Bringing apple cider vinegar onboard

theshortchef

Last night during a bout of insomnia, I was reading through a thread about whether or not to smuggle alcohol onboard (yes, more boring than counting sheep) but I saw a post mixed in asking about bringing apple cider vinegar onboard.

I also use apple cider vinegar daily for acid reflux and brought it along with me last week. I brought a brand new, still sealed bottle mostly because I was more concerned with bringing an "odd" liquid and not as concerned with the smuggling alcohol bit. It was in my zipped up carry on bag.

The person at the security check stated to my husband as the bag went through the belt: I see that you have a bottle of alcohol in your case. He answered that no, it was apple cider vinegar for my wife etc ... the rep looked at us kinda funny and asked to please see it. We opened the case and showed him. He was fine with it, no problem, back into the case and off we went!

The vinegar helps your acid reflux? How much and how often and when do you take it?

Yes, it sure does help and is every bit as effective as Prilosec. From what I learned in researching it, you must use an organic and unpastuerized one; the brand I use is Bragg's ... easy to find in a health food store or Whole Foods etc.

I take it three times per day, just before meal time and use about 2 teaspoons mixed into a glass of water. Its important to rinse your mouth afterward with plain water since the vinegar can be rough on your teeth.

Long story short, I always prefer a homeopathic cure to a prescription but last summer the acid reflux was so bad that I caved in and used the Prilosec that was prescribed. After a couple months, my blood pressure shot up and the doc wanted me to start taking BP meds in addition to the other stuff. At that point, I dug in my heels and got serious in my research and learned that Prilosec is FULL of SALT so I stopped taking it immediately. That's when I learned about the apple cider vinegar and started using that instead. Works great and its good for you too!

Yes, it sure does help and is every bit as effective as Prilosec. From what I learned in researching it, you must use an organic and unpastuerized one; the brand I use is Bragg's ... easy to find in a health food store or Whole Foods etc.

I take it three times per day, just before meal time and use about 2 teaspoons mixed into a glass of water. Its important to rinse your mouth afterward with plain water since the vinegar can be rough on your teeth.

Long story short, I always prefer a homeopathic cure to a prescription but last summer the acid reflux was so bad that I caved in and used the Prilosec that was prescribed. After a couple months, my blood pressure shot up and the doc wanted me to start taking BP meds in addition to the other stuff. At that point, I dug in my heels and got serious in my research and learned that Prilosec is FULL of SALT so I stopped taking it immediately. That's when I learned about the apple cider vinegar and started using that instead. Works great and its good for you too!

Yep, these boards sure are helpful! I'll have to give this a try myself:).

I take Nexium daily with a cost of more than $175 a month. I never had a problem with higher than normal blood pressure until I started taking it several years ago. Based on your post, I wonder if there is a large amount of salt in Nexium as well. I am going to try apple cider vinegar. Thanks for the tip.

I take Nexium daily with a cost of more than $175 a month. I never had a problem with higher than normal blood pressure until I started taking it several years ago. Based on your post, I wonder if there is a large amount of salt in Nexium as well. I am going to try apple cider vinegar. Thanks for the tip.

Hello Acid Reflux cruisers....

Hells Bells I am a nurse and didn't know that prilosec is full of salt.... Yeah and have had to be on BP's for 9 years....:mad: I read about the Bragg's a week ago, bought it and took it three times...still on prilosec thou. I am cruising on the Gem on Saturday and am reluctant to go off the prilosec cold turkey, but definately think the Bragg's helped... Added honey, tried it cold and then hot. Think cold was easier to get down... BE BRAVE and swallow.. Can you imagine we may all get cured of of GERD... A nurse practitioner I know told me her 100 yo father ate dill pickles when he had stomach aches... See the vinegar helps with the acidity...

Wish me luck getting my Bragg's onboard....:)

Ann

Hello Acid Reflux cruisers....

Hells Bells I am a nurse and didn't know that prilosec is full of salt.... Yeah and have had to be on BP's for 9 years....:mad: I read about the Bragg's a week ago, bought it and took it three times...still on prilosec thou. I am cruising on the Gem on Saturday and am reluctant to go off the prilosec cold turkey, but definately think the Bragg's helped... Added honey, tried it cold and then hot. Think cold was easier to get down... BE BRAVE and swallow.. Can you imagine we may all get cured of of GERD... A nurse practitioner I know told me her 100 yo father ate dill pickles when he had stomach aches... See the vinegar helps with the acidity...

