Carnival - WereThey Being Sexist? You Be the Judge

Haysiedaze

Our family of 4 (DS 11, DD 10 (almost 11), DW and I) just returned from the 2/21/10 sailing of the Carnival Victory from San Juan. This was our first cruise. Overall I have to say this was the best vacation we have ever taken BUT I am very disappointed in one incident that almost ruined the whole trip. The issue borders on sexist behavior by Carnival and my son and I will be scarred for life because of it :mad:.

I have been the Cruise Critic Junkie in the family. I have spent hours on here reading post after post. I had dreams of achieving the holy grail of Cruise Critic Members. I wanted a 24kt Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick on my very first cruise. I had resigned myself to the fact I would not be participating in any of the trivia or hairy chest contests so I knew this was out of my reach but a guy can fantasize (yea we really can) can’t he :D ?

So when my wife and daughter decided to take part in the Digital Scavenger Hunt, my son and I went out to the deck to see what they had to do. The only 2 people with the fun ship person were the two of them. We walked over closer to see if it would be cancelled and there it was in all its glory, a Carnival Victory 24kt Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick. I said to my son we are getting in this. My goal is there for the taking. The cruise director said that with the mother/daughter vs. father/son competition the event could go on. I knew I had the ship layout and location info cold. My wife and daughter would be crushed. I would share in the glory with my son. How much better could that get :) . We quickly got my camera and off we went. There was a list of 22 items. We had 25 minutes. We being male started off for the first item (we did look through the other 21 to see if we could knock off 1 or 2 at one location). It was a glorious time. We found 20 of 22 items in 25 minutes. Plus in the list of 22 it said you got an extra point for each grand piano, we found 3. We ran into my wife and daughter a couple times and could tell they were lost (cue in “We Are the Champions” here please). This was too easy (a red flag if I ever saw one in hindsight).

So both teams arrive at the appointed time. The cruise activities person starts reviewing our pictures on our camera. He starts adding them up. We score 23 points out of a list of 22. Once in while my wife and daughter would comment, we didn’t know there was an Irish Lounge (we needed a picture of a shamrock) or I didn’t know you got extra points for more than one grand piano (music to our ears). The trophy presentation would be sweet :rolleyes: .

So on to my wife and daughters pictures and the sexist part. First picture is 6 people hugging each other, the words, “2 points for each person 12 points” comes out of the NOFUNSHIP cruise person's mouth. WHAT that’s cheating they had a different list then us, I scream to myself :eek: . Then 5 more points for a picture of 3 people doing see no evil, hear no evil and say no evil. Then I look at our list, there at the bottom of the paper after the list of 22 items is the “fine print” and a list of 5 bonus items. We were DOOMED. My 24kt Victory Ship on a Stick was sinking faster than the Titanic.

My contention is that men would not read the fine print (or at least the 2 on my team wouldn’t). We do things one step at a time. My wife and daughter read the whole sheet of paper. They found the high scoring bonus points that were easy to get. Think back to the test that starts with the words, “ 1. Read all the directions before completing the test”. One hour later the males are groaning when they see that last direction “sign the paper and turn it in, you do not have to do questions 2-99" The girls have been out on the playground laughing at us for the past 55 minutes.

Carnival knew this and they purposely made up the scavenger hunt list like this. We never stood a chance. So now my wife and daughter have put their stupid little gold plastic boat on a piece of plastic in my “manroom” on a shelf where my son and I have to look at it every day. I am now studying up on trivia and applying Rogain for Men on my chest in preparation for our next cruise…and there will be another cruise Carnival and it will be on your stupid ships because we loved our vacation in spite of the women’s lib meetings being held behind closed doors.

Only thing worse than the stupid plastic trophy is the presentation picture I had to take with my wife and daughter jumping for joy with smiles as big as could be on their faces..... ;) The same type of smile we see on all our faces in most every picture we took on our vacation.

Our family of 4 (DS 11, DD 10 (almost 11), DW and I) just returned from the 2/21/10 sailing of the Carnival Victory from San Juan. This was our first cruise. Overall I have to say this was the best vacation we have ever taken BUT I am very disappointed in one incident that almost ruined the whole trip. The issue borders on sexist behavior by Carnival and my son and I will be scarred for life because of it :mad:.

I have been the Cruise Critic Junkie in the family. I have spent hours on here reading post after post. I had dreams of achieving the holy grail of Cruise Critic Members. I wanted a 24kt Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick on my very first cruise. I had resigned myself to the fact I would not be participating in any of the trivia or hairy chest contests so I knew this was out of my reach but a guy can fantasize (yea we really can) can’t he :D ?

