First Time on Princess: Questions

pcrum

We have done NCL, Disney, Carnival and HAL, but this is our first time on Princess. Got a great last minute deal on the 3/28/10 eastern route on the Emerald Princess. Just a few questions for Princess veterans:

--Is there anything not to miss on Princess Cay? Are the beach chairs plentiful?

--Any special place on the ship not to miss? I think I remember reading where Princess has a lounge on the top floor similar to the Crow's Nest on HAL...is this a nice place for a night cap?

--How does the buffet compare to other lines?

--For the first time (and because we booked so late), we have a guarantee cabin. When do you find out your cabin number...I assume it's in time to print off your luggage tags so your luggage makes it to your cabin!

--Any entertainers on the Emerald Princess not to miss? We favor Broadway type production shows!

--Is there a piano bar like on Carnival?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I have searched for Emerald reviews and read the most recent, but there is not a lot out there about this ship!

Thanks!

We have done NCL, Disney, Carnival and HAL, but this is our first time on Princess. Got a great last minute deal on the 3/28/10 eastern route on the Emerald Princess. Just a few questions for Princess veterans:

--Is there anything not to miss on Princess Cay? Are the beach chairs plentiful? The best snorkeling is around the pier with a gazebo on the end...the fish are fed there, and know where to hang out! However, you can also snorkel around that point heading north...there are stairs to exit the beach on that end over the rocks. Beach chairs are very plentiful...just walk to either end of the beach.

--Any special place on the ship not to miss? I think I remember reading where Princess has a lounge on the top floor similar to the Crow's Nest on HAL...is this a nice place for a night cap? Skywalkers Bar on Deck 18 aft is probably similar, although part or all of it is closed except for Elite/Platinum and Suite passengers each evening until 7:30pm or so. There are other great drinks lounges too, most on Deck 7...we like the Wheelhouse Bar. Our favorite quick dining choice is the International Cafe on Deck 5...check it out for breakfast and from 11pm till late for salads, sandwiches, quiches and yummy desserts.

--How does the buffet compare to other lines? It's decent. The best part of the buffet is the Cafe Caribe behind the Horizon Court (in the middle at the very back of the ship on Deck 15). It offers continental breakfast, and themed lunches and dinners.

--For the first time (and because we booked so late), we have a guarantee cabin. When do you find out your cabin number...I assume it's in time to print off your luggage tags so your luggage makes it to your cabin! Can't answer this...the one time with book GTY we left for the airport still not knowing our cabin number.

--Any entertainers on the Emerald Princess not to miss? We favor Broadway type production shows! Since you are new to Princess, you should love the production shows. They tend to be presented for several years.

--Is there a piano bar like on Carnival? Crooners, Deck 7 midship on the port side.

Check out the sauna and steam room in each locker room in the Lotus Spa area (free), and the Terrace Pool (adults only) on the back of Deck 15. There is a nice hot tub on Deck 17 aft (starboard side) with great views during sailaways.

"Skywalkers Bar on Deck 18 aft is probably similar, although part or all of it is closed except for Elite/Platinum and Suite passengers each evening until 7:30pm or so..."

We have previously sailed with HAL and Celebrity, and are considering a Princess cruise. I have not noticed any special lounge privilege in the listing of suite amenities. Would you explain this for me please? :) Thank you!

"Skywalkers Bar on Deck 18 aft is probably similar, although part or all of it is closed except for Elite/Platinum and Suite passengers each evening until 7:30pm or so..."

We have previously sailed with HAL and Celebrity, and are considering a Princess cruise. I have not noticed any special lounge privilege in the listing of suite amenities. Would you explain this for me please? :) Thank you!

It's a 2-hour cocktail/hors d'oeuvres thing each night for those who are Elite (sometimes Platinum) cruisers and those in suites (although I didn't know about the suite people having access but I trust Ms. Yellow Snorkling Penguin!). They have a $5 drink of the day and a special appetizer each evening, as well as cheese plates and so forth. Some of the choices I recall include margaritas, cosmopolitans, 20-year old port, rob roys, and giant shrimp, smoked salmon, and lamb thingies. You'll receive an invitation and a list of each evening's drink/hors d'oeuvres in your cabin if you're qualified to attend.

OP, another bar which is really nice (nicer than Skywalkers, in my opinion) is Adagio, which is aft on Deck 16, next to Sabatini's. It's always very quiet, there's a piano player, and usually some savory tidbits: cheese straws, stuffed olives, etc. I love Adagio!

When you get to the port, there will be an employee with a list of cabins and some luggage tags. Just ask what cabin and then you can write out the cabin number with that Sharpie or market you've brought with you. You can also print out the luggage tags online and have all the info written on, except for the cabin number, and just add it at the port.

There's still plenty of time before your cruise for your cabin assignment to show up in the Cruise Personalizer. Ask your travel agent if you can't find it.

The Cruise Personalizer is also where you can reserve shore excursions and spa appointments. We've never done the latter. I know that with shore excursions, you have usually until the day before to change your mind. And you don't get charged for them until after the change deadline. The cost is posted to your shipboard account.

You can also let Princess know if you'll be celebrating any special occasions--birthdays, anniversaries, etc.--on the Cruise Personalizer. Plus it's the place to let them know about any special dietary and medical requirements.

If you want a bit of something off the beaten' path in Princess Cays, take a right when you get on land and keep walking. Have water shoes, unless you find the path/road about 50-100 yrds from shore.

There are a few grave markers and it also a very tranquil part of the island.

Take a read if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&page=9

And enjoy the cruise- that should be pretty easy to do.:)

On the Emerald - find your way to Princess Links on a nice day at Sea. What a View!!!! Bit tricky to find you way up top but it is worth it.:D

What is Princess Links? Is this a secret deck like they have on Carnival?

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!! I am really looking forward to trying a new line!!

What is Princess Links? Is this a secret deck like they have on Carnival?

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!! I am really looking forward to trying a new line!!

Princess links is the mini golf course. It's located on top of Skywalkers. It's not terribly tricky to get there, but you do have to be persistent. The view is nice, although when in port, you get a better view from atop the bridge. That's a little tougher to get to. You have to access it through the front of the Lido Deck, inside. You go through two doors that don't look like you're supposed to go through them.

Archived