Wish me luck getting my Bragg's onboard....:)

Ann

Ann, there is no reason that you cannot take your Bragg's on board as it is not against any rule of any kind. I had no trouble whatsoever. I would take it in your carry on and tell the security rep what's up. My only concern bringing it last week was that it was an "usual" liquid and it might have raised a safety concern but we made sure to bring a new, sealed bottle and talk to the rep about it.

Best of luck with this method of controlling your GERD! It has worked wonders for me. Initially I found it a little difficult to take too but mixing it into a little cold water seemed easiest. Take a good deep breath before bringing it toward your face since I think the smell is somewhat intimidating. At this point, I am so thrilled with it that it doesn't bother me at all.

I presume it comes in containers small enough for airport security. Or do you get a note from your Dr. so you can bring it on as a med?

I do not know the answer to this. I have next to no experience with airport security but I do know that the rules differ airport vs cruise and I don't know how a doctor's note would or would not affect things. Only guessing here but I would think the bottle is larger than what is generally permitted these days for containers of liquid. The small bottle I brought on board ship was one pint (16 ounces). I rarely if ever fly (hate it!!!!) so I'm not up on the current rules. Since you would use approx 2 tablespoons of vinegar per day, let's say times 7 days, that would come out to less than one cup needed for a week's vacation.

Wonder if the pill form would be as effective?

You'd probably have to take a few more pills in order for it to be equivalent to 2 Tbsp. of vinegar and it would be more expensive of course but it would be convenient for one week or so.

Never tried (or even heard of) the pill version but that's not to say it isn't the real deal.

Just a reminder that its about 2 teaspoons per dose, 3 x per day giving you about 2 Tablespoons per day. Don't want anyone to try to do 2 tablespoons at one dose, much too much at once.

Thank you very much everyone. I take nexium once a day and recently found my blood-pressure was high and was put on cozaar. I don't have to pay for these medications since I am a Merck & co Retiree. In spite of that I feel anything natural has to be healthier.

I definetly will try the vinegar treatment and see what happens. Thank's again.

Thank you very much everyone. I take nexium once a day and recently found my blood-pressure was high and was put on cozaar. I don't have to pay for these medications since I am a Merck & co Retiree. In spite of that I feel anything natural has to be healthier.

I definetly will try the vinegar treatment and see what happens. Thank's again.

I really hope that this works for you. I do try not to be controversial on the boards but I am not a fan of our prescription happy society and I feel that often times, more harm than good is done with them. One drug leads to needing another to fix the side effects of the first one and then to another and another and next thing you know, you are on a dozen prescriptions and you are sicker than when you started.

Other natural things that are very good for high blood pressure are fresh garlic, hawthorne, cinnamon, calcium, and spinach.

Let's all get healthier together and cruise for many years to come :) !!

I switched from Prilosec to ACV about a month ago. I was having problems with "pins and needles" in my feet at night, also had high BP which started about the time I started taking Prilosec, now that I look back. It took about 4 -5 days to adjust to the ACV but now it's working well. My feet no longer tingle at night and in general feel much better. BP has decreased, also. I use both organic and the "cheap" store kind. I think the organic tastes better and also seems to work a little better, not totally sure. The cost difference is significant. I've read that the pills are a waste of money. Yes, I'll be the one digging through my luggage at the dock to transfer my ACV from the checked luggage to the carryon! Then be prepared to explain that it is NOT whisky...

I really hope that this works for you. I do try not to be controversial on the boards but I am not a fan of our prescription happy society and I feel that often times, more harm than good is done with them. One drug leads to needing another to fix the side effects of the first one and then to another and another and next thing you know, you are on a dozen prescriptions and you are sicker than when you started.

Other natural things that are very good for high blood pressure are fresh garlic, hawthorne, cinnamon, calcium, and spinach.

Wildly OT, apologies.

I generally agree with you. However I think it is very important that one keep in mind that "natural" product are drugs. In fact they are often the source or genesis of prescription medications. They do alter your body chemistry and may interact with medication and other substances one is already taking. I think it is good practice to always check with a pharmacist or doctor familiar with one's medical history before taking supplements or "natural" substances.

off topic but on topic - i would take a teaspoon or two of ACV in the mornings to help with joint and sciatic pain. never knew it would help with acid-reflux.

love these boards, learn something new everyday!

Thanks so much for this tip. I have HORRIBLE acid reflux, to the point I get heartburn from water without taking aciphex. My husband and I are considering getting pregnant and one worry was what to do about me not being able to take aciphex for 9 months... I'm definitely going to try this out, and hope it does work for me.

I was one of the "lucky" people that got to do the aciphex trial study and I hated it. It made mine worse. I had to drop out and go back to my nexium. wish I had known while I was on my cruise last year about ACV. I suffered for a whole week until we got home.

Archived