So when my wife and daughter decided to take part in the Digital Scavenger Hunt, my son and I went out to the deck to see what they had to do. The only 2 people with the fun ship person were the two of them. We walked over closer to see if it would be cancelled and there it was in all its glory, a Carnival Victory 24kt Gold Plastic Ship on a Stick. I said to my son we are getting in this. My goal is there for the taking. The cruise director said that with the mother/daughter vs. father/son competition the event could go on. I knew I had the ship layout and location info cold. My wife and daughter would be crushed. I would share in the glory with my son. How much better could that get :) . We quickly got my camera and off we went. There was a list of 22 items. We had 25 minutes. We being male started off for the first item (we did look through the other 21 to see if we could knock off 1 or 2 at one location). It was a glorious time. We found 20 of 22 items in 25 minutes. Plus in the list of 22 it said you got an extra point for each grand piano, we found 3. We ran into my wife and daughter a couple times and could tell they were lost (cue in “We Are the Champions” here please). This was too easy (a red flag if I ever saw one in hindsight).

So both teams arrive at the appointed time. The cruise activities person starts reviewing our pictures on our camera. He starts adding them up. We score 23 points out of a list of 22. Once in while my wife and daughter would comment, we didn’t know there was an Irish Lounge (we needed a picture of a shamrock) or I didn’t know you got extra points for more than one grand piano (music to our ears). The trophy presentation would be sweet :rolleyes: .

So on to my wife and daughters pictures and the sexist part. First picture is 6 people hugging each other, the words, “2 points for each person 12 points” comes out of the NOFUNSHIP cruise person's mouth. WHAT that’s cheating they had a different list then us, I scream to myself :eek: . Then 5 more points for a picture of 3 people doing see no evil, hear no evil and say no evil. Then I look at our list, there at the bottom of the paper after the list of 22 items is the “fine print” and a list of 5 bonus items. We were DOOMED. My 24kt Victory Ship on a Stick was sinking faster than the Titanic.

My contention is that men would not read the fine print (or at least the 2 on my team wouldn’t). We do things one step at a time. My wife and daughter read the whole sheet of paper. They found the high scoring bonus points that were easy to get. Think back to the test that starts with the words, “ 1. Read all the directions before completing the test”. One hour later the males are groaning when they see that last direction “sign the paper and turn it in, you do not have to do questions 2-99" The girls have been out on the playground laughing at us for the past 55 minutes.

Carnival knew this and they purposely made up the scavenger hunt list like this. We never stood a chance. So now my wife and daughter have put their stupid little gold plastic boat on a piece of plastic in my “manroom” on a shelf where my son and I have to look at it every day. I am now studying up on trivia and applying Rogain for Men on my chest in preparation for our next cruise…and there will be another cruise Carnival and it will be on your stupid ships because we loved our vacation in spite of the women’s lib meetings being held behind closed doors.

Only thing worse than the stupid plastic trophy is the presentation picture I had to take with my wife and daughter jumping for joy with smiles as big as could be on their faces..... ;) The same type of smile we see on all our faces in most every picture we took on our vacation.

And this is gonna scar you for life? Put on your big boy pants and get over it.

Yes, it's a sexist plot to render us men into babbling idiots....blblbllllbllblblb

Glad you had fun!!!!! I already know better than to get into a contest with my wife and daughter. They go into it thinking "Hmmm, there is not such thing as a fair contest, so let's make sure it's to our benefit". Therefore, they cheat whenever possible. But it's not cheating if they do it. It's only cheating if we do it....

Therefore, apply the Rogaine, study up on trivia, and try again next time.... The worst that can happen is you lose and have to be stuck on a cruiseboat, relaxing, partying, eating, etc..... Oh the horror...:eek::D:D:D

Sounds like you were outsmarted by your very smart wife and daughter. :D But since you sound like you're taking it like a man I'll commend your attitude for trying so hard. My husband also had this man dream last year on our cruise and found a way to outsmart us girls. He and my sons beat me and my daughter at a "dance" contest. If that wasn't sexist and rigged I don't know what was. So, as we sit staring at their man trophy Carnival is somewhat redeemed in our eyes thanks to your wife and daughter. Good luck to you next time!

Pretty funny! I do the same thing with my 6th graders each year. The first direction on a paper I give them is "read everything on this paper before you begin." Then there is a list of ten "things" they have to do, such as "stand up and sing happy birthday", say "woo woo" 3x, etc. The last thing on the page says "just sign your name to the top of the paper, sit back, and watch the fun!" It is hysterical seeing kids stand up and do things. This teaches them to follow directions - something your wife and daughter do quite well!!:D

And this is gonna scar you for life? Put on your big boy pants and get over it.

Somebody doesn't quite get sarcasm.....:rolleyes:

But thanks for the laugh! I was expecting some type of serious problem!

Archived