Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

What's your hotel budget? I'm seeing the Country Inns in Long Island City for $120 for Oct 24-28. Good reviews on Trip Advisor - comes with breakfast - right near the subway. Some reviewers felt the neighborhood was a bit sketchy, but I'll defer to the New Yorkers to comment about that. Just sounded like regular NYC to me.

We recommend the Country Inns in Elizabeth all the time as a precruise hotel for Cape Liberty -folks really seem to like what this chain does. It's definitely worth considering - 10-15 minutes closer to Manhattan than the Flushing hotels.

Definitely look at the reduced fare Metro card. Also familiarize yourselves with the NY/NJ maps and public transit maps so you know what your choices are.

I just wanted to thank the people doing this thread. We are on the EOS on April 15 and I have found this thread most valuable. I do have a question. We will take the hotel shuttle to the port - from Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ - but I am still trying to sort out transportation on our return. We are returning to the hotel for one last night before flying out on Sunday. Should I arrange for a car or are there taxis at the port when you get off? We have only boarded in Florida before and there were cabs available but I was not sure about Bayonne. Can someone let me know? Thanks for everything - I really appreciate it.

Bob

138east is correct...the hotel provides ROUND-TRIP port transfers. Here is a clip from their website:

Our Sleep & Cruise Package includes:

• Overnight cozy accommodations in one of our spacious guest rooms
  • Two round-trip transportation vouchers to Port of Bayonne, NJ
  • Complimentary continental breakfast buffet
  • Complimentary high-speed Internet access
  • Complimentary airport shuttle
  • Eight nights of parking available for an additional

We will be staying there pre-cruise this coming Wednesday night.

Thanks BND for your reply re: Dial 7. I did call them originally and now decided to use them once you said they came earlier than scheduled to pick you up. I'll also make my reservation for 9:30 just to be safe.

Susan,

Have a great cruise! Please post back about your experience at Country Inns. It's nice to have current information about a place that we recommend a lot.

Thanks to both of you and Susan, see you Wednesday night. I must have missed that about the shuttle when I read the stuff on the hotel. We are staying there for 1 night on our return so the shuttle back is perfect. I will definately post my views on the place. I have read mixed reviews on the various threads on CC and Tripadvisor but have seen that on many hotels I have stayed at and enjoyed so have an open mind.

Bob

I think we're particularly interested in how the shuttle works to and from the pier. Someone commented that they had to sign up for the shuttle when they checked into the hotel. Don't recall hearing comments on the return trip other than a drop off at the airport (where???) was possible as well as a return to the hotel.

Also don't recall any particularly negative comments about the hotel rooms themselves. Someone always doesn't like the breakfast offerings and someone frequently encounters a staff member who is not as helpful as they would like (hey - it's the NY metropolitan area - no southern charm here).

Flying into La G airport on the day we sail out in Sept.

Just the 2 of us in our mid 40's. Up to an adventure and a cheap way to the pier. Arrive at La G 11am and ship sails at 5.( Explorer )

Can anyone give me the bus info I need. I do see that the bus does stop at the La G airport and would assume I will need to transfer at some point. How long will this trip take ..aprox 45min if all trans are made on time. Please advise. We will be travelling light as this is only a 5 day cruise.

Thankx so much

ME

Do you realize that LaGuardia airport is in Queens, NY and that the Explorer sails from Bayonne, NJ? This trip could take you about 2 hours to do by public transit. What day of the week would this be? If your plane is at all late, I would definitely have a Plan B that included paying the $85-100 cab fare to Bayonne so that you make the ship.

Someone from NY will have to give you the directions as to how to get from LaGuardia to Herald Square (33rd & 6th) with one metro card fare. From Herald Square you take the Path train to Hoboken ($1.75). At Hoboken you change to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Bayonne ($1.90) and get off at 34th St. Then you need to call a cab to get to the pier ($8 + nice tip).

Archies: 201-858-8800

Cambell taxi: 201-339-8300

Yellow Cab: 201-339-5000

I see no reason why you can't do that. You will get through the traffic line much faster if you are just staying left and going through. I've often thought they could improve the traffic flow a lot if they would allow "parkers only" to turn left at the start of the circle and then go right directly into the parking. However, I'm sure they want to keep down the number of folks who are trolling luggage in from the parking lot. Each sailing has many people who have no clue.

