Freedom of the Seas Heading Back to Port Canaveral!

Anyone know whats going on with Freedom of the Seas? It is heading back to Port Canaveral!

Mick

You following it too?? Strange - nothing mechanical she's making 18 knots. Maybe a medical emergency!!!

Ken

I am watching Port Canaveral to see if we have an ambulance come. It will still take quite a few minutes to get back to the port though.

Mick

Based on this morning's course and speed, about 45 minutes. Would have thought they might send a helicopter or pilot vessel by now???

Probably send helicopter if life or death but with them being so close to port! My nieces neighbor is a pilot for Port Canaveral, I always find out what happens after the fact. A couple months ago, he had an emergency to get the Carnival Pride into port for a medical emergency.

Mick

Looks they stopped at one of the piers closer to Jetty Park. They have some that the Big Red Boats used to use several years ago. I didn't think that they would be big enough to use but if they don't have to actually dock they could probably get someone off the ship onto an ambulance.

Mick

Watching with you guys. What in the world could be wrong? Do ships turn around like this often? Never really heard of such.

Yes, they do. Had to learn it first had with my own daughter. We were on Disney Magic back in 2005. They tried to dock the ship 3 times at Castaway Cay (where we would be taken by a smaller boat over to Nassau and then to a military base for a transport back to the states) - the ship kept turning sideways with the current. The captain determined that a helicopter would be too unsafe for us (my daughter was 8 months old) he felt she was more secure in the ship's medical center. So he took the entire ship to Port Canaveral where we were met by an ambulance.

So yes, they can and do turn ships around.

Archived