Cloth Diapers

~earthmama~

Wow, that is something that would be tough on a cruise. I remember when my son was 6 months old and we were using cloth diapers how difficult it became to contain everything in his diaper. I would not want to try it.

I think that would be very difficult but no impossible. :( One you would need a container for the room to keep the "stink" down to a minimum. Diapers are just that way. :) You would also have to make sure you had a cruise ship that actually had coin operated laundry available. You definately don't want to have to pay to have diapers washed or hand wash diapers every other day in the little sink. Also there is limited space to line dry in the cabins.

I think the previous poster who suggested a ship with self-service laundry is a great solution. Princess has coin operated laundries on many decks. I chose a cabin right across from one on a long cruse and it was very convenient. Brought rolls of quarters, a small bottle of concentrated detergent and a zip loc of oxyclean and did laundry quite a few times. Nice to be able to just step across the hall to take care of it. Princess has zero childcare for little ones though, so you may want to see if there's another option that has both.

Best,

Mia

Don't leave it on the balcony--with all the complaining about cigarette smoke, I can't IMAGINE dirty diapers "wafting" to your neighbors balcony!

Disposable diapers would certainly be MUCH easier.... and you will need a ship with a passenger laundry...and hope the machines don't break down!

Or, wait until potty-training is complete!

I use wet bags which contain diaper stink quite well. I could put it on the balcony!

Why would you put dirty diapers on the balcony? If you don't want to smell your kids dirty diapers.....why would you except someone else too?:mad: I think you need a lesson on baby cruise etiquette. 1. Don't put dirty diapers on your balcony. 2. Remove your child from the restaurant if it acting up. 3, Make sure you tip for your child. 4. Your child can not swim in the pools.

Maybe somebody can add to this list. Looks like Earthmama needs some help:rolleyes:.

That should bring utter joy and bliss to the neighbours.

Only possible option...lots of laundry and bag it in room I would think...tons of quarters needed and room close to laundry....:o.

Amen S & C.

It's no problem to keep it inside, the bags contain the odor extremely well (cloth does have near the odor of disposable). I was just thinking of space. I can wash them, I believe Carnival has a coin op. I will verify that.

Of course I would remove him from the dining rooms if he was fussy, same as on land, I think that is common decency anywhere.

I am aware he cannot use the pools which is fine.

I will absolutely tip for him, he is a paying passenger after all.

DS cannot use disposable diapers and I am not waiting until he is potty trained to take a cruise. (Besides this one is already paid for lol)

Why would you put dirty diapers on the balcony? If you don't want to smell your kids dirty diapers.....why would you except someone else too?:mad: I think you need a lesson on baby cruise etiquette. 1. Don't put dirty diapers on your balcony. 2. Remove your child from the restaurant if it acting up. 3, Make sure you tip for your child. 4. Your child can not swim in the pools.

Maybe somebody can add to this list. Looks like Earthmama needs some help:rolleyes:.

Oh come on! lets not get nasty. She has a real question and needs real answers, not someone questioning her cruise etiquette.

I think a line with coin op is just about the best suggestion.

Laundry...and it gets crowded in there...

$2 wash, $2 dry...sometimes $4 because the first time around doesn't quite get it there.

Pack lots of quarters and your own detergent packets unless you like feeding quarters to the detergent dispenser that usually doesn't dispense anything.

Good luck!

Have you tried contacting the Special Needs Dept? I would think they might be able to assist with this also, it is a specially need just like a food allergy. Maybe this is something they have dealt with in the past that they have a package deal to wash/dry everything for you while on board.

Just a thought

Have you tried contacting the Special Needs Dept? I would think they might be able to assist with this also, it is a specially need just like a food allergy. Maybe this is something they have dealt with in the past that they have a package deal to wash/dry everything for you while on board.

Just a thought

The laundry bags for this service are paper. When my girls had cloth diapers, paper bags weren't such a good idea.;)

The laundry bags for this service are paper. When my girls had cloth diapers, paper bags weren't such a good idea.;)

Yes I realize that the regular laundry bags are paper but there are a lot of kids out there that are allergic to the disposable diapers - They special needs department may have dealt with this in the past and have a different procedure and rules for dealing with a situation like this.

Thank god my kids weren't any of those that were allergic to the disposables :D

Honest it would not hurt to speak with special needs department. Also talk to you cabin steward. Cloth diapers are used all over the world so they are not a novelty item. It is just this topic has not come up before. Hope you report back on how it is handled, and have a wonderful time.

People travelled long before disposable diapers were invented. Yes they are eaiser to handle but also cost a blood blue fortune.

Great advice! Thanks!

Have a wonderful cruise...the mere fact you are making the inquiry evidence you care for all...and cruising is a community experience;).

It is one of those phases we have all been through...and are lucky at the end of life if we do not have too much of that too...;).

Not a mom here..but know kids need different options in that department...recently happened on a fancy store with all the new environmentally friendly baby stuff..I was blown away at some of the new options....:).

If you do end up doing your own laundry while on board, check out Purex laundry sheets. They are detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheet all in one. Just throw it in the wash and then transfer to the dryer. I think they make hypoallergenic ones if soap detergent is an issue for your little one. We use them when traveling with baseball and it is much more convenient than the liquid or powder soap. (and no fear of spilling all over the clothes in the suitcases!)

I would love to hear how this turns out in practice. We cloth diapered my son for his first two years, but on cruises we used disposables (we didn't have the allergy issue to confront). I hope it all turns out well for you and that you have a good cruise!

I've never used cloth diapers, so maybe this option is too expensive, but could you use cloth as you would disposables? Just throw away as you use them? I'm sure you'll have a great cruise, and make some wonderful memories!!!

Maybe it's YOU who needs the help.......like a lesson in posting etiquette.:rolleyes:

Archived