138east: do you know whether the regular long-term parking is a gravel or paved lot? Trying to decide if we can park 1st and wheel our luggage with us. If we feel up to the challenge of skipping luggage drop-off, what are the directions to go directly to long-term parking? Or...can I drop my family off at luggage drop-off so they can get in line while I park the car and figure out how to use the car cover I bought (who knows how long that will take me)? Your comment regarding "each sailing has many people who have no clue" refers to me. :eek:

The long term parking is paved. You drive out a long peninsula - at the end the road goes around in a big circle counterclockwise and meets itself so you are going the reverse direction to leave. The drop off is about 3/4 of the way around the "circle". The parking is in the middle of the circle, but to get into it you must go all the way around past the drop off and make a left turn between some buildings to get to the parking entrance where you prepay for the cruise parking. This brings you back close to one end of the terminal, which is why it is such a quick walk. Nothing like airport parking - more like a mall parking lot.

I said that I thought you could just go by the drop off and continue directly to the parking, but another poster said that he tried to do that and they made him stop and drop his passengers off. Quite frankly it's such chaos there that I don't see how they can do that, particularly if you arrive early when there are still people leaving. Just stay to the left and keep going but don't miss the left turn into the parking.

The long term parking is paved. You drive out a long peninsula - at the end the road goes around in a big circle counterclockwise and meets itself so you are going the reverse direction to leave. The drop off is about 3/4 of the way around the "circle". The parking is in the middle of the circle, but to get into it you must go all the way around past the drop off and make a left turn between some buildings to get to the parking entrance where you prepay for the cruise parking. This brings you back close to one end of the terminal, which is why it is such a quick walk. Nothing like airport parking - more like a mall parking lot.

I said that I thought you could just go by the drop off and continue directly to the parking, but another poster said that he tried to do that and they made him stop and drop his passengers off. Quite frankly it's such chaos there that I don't see how they can do that, particularly if you arrive early when there are still people leaving. Just stay to the left and keep going but don't miss the left turn into the parking.

Is the parking well marked?

Thanks for your help (again!) Am I understanding correctly that it is actually closer to walk to the check-in area from long term parking than it is from the luggage drop-off area? And I would have to wheel my luggage past passenger check-in to get to the luggage drop-off? If so, it probably makes sense to sit in traffic and drop our luggage off first then park like we're 'supposed' to do.

Is the long term parking literally in the center of the rotary or did you mean the exit for the parking is off the 12 o'clock position of the rotary?

They put up a tent outside the terminal building and the drop off area is all along the tent. When you drop off, you get luggage tags from the porter for the checked bags and he takes them. You can then go to the terminal entrance - first there is a security checkpoint and then you get in line to check in.

The area at the end of the road is a big rough circular area - it's much much bigger than a rotary. The inside area of the "circle" is big enough for most of the parking. Think of a lollipop - you enter at 6 o'clock, you drive around counterclockwise to 8-9 o'clock, which is where the drop off is. You make a left at 7:30 (still part of the circle) and another left at 7:00 between two buildings to go back to the parking.

I'd drop everyone and the luggage off. Just make sure that each person has his or her cruise documents. That way your group can go through security and you can catch up with them at check-in.

They put up a tent outside the terminal building and the drop off area is all along the tent. When you drop off, you get luggage tags from the porter for the checked bags and he takes them. You can then go to the terminal entrance - first there is a security checkpoint and then you get in line to check in.

The area at the end of the road is a big rough circular area - it's much much bigger than a rotary. The inside area of the "circle" is big enough for most of the parking. Think of a lollipop - you enter at 6 o'clock, you drive around counterclockwise to 8-9 o'clock, which is where the drop off is. You make a left at 7:30 (still part of the circle) and another left at 7:00 between two buildings to go back to the parking.

I'd drop everyone and the luggage off. Just make sure that each person has his or her cruise documents. That way your group can go through security and you can catch up with them at check-in.

