Snorkel Gear

This will be my second cruise but I'm wondering if I could have saved some money the first time around. Can I bring my own snorkeling gear and use it in the ports? I found a set for only $15 (doesn't include the fins) but it sure is alot less than the $50+ excursions and i can use it multiple times! I hope so anyway... let me know!

My OH always takes his own equipment, whether it's in the Caribbean or the Red Sea. I usually have the fins in my case.....he finished his last swim at lunch time on departure day the other week, so I sat on deck furiously drying things before the airport bus came for us.......:eek:

jocap.

Some of the Caribbean ports have a high import duty on snorkel equipment. I don’t remember which ones. You might be able to sell or donate your equipment to someone at your last port of call and save space in your luggage for things that you’d have better use for at home.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

This will be my second cruise but I'm wondering if I could have saved some money the first time around. Can I bring my own snorkeling gear and use it in the ports? I found a set for only $15 (doesn't include the fins) but it sure is alot less than the $50+ excursions and i can use it multiple times! I hope so anyway... let me know!

We bring our snorkel gear as well. But spend a little money an get a good mask and dry snorkel - you will appreciated it. We also bring our fins but we purchased some "Slim Fins" which are pretty small and we pack them in our carry ons. They are great for snorkeling.

Yes! I bought my own gear 15+ years ago and it always travels with me when snorkeling is on the menu. It's paid for itself many times over (with what it would have cost to rent). The fins are a little bulky to carry, but they do squeeze into my backpack and barely take up any space in my luggage.

Not sure what the poster above meant by import taxes? I assume the OP would be buying the gear at home and taking it with her on vacation, rather than buying it in a port.

Read on-line reviews of the cheap gear (found on Amazon and other places.) You see far too many comments like straps breaking the first time you put them on, snorkels leaking, mask edges creased so they leak terribly. Buy some halfway decent stuff. The time you have cruising is much too precious to risk the aggravation that goes with cheap stuff.

All great advice! "BIG Steve"...what brands or what price range should I be looking at to be considered "half way decent"? We are first time cruisers and were thinking about buying rather than renting but then we don't want to pay too much as we likely won't be using it often after the cruise but don't want to be dissappointed with cheap stuff that breaks. Thanks.

All great advice! "BIG Steve"...what brands or what price range should I be looking at to be considered "half way decent"? We are first time cruisers and were thinking about buying rather than renting but then we don't want to pay too much as we likely won't be using it often after the cruise but don't want to be dissappointed with cheap stuff that breaks. Thanks.

Check this thread for good info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975690&highlight=free+shipping

We have a scuba and snorkeling forum here, lots of helpful folks.

I use http://www.leisurepro.com/ quite a lot. They have reviews, and many of them are written by folks who have been diving and snorkeling for years. Watch their sales. You can sometimes get great quality stuff for a song, and sometimes free shipping too. I love those guys.........

I didn't want to use rentals on our cruise either, and we got masks and snorkels at a scuba shop. We went with the low end to keep the cost down, but we were able to make sure the masks fit properly. If the edge of the mask is too close to the eyes or back into your hairline it will leak terribly and you will be purging the mask the entire time in the water. I would check out a local scuba store's clearance section first.

Also, keep in mind that you probably won't want to snorkel on a beach right next to the pier - sea life will be much more abundant away from the "water traffic".

Have fun!

Archived