Captain's Luncheon

ONT-CA

Full room service for supper Elite! Now thay is something to cruise more for!

We are pushing for 200 days on Princess...too bad we have sailed on other lines also...several years ago we did a cruise on the Regal during her last year...close to the end and made the lunch cut, very nice! We had just made elite too! Since then the cruises we have picked including one on a small ship have been packed with cruisers with big time days...on the Tahitian last year the top cruisers had 500+ and the two runner ups both had over 400 days....

You would have had to have been on a long cruise on the Tahitian--because when we were Platinum we were invited to the luncheon--they had hit the bottom of the barrel--this was on a FP 10 day cruise. Of course since then I always wanted to go to the luncheon--Being elite now only counts when there are a lot of folks on the ship with blue or gold cards..okay we're gettin our share of invitations now--but--NO PRIZES.

Nancy:D:D

So they can have supper in their cabin!

Sorry, of course, super...just a typo that wasn't caught.... so we can have supper in our cabin without having to book a suite..... or sail more often on Seabourn.

You would have had to have been on a long cruise on the Tahitian--because when we were Platinum we were invited to the luncheon--they had hit the bottom of the barrel--this was on a FP 10 day cruise. Of course since then I always wanted to go to the luncheon--Being elite now only counts when there are a lot of folks on the ship with blue or gold cards..okay we're gettin our share of invitations now--but--NO PRIZES.

Nancy:D:D

Yes, it was a longer cruise... last year's around the world cruise.

Unfortunately, you are right about getting an invite to the luncheon. We like longer cruises, but only do one about once a year, Unfortunately for us, so do many people that have 300+ days. We will be on the Pacific for 29 days in the fall, bet we aren't any where close to going much less getting a prize!

Have heard reports of one couple, who would qualify by almost any super elite standards, trampling the riff raff to get to the front of a tender line
I think I've sailed on the same cruise with that couple. :D

The super-elite sounds great - Cunard did this a couple a years back when they added the Diamond level to their program, though Cunard's loyalty program is no where near as good as Princess's.

I'd say 250-300 days, or 25-30 cruises for us lucky west coasters. ;)

For those of you who have cruised on RCCL. They have Diamond Plus where they have a lounge that has coffee, cappuccino, snacks, breakfast, lunch spreads, free drinks (alcohol) in the evening, plus other things and a person who helps guests out. We thought that was very convenient and more of a service to help the guests book specialty restaurants. Menus were available, magazines, etc. HAL also has this for suite guests.

However, anything that Princess does special for Elite Plus should remain as Elite Plus. Originally Princess started the evening special drink and eats for Elite only. Then they allowed Platinum in too. Just like the embarkation and debarkation lounges. They were for Elite and now it is Elite and Platinum. It just gets too crowded.

I'm sure this will get a lot of remarks form the Elite and Platinum. Sorry, but we are talking about Elite Plus

However, anything that Princess does special for Elite Plus should remain as Elite Plus. I'm sure this will get a lot of remarks form the Elite and Platinum. Sorry, but we are talking about Elite Plus

Remarks from me would be "I totally agree". :) :)

However, anything that Princess does special for Elite Plus should remain as Elite Plus. Originally Princess started the evening special drink and eats for Elite only. Then they allowed Platinum in too. ..... They were for Elite and now it is Elite and Platinum. It just gets too crowded.

I have yet to see the evening lounge have more than 6-8 people in it, even when platinum are invited. If this were limited to elite only, I am sure it would have been discontinued by now for lack of use.

I have yet to see the evening lounge have more than 6-8 people in it, even when platinum are invited. If this were limited to elite only, I am sure it would have been discontinued by now for lack of use.

What evening lounge are you talking about? If it is the new evening $5.00 drink and snacks, I can see why. I am talking about something that RCCL has. Totally different and on RCCL it is really attended.

Originally it was restricted to Elite and Suites. It was expanded to include Platinums during the summer or fall.

Originally it was restricted to Elite and Suites. It was expanded to include Platinums during the summer or fall.

