Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Lucy - we had someone stay at the Crowne Plaza and take the bus to NY. The bus stop is 1-2 blocks from this hotel. Bus 112 - leaves at 9:42 am and gets to Port Authority at 10:11. These buses leave hourly on Saturdays. Fare will be $5.25. IMO it's your very cheapest option. If you are seniors, it's even less.

Would you believe that for seniors it's $2.35? Unbelievable. NJ Transit fares are going up - 10% for buses and 25% for trains. That's really going to change the economics of a day in New York from the Newark Airport area.

Would you believe that for seniors it's $2.35? Unbelievable. NJ Transit fares are going up - 10% for buses and 25% for trains. That's really going to change the economics of a day in New York from the Newark Airport area.

actually they may not go up that high...the protests seem to have gotten somewhere....looks like MAYBE only a 10% but with this dude in the statehouse who knows.....

as long as it is a safe walk.....

Thank you both so much. At least, thanks to your advice, it sounds like getting into NYC won't completely overwhelm us!

So, since this is our first trip to New York, and with only the one day there, would you recommend that we skip the MET and do a Gray Line or Circle Line tour?

Thanks again!

Hello Ladies ... I've tried searching but no luck. We don't want to go to NY. We are coming up by Amtrak for the Explorer in a couple weeks. What is the best way to get to the port? I'm thinking a cab form EWR to the port (and back again) is around $50? Should I try to contact a service? I believe the Amtrak station is at (or very near) the airport.

Hello Ladies ... I've tried searching but no luck. We don't want to go to NY. We are coming up by Amtrak for the Explorer in a couple weeks. What is the best way to get to the port? I'm thinking a cab form EWR to the port (and back again) is around $50? Should I try to contact a service? I believe the Amtrak station is at (or very near) the airport.

EWR? The airport? You can get off at Newark Penn Station train station (just purchase a ticket to that point) and get a car/cab from there. We took Amtrak Acela to Newark last month for our EOS cruise (we spent the night at the Hilton Penn Newark) and took a car from the hotel. The Hilton is right across the street from the train station. The hotel uses a car service instead of taxis. The doorman didn't particularly care for taxis. I think it was around $50. But, there are plenty of taxis at the train station if that's the way you go.

Yes, get off at NEWARK Penn station..not all Amtrak trains stop at EWR anyway and that's pointless....

Grab a cab should be 45-50 (car service would be around the same...)

Just allow plenty of time in case of wacky stuff on the NE Corridor..lots of signal problems that can foul up the trains.....i would allow at LEAST 2 hours for good ups....i would try to arrive at NWK Penn BY 10 AM.....even a little earlier..you can always grab a coffee and muffin from a bakery....(there are a couple in the station....)

Thanks Meg. We get to Newark at 9:35 and were planning to grab some stuff on our way. We just weren't sure the best way to get to the port. Thanks again.

there is a grocery store adjacent to the entrance to the pier...i think it's called north cove shopping center...there is a Stop n Shop (big) there..as well as a Dunkin donuts...

if you zoom in on the wendys and fool around with the map, you'll see how close it is....

you can't turn left into the shops from 440, have to make a right turn and do a 'jughandle' to get in.....the driver should be able to figure it out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wendy's+bayonne&sll=40.6684,-74.128447&sspn=0.034634,0.084543&ie=UTF8&hq=wendy's&hnear=Bayonne,+NJ&ll=40.667147,-74.107761&spn=0.008659,0.021136&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

I have a question regarding directions to the Bayonne Pier from Cape May, NJ. We intend to drive up the Garden State Parkway, but as we near NYC, it looks a little confusing as to the best way to go.

Also, parking? I have handicapped plates. Would it be better for my husband to drop me off in front of the embarkation building or to park and take the bus/shuttle back? I walk with one of those seated walkers, not real good at distances.

Finally, drive time from Cape May to Bayonne? We'd like to arrive in Bayonne around 12:30 to 1:00 PM.

Thanks so much for the info!

