Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Hi 138 east, seems like you are the point person. We will be traveling the opposite direction on Sunday, April 25th from the pier to LGA for a 5:00pm flight. I understand that I can take a cab to the light rail station, however which one? Do we change lines in Hoboken to get into Manhattan? Where in Manhattan does the train go? And where is the Port Authority located, it's been far too many years since I've been into NYC?

Thanks for all your help.

Dona

You will have to pay for a cab (about $30.00 plus tip) to get from Manhattan to LGA. There is NO readily available public tranport WITHOUT taking buses/trains, etc. There is an airport bus from the Port Authority to LGA, but it is $12.00pp.

You will have to take a cab to the light rail (Hoboken light rail), then transfer to PATH, then take a cab to LGA. I might have missed one of the pieces. By the time you pay for TWO cabs, light rail and PATH for at least 2 people, you have spent just about as much money as booking a car service or shuttle DIRECT from the port to LGA. And you certainly have put up with MUCH more hassle than I would be willing to put up with. JMHO.

You will have to pay for a cab (about $30.00 plus tip) to get from Manhattan to LGA. There is NO readily available public tranport WITHOUT taking buses/trains, etc. There is an airport bus from the Port Authority to LGA, but it is $12.00pp.

You will have to take a cab to the light rail (Hoboken light rail), then transfer to PATH, then take a cab to LGA. I might have missed one of the pieces. By the time you pay for TWO cabs, light rail and PATH for at least 2 people, you have spent just about as much money as booking a car service or shuttle DIRECT from the port to LGA. And you certainly have put up with MUCH more hassle than I would be willing to put up with. JMHO.

Thankx for the info here.

Any one tried the shared ride from the airport La Gu to pier?

aprox cost?

Thanks 138east for the great info. Someone had mentioned to me that I should go to Exchange Place Path Station to pick up the light rail from Cape Liberty to get into Manhattan. Is that a question of security? Thanks also for the info on Schwartz, if all goes well we can get lunch in Manhattan before heading out to LGA and not have to worry about luggage.

Dona

You can get Path at Exchange Place but you should do that only if you want to go to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan. Hoboken is better for taking Path to midtown Manhattan.

Thankx for the info here.

Any one tried the shared ride from the airport La Gu to pier?

aprox cost?

You will have to contact Super Shuttle or Airlink.

I am going to make a guess that it will be costly from LGA. From Manhattan it will be cheaper BUT you have get from LGA to Manhattan which will cost $30-35.00 plus tip in a cab or $24.00 on the airporter bus. This trip can EASILY take 2 hours trying to use public transport and not a cab or shared shuttle.

AS 138east posted, if your plane is late, all bets are off using public transport. You may be paying for a VERY high priced taxi just to make your cruise.

I think they want to spend some time in Manhattan before they go to LGA for a late afternoon flight. They asked about PA, so I think they are going to take the bus to LGA.

Gets you close at a reasonable price and a reasonable transport. Otherwise, city bus or bus subway combination (which is a major hassle, IMHO)

http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=31

ok this is looking like a great option....

not sure if this is a stupid question but I get on this bus in La G airport and where would I get off ? I also assume I would take a cab after this to the Cape Liberty... Sorry I have only been to NY to change planes, never had the time for an extended visit.

Thankx

4canucks - give us more details about your trip. How many people are you? Are you planning to return to LaGuardia the same way on your return?

Just myself and husband. (mid 40's and active.) travel light...leaving kids at home.

Fly into La G from Detroit arrive at 11am...A Saturday.

on the day we sail. Want to head directly to the pier to enjoy the ship.

Fly back the same day the ship disembarks..Thursday..

.We leave LaG at 4:30pm same day. This trip was booked on a whim as I got a cheap 19.00 flight from Detroit- La G...

If the flight is delayed I will hire a car and always have a plan B

Just thinking my flight across the country is looking cheaper than this guant to the pier...yiks..OH well ..lol

Thankx for the help.

ok this is looking like a great option....

not sure if this is a stupid question but I get on this bus in La G airport and where would I get off ? I also assume I would take a cab after this to the Cape Liberty... Sorry I have only been to NY to change planes, never had the time for an extended visit.

