Tipping for perks

rollingstone

How do you handle the tips for your elite perks? I know what we do, but would like to know what others do.

Do you tip every time your laundry/cleaning is returned or just tip your cabin steward at the end of the cruise? How much?

Since afternoon tea & formal night canapes come via room service (not steward), do you tip? If so, how much?

People that I know have VERY varied opinions about this. Lets hear what people that I don't know have to say!

Thanks

How do you handle the tips for your elite perks? I know what we do, but would like to know what others do.

Do you tip every time your laundry/cleaning is returned or just tip your cabin steward at the end of the cruise? How much?

Since afternoon tea & formal night canapes come via room service (not steward), do you tip? If so, how much?

People that I know have VERY varied opinions about this. Lets hear what people that I don't know have to say!

Thanks

Lucky you guys! I know if we had the Elite perks we would tip the cabin steward at the end, like we do now if they go above and beyond, also do this with our wait staff in the dining room. As far as the room service goes we would tip each one as they get to keep those tips for themselves and they are the ones who deliver in your case the afternoon tea and canapes. I know when we get room service we always give $2-$3 we like to get breakfast in our cabin to enjoy on our balcony.

Cherie

We take mostly longer cruises, so I give the cabin steward extra at the end. I don't give a specific amount for the laundry service, but keep it in mind when determining the amount.

Formal night canapes - I usually give $1, if I am in the cabin when they are delivered. Often we come back and find them there.

Don't do the High Tea.

Thanks

We tip the suggested amounts and leave it at that. Laundry is not above and beyond, it's a perk I earned. Room service is included in the tipping pool so I don't care to double tip UNLESS it's a special request that caused some extra work. Most of these folks who work on ships are earning a salary that puts them in the wealthiest category of their native homelands but people tend to think they are indentured servants which they are not. Princess has calculated with much thought how much tip that should be done and I abide by their calculations.

We tip the suggested amounts and leave it at that. Laundry is not above and beyond, it's a perk I earned. Room service is included in the tipping pool so I don't care to double tip UNLESS it's a special request that caused some extra work. Most of these folks who work on ships are earning a salary that puts them in the wealthiest category of their native homelands but people tend to think they are indentured servants which they are not. Princess has calculated with much thought how much tip that should be done and I abide by their calculations.

We think the same thing. If they allowed us to set the tip, they'd probably do better. Since they automatically add a tip, then we leave it at that. So far, we haven't seen anything that's over and above.

It's the cabin steward who delivers the laundry/dry cleaning, so there is no need to tip him until the end of the cruise IF you wish to tip over and beyond the recommended amounts (which we always do anyway because service has been superb 99% of the time).

For room service, it is a different person that delivers it, so yes, we tip between $2-$5 per delivery depending on the quanity of the order.

Canapes are usually delivered when we're not in the cabin, so there is no one to tip.

You have earned the Elite status BUT it does cause extra work for the cabin steward. As for room service, they are not included in the tipping pool. I always tip extra at the end because of laundry service and other things. Room service is tipped at the door when delivered.

I've never been in the cabin when laundry/dry-cleaning was returned...who would you "tip"?

You pay for that service.....no need to tip anyone!

And the steward should be tipped for that service because it's extra work for him.

As far as tipping for things that you PAY for, don't you tip in a restaurant..after all, you PAID for the meal. Do you tip cab drivers-you PAID for the ride? Do you tip the porters-you PAID for the cruise?

To be honest, we start tipping right from the beginning, before we even get started with the cruise, and have found that everyone goes above and beyond what we ask for. On our last cruise, I saw the matre'd, gave him $50, asked him for a nice table for two. That night, we were in a beautiful spot with a table for four, but only the two of us. Also, every night, the chef would make us special appetizers that were waiting for us as soon as we sat at the table. If we wanted anything special we just had to tell the matre'd the night before and we would have it for dinner the next night. Was it worth it? Definitely

You have earned the Elite status BUT it does cause extra work for the cabin steward. As for room service, they are not included in the tipping pool. I always tip extra at the end because of laundry service and other things. Room service is tipped at the door when delivered.

We tip room service, but I thought they were included in the tipping pool too.

Thanks for the input. We have only done 2 cruises since our new "status". As most of you have said, we gave our steward extra at the end for his extra work, tipped the one (and only) time that we were in the room when the canapes arrived. No, we haven't had afternoon tea in the room but thought I'd throw it in anyway.

It's nice to know that we are not cheapskates and are not suckers!!!

Archived