When you come up the parkway, you want to take the NJ Turnpike north. Follow the signs to exit 14A (not Exit 14) and get off in Bayonne. When you come through the toll booth, you go straight ahead up onto a ramp that curves left and then circles back. Keep bearing right until you come to the light at route 440, where you take a LEFT, stay LEFT, and go to the next traffic light where you make another LEFT. This will take you to the port.

Your husband can leave you off at the terminal. Even if you can manage with a walker, I would recommend asking for a wheelchair just to take any stress out of the situation. I think it's worth it for your own safety and comfort. Your husband can then drive the car to the parking and ask directions to the handicapped parking. You have to drive through the first parking area, make a left, go through the opening in the fence, and cross the access road to get to the handicapped parking. Once there, it will be a very very short walk for your husband back to the terminal.

You really want to consider arriving by 11 am for a 12 pm boarding. You will be one of the first folks on the ship and will have time to have a nice lunch before you can get in your cabin.

Hey all- great thread!

Quick question:

We're sailing out of Cape Liberty on April 25th. We have a limo to the pier and plan to arrive super early (on purpose... better safe than sorry;)). We'll likely arrive at the pier around 10:30am. Is there anything in the area that we can do to kill an hour or two (with all of our luggage!)? Maybe a coffee place, restaurant, etc.? I've never sailed out of Cape Liberty before- just curious. Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: Nevermind- I'm sorry... I just saw that this has already been asked and answered!

i would allow 2 and a half to 3 hours...google maps say 2 hours and 37 minutes...

they actually send you all the way up the parkway...but they send you onto staten island for some stupid reason..and have you pay a toll...:eek: (over the bridge...)

The GSP will run right into the NJ Tpke around Fords/South Amboy (where 440 also comes in...SKIP it...) You'll see signs for the turnpike..

I would allow 3 hours for traffic and the like...

I have a question regarding directions to the Bayonne Pier from Cape May, NJ. We intend to drive up the Garden State Parkway, but as we near NYC, it looks a little confusing as to the best way to go.

Also, parking? I have handicapped plates. Would it be better for my husband to drop me off in front of the embarkation building or to park and take the bus/shuttle back? I walk with one of those seated walkers, not real good at distances.

Finally, drive time from Cape May to Bayonne? We'd like to arrive in Bayonne around 12:30 to 1:00 PM.

Thanks so much for the info!

To add some detail the directions given in two the previous posts, from Cape May you will drive north on the Garden State Parkway to Exit 129. Exit and follow the signs to The New Jersey Turnpike, taking the Turnpike northbound.

You can follow the directions already given by "138east" once you are on the Turnpike.

I would allow three hours of driving time for the trip from Cape May to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal.

To add some detail the directions given in two the previous posts, from Cape May you will drive north on the Garden State Parkway to Exit 129. Exit and follow the signs to The New Jersey Turnpike, taking the Turnpike northbound.

You can follow the directions already given by "138east" once you are on the Turnpike.

I would allow three hours of driving time for the trip from Cape May to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal.

thanks...i'd forgotten the exit # and couldn't see it on the google map....

Came home from Bermuda on EOS today and I took notice of the shopping center (with the Dunkin Donuts) that is just beyond the port road. The name of the center is South Cove Commons.

thanks...i knew it was cove something...couldn't remember if it was north or south....

When we get off the ship on an upcoming Celebrity Summit cruise, is there some organized line for a taxi service to take us back to EWR or is it a crazy race to wave one down? Do the taxis keep coming in during disembarkation so that the wait is "reasonable"? Seems almost impossible to order a car service when disembarking since you never know when you will get off the ship until you are already off? How do you handle this?

When we get off the ship on an upcoming Celebrity Summit cruise, is there some organized line for a taxi service to take us back to EWR or is it a crazy race to wave one down? Do the taxis keep coming in during disembarkation so that the wait is "reasonable"? Seems almost impossible to order a car service when disembarking since you never know when you will get off the ship until you are already off? How do you handle this?