Darn. One of my daughters is on my cruise doc. Guess she has to come with me to park? Our other daughter is on my husband's cruise doc (we have 2 cabins) so I could drop them off.

Sorry - I wasn't really clear. By cruise documents I meant your passport and a copy of the set sail pass. I don't think it matters who is linked to whom. But you definitely need ID to get in the door and a copy of the set sail pass.

Do you realize that LaGuardia airport is in Queens, NY and that the Explorer sails from Bayonne, NJ? This trip could take you about 2 hours to do by public transit. What day of the week would this be? If your plane is at all late, I would definitely have a Plan B that included paying the $85-100 cab fare to Bayonne so that you make the ship.

Someone from NY will have to give you the directions as to how to get from LaGuardia to Herald Square (33rd & 6th) with one metro card fare. From Herald Square you take the Path train to Hoboken ($1.75). At Hoboken you change to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Bayonne ($1.90) and get off at 34th St. Then you need to call a cab to get to the pier ($8 + nice tip).

Archies: 201-858-8800

Cambell taxi: 201-339-8300

Yellow Cab: 201-339-5000

I did realize that the explorer was in NJ..

I thought this was about a 20mile drive.

We arrive on the Sat at 11, and was hoping to be at the port by 12:30

uugh..did not think it would be that difficult.

Thankx for the info.

Sorry to bother folks again but I have a question. We are staying in Elizabeth, NJ at the Country Inn and Suites (which you probably know from earlier posts :)). We arrive in NJ on Wednesday and would like to go into NYC. I know about the bus service at the Mall but it only seems to run on the hour. I wondered about the ferry service but I am not sure if there is a stop closer to us or should be go into Hoboken? The other option I thought of was a cab to Newark Penn Station and then train to NYC. I have 2 kids and want the fastest way into the city, even if it costs a little bit more. I have read the postings which explain how it costs more to go from the Airport than other stops so do not want to get the shuttle back to the airport. The kids will find the ferry or the train neat so what would be fastest and easiest? Thanks again for all the help.

Hi 138 east, seems like you are the point person. We will be traveling the opposite direction on Sunday, April 25th from the pier to LGA for a 5:00pm flight. I understand that I can take a cab to the light rail station, however which one? Do we change lines in Hoboken to get into Manhattan? Where in Manhattan does the train go? And where is the Port Authority located, it's been far too many years since I've been into NYC?

Thanks for all your help.

Dona

There is a light rail station at 34th Street in Bayonne on route 440. When you go to the port you will pass it on your right. The cab fare is supposed to be $8 plus tip. The light rail is $1.90/pp. When you get to Hoboken you change to the PATH trains to 33rd Street in Manhattan. The fare is $1.75. You will arrive at 33rd and 6th, which is Herald Square (Macy's). Port Authority is 41st and 8th. You can walk (10 minutes) or take a cab. If you want to check your bags while you wander around, look at Schwartz Travel (http://schwartztravel.com/) on 36th St. between 8th & 9th Aves. It is a relatively short walk from Schwartz to Port Authority.

There is a bus from Bayonne to PA, but service is hourly on Sunday and there might not be a covered area to wait if the weather is bad. There is no luggage storage on the bus whereas there should be ample room on the light rail.

Thanks 138east for the great info. Someone had mentioned to me that I should go to Exchange Place Path Station to pick up the light rail from Cape Liberty to get into Manhattan. Is that a question of security? Thanks also for the info on Schwartz, if all goes well we can get lunch in Manhattan before heading out to LGA and not have to worry about luggage.

Dona

try this....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=la+guardia+airport&daddr=151+West+34th+Street,+New+York,+NY+10001+(Macys)&geocode=FYcrbgIdis2Y-ym1TUKDiV_CiTGzZpYOZsQvdw%3BFXbPbQIdnP-W-yHlR1Qon-a2AClXUM2zrlnCiTFFkYCewbnXpw&hl=en&mra=cc&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=04%2F12%2F10&time=2:13pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=40.753239,-73.929749&sspn=0.06918,0.169086&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13&start=0

looks like several changes...

http://www.mta.info/

i can't figure out how to link the words...sorry.....but go to mta.info and plug in laguardia airport and macys and you'll get some options on google transit

Archived