Thankx

I don't understand exactly what you are doing. But I THINK you are flying into LGA (arriving about 11AM), then have to board the ship the same day (by 3PM).

You MAY find it cheaper to just hire a car service to drive you to the port from LGA. NY taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you to Cape Liberty, so you will be negotiating to find one who wants to take a trip to NJ.

AND you will have already paid $12pp to get from LGA to Manhattan. So to save money, either get on public transport (the directions are in another post) OR you will have to hire a car service. From LGA, I am going to guess you will probably be able to get car service for about $110-120. Divide that by 4 people and the cost is reasonable and very close to bus/subway/lightrail/cab public transport option. You WILL have to make arrangements in advance and let them know you need a mini-van type for 4 people and luggage.

We were posting at the same time-forget the 4 people.

Maybe you can add this to your blog or get the Mods to make it a sticky. Pretty good info about getting from all NYC area airports to Manhattan. Some pretty good links about public transport and may be helpful to those not familiar with the NYC transport system.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/NYC_Airports_to_Manhattan_Transportation_FAQ

Maybe you can add this to your blog or get the Mods to make it a sticky. Pretty good info about getting from all NYC area airports to Manhattan. Some pretty good links about public transport and may be helpful to those not familiar with the NYC transport system.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/NYC_Airports_to_Manhattan_Transportation_FAQ

i think i can arrange that! thanks!:p

maybe the mods can sticky it too!

4canucks - IMO you cannot afford to mess around with public transportation if you are arriving at LGA at 11 am and must be at Cape Liberty by 2:30-3:00 pm for a 4 pm sailing. You are already cutting it close by arriving the same day. The prime objective is to not miss the sailing. If your flight is late, you have real problems if you do not have transportation in place. Book a car service from LGA to Bayonne. On your return trip you have all day to take public transportation back to LGA.

4canucks - IMO you cannot afford to mess around with public transportation if you are arriving at LGA at 11 am and must be at Cape Liberty by 2:30-3:00 pm for a 4 pm sailing. You are already cutting it close by arriving the same day. The prime objective is to not miss the sailing. If your flight is late, you have real problems if you do not have transportation in place. Book a car service from LGA to Bayonne. On your return trip you have all day to take public transportation back to LGA.

Yes it is looking that way!

Thankx for all the help.

Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for posting this thread!

My husband and I are flying into Newark at 7:30am on Saturday, April 24, for a cruise out on Bayonne on April 25. We are planning to spend the night at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth, NJ.

We want to first go to the hotel and then into New York City for the day. The hotel has said that if our room isn't ready, we can store our luggage there.

We have never been to NYC, but we think that we would like to go to the Empire State Building, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and maybe take a Circle Line tour. We would be very open to suggestions though, if anyone has any better ideas of how to spend our day. We're planning on returning to the hotel late in the afternoon since we'll be very tired after getting up at 4:00am to catch our plane!

Please advise us, as best you can, as to transportation into NYC, as well as around the city. Money is an object as we are both school teachers!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lucy......

the easiest would be to take the train into NYC. You could either cab it to Newark Penn station and get NJ transit....or go back to the airport on the shuttle and get the train there. Fare from the airport is 15.00 PP each

way...from newark penn is $7

(it costs more from the airport as part of the fare is a fee to use the monorail to access the station...)

http://www.njtransit.com

you could also get on the PATH trains which would be cheaper...

http://www.panynj.gov/path....

the MET is up town at 82nd and 5th

you'd go back to the 33rd street station, hop a 6 train to 86th and Lex (looks like from the map) and walk over to 5th and back to the museum...(it's pretty big...you could probably get off at 77th too..)

http://www.mta.info

get off at 33rd street and walk to the ESB..you would switch at Journal Square for a train to 33rd street. This is the cheapest option public tranist wise...

cab from your hotel to Newark Penn is probably 15 bucks or so

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/general_information/

as for the circle line....i think you are going to have to think about what you want to do....the met could take hours....

http://www.circleline42.com/site/default.aspx

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/index.asp

there are 2 sets of circle line cruises...one is downtown and one is midtown i believe....

again depends on what you want to do.....do you want to eat in the city??? you want to allow about an hour each way getting to and from....

you might want to look into the citypass...might save you some money

http://www.citypass.com/new-york/compare?mv_source=circleline

Archived