blended drinks for example). I'd sign up for that in flash and NCL would make money.

One thing to do here is look at Celebrity - I was reading their site last night and they offer unlimited drinks packages for any guest at pretty reasonable rates ($22 per day for unlimited frozen/blended drinks for example). I'd sign up for that in flash and NCL would make money.

Where did you find the $22 number. The numbers I am finding are $51.50 for liquor ($76 for premium) and $34.50 for beer. ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3566 ). I believe NCl has a package for unlimited drinks but it is limited to groups and ALL must purchase. I believe the price is less than $51.50pp/day.

PE

The frozen drink package seems like a great deal. But, I am pretty certain I could not drink frozen concoctions only for a week.

Agree - I'd have to add in the odd beer etc on top but even so it feels like a great deal... On a warm climate cruise (Versus Alaska) I maybe ok with just the frozen drinks.

Does NCL include the mixers (like Celebrity) if you get the bar set up?

Does NCL include the mixers (like Celebrity) if you get the bar set up?

No mixers included, we always bring our own and I really don't want anyhting in my Glenfiddich other than ice. I believe some of the premium liquors, that NCL offers, are cheaper than Celebrities one fixed price. And yes, NCL does have some higher priced premiums available that Celebrity does not even list. But, they do included glassware just lie Celebrity. :D

PE

Archived