The taxis keep coming in (& leaving) throughout the disembarkation period. When you come out of the terminal after collecting your luggage, there will be a queue of people waiting for taxis... A dispatcher will walk along the line & ask where you want to go, and he will usher you into a cab in due course. The process can seem a little chaotic--the dispatchers I've encountered aren't known for their charm!--but it isn't quite a "crazy race," and you should be in your taxi and on your way within a half hour of exiting the terminal. At least that's been my experience at "Cape Liberty."

(Mind you, I always find it a bit of shock to come back to New Jersey after being pampered for a week or two on board the ship. It's an abrupt jolt to go from "Would you care for another drink, sir?" to "Hey, watch where ya goin!")

When you come out of the terminal after collecting your luggage, there will be a queue of people waiting for taxis... The process can seem a little chaotic--the dispatchers I've encountered aren't known for their charm!--but it isn't quite a "crazy race," and you should be in your taxi and on your way within a half hour of exiting the terminal.

Are the shuttle buses that are suppose to be there that charge $15. pp for transportatrion to the airport any less chaotic? We're thinking of using them in October.

Hi Everyone,

My gf and I will be driving from Cleveland, Ohio to Cape Liberty for a cruise aboard Explorer on 6-5-2010. I plan to arrive at the pier between 11 and noon so that I may take my time and board without frustration. Then eat lunch and relax. I'm wondering a couple things...

My GPS says it will take 7 hours. So I'm planning on leaving 8 hours of driving time. I-80 to New York to I-287 South (exit 43) to RT-24 (exit 37) to I-78E, exit 14A to Bayonne, Pulaski St, Hwy 440, left onto Port Terminal Blvd. Does this sound good? I've seen a few different routes while comparing google maps, with yahoo maps, with my gps. I plan to use my GPS.

After the cruise I thought my gf and I might enjoy a few of the sites in New York since she hasn't been there and I haven't been there since I was very young. I thought we might go and see the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building and Twin Tower Memorial. (Listed in order of what we'd most like based on the amount of time we have) First, do you think this is feasable? Second, should I drive the car to each place or find a place to park and take taxi's everywhere?

Thanks for any answers :D

~WaterCrazzy~

Mapquest says 7 hours 46 minutes - are you driving in the same day? That might be risky to do it all in one morning. Let's see what our experts say about the 287/24/78 route on a Saturday - I think I've heard suggestions that it's better to take 80 to the NJ Turnpike.

How much time do you have post-cruise? Are you staying overnight in the area? That is an ambitious list of things to see. The Twin Tower Memorial and SOL are in downtown Manhattan and the ESB and Central Park are in Midtown. SOL and ESB can be very time consuming if you actually want to go out to Liberty Island or up the building. What are your priorities? You definitely don't want to drive around Manhattan to do this. Let's see if we can come up with a plan for you depending on your time constraints.

Welcome to the new Cape Lib/Bayonne Info thread.....

Please post your questions here......and we will help!!

http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

Start there with my blog...and then come here with your questions...

Happy cruising!! 138east (carol) and I, along with many other locals/semi locals/frequent Bayonne cruisers are eager to help!!!

Hi!

I would like to know what the latest embarkation time is for a 5:00 departure. (I will be delivering my dogs to the kennel that morning and want to be sure I can make it to the ship on time)

I am a Diamond member, so I know I can get off the ship fairly early when we arrive back to Bayonne-- if I hire a car service, what time should I ask them to be there for me?

If I decide instead to drive to the pier, is the port parking safe? I've never left my car before, but it might be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Linda

You MUST be there 60 minutes ahead, but generally 90 minutes is recommended, so 3:30. How far are you coming? Generally, we suggest folks get there between 10:30 and 11 so they can be among the first to board and can enjoy the ship all afternoon. The NJ Turnpike is usually OK, but you never know - why cut it close if you really don't have to?

Meg can tell you about car services. I always drive and park. The port is at the end of a long peninsula that not open to the public except on sailing days - it is a secure area. The parking is inside a chain line fence. I've never had any problems. For us the cost of parking is about the same as a limo both ways. I like coming off the ship, hopping in the car, and hitting the road.

Archived