In reality this is not the same thing as RCCL's. I don't consider a $5.00 special and some snacks as a big perk. If it was that good, it would have been a hit and not having to be open to Platinum, too.

In reality this is not the same thing as RCCL's. I don't consider a $5.00 special and some snacks as a big perk. If it was that good, it would have been a hit and not having to be open to Platinum, too.
I have to agree with this.

Nothing like a free drink to bring out every person with the status to be offered it. ;)

Pia, last fall on the Pacific, it was held in Sabatinis on nights it was closed, Sterlings on the others. We stopped in on our way to the steakhouse one night as we were a little early for our reservation. There was one couple there that were so happy to see us as they said they had come up four nights in a row, and they were the only ones there. Now agreed, this is a much smaller ship, and before it was open to Platinum also. But it just didn't seem to be going over very well at all. I know it didn't really interest us that much. I think it's the food thing. That last thing I need before dinner is MORE FOOD. :(

Now, a glass of wine would have been nice, I mean one that was complimentary. But I can buy a drink at any bar, I don't need to go upstairs to puchase a drink. lol

Pia, last fall on the Pacific, it was held in Sabatinis on nights it was closed, Sterlings on the others. We stopped in on our way to the steakhouse one night as we were a little early for our reservation. There was one couple there that were so happy to see us as they said they had come up four nights in a row, and they were the only ones there. Now agreed, this is a much smaller ship, and before it was open to Platinum also. But it just didn't seem to be going over very well at all. I know it didn't really interest us that much. I think it's the food thing. That last thing I need before dinner is MORE FOOD. :(

Now, a glass of wine would have been nice, I mean one that was complimentary. But I can buy a drink at any bar, I don't need to go upstairs to puchase a drink. lol

Yep, we wouldn't be heading up there...don't need the extra food, nor to pay for wine...

Now, on RCCL we do go for our free glass of wine before dinner with our Diamond perk....

If I can't get laundry and internet from RCCL....

I'm definately going for my FREE drink

Last fall on the Coral it was in a corner of Explorers which was not a great venue and the attendance was not that great. Not sure what a better location would be.

But on the Ruby a few weeks ago it was in Skywalkers, which was completely closed, and it was fairly busy. Skywalkers is a great location since usually we went to watch the sailaway and stayed for some snacks.

The poor Blue Cards & Gold Cards really end up paying for these perks (higher fares for everyone but no benefits for them).

I think you are incorrect on this one. There are no free drinks, just a few appeitizers, so I would not consider this one of those deals where the cruise line forked out a bunch of money for a cocktail hour or anything else. You seem to have a bug in your bonnet lately, is there some problem we don't know about?:confused:

Free Drinks have been suggested above! I detest overt class distinctions such as reserved lounges for Elites. Everyone has paid for the lounges. Privileges such as free laundry, umpteen bar set-ups, full room service menus which are private perks are fine with me. I do make that distinction. I was offended when the whole Skywalker on the Ruby was set aside (although I was eligible to use it). If this is done, put it in the Patter and announce it as a permanent sign that Skywalker is closed from 5pm to 7pm for the Blue & Gold throughout the cruise.

I think you are incorrect on this one. There are no free drinks, just a few appeitizers, so I would not consider this one of those deals where the cruise line forked out a bunch of money for a cocktail hour or anything else. You seem to have a bug in your bonnet lately, is there some problem we don't know about?:confused:

I agree that it is not as good as RCCL's, but you really have to takethe whole loyalty programs and compare them. I think Princess comes out well ahead.

Free Drinks have been suggested above! I detest overt class distinctions such as reserved lounges for Elites. Everyone has paid for the lounges. Privileges such as free laundry, umpteen bar set-ups, full room service menus which are private perks are fine with me. I do make that distinction. I was offended when the whole Skywalker on the Ruby was set aside (although I was eligible to use it). If this is done, put it in the Patter and announce it as a permanent sign that Skywalker is closed from 5pm to 7pm for the Blue & Gold throughout the cruise.

I have been on 4 cruises since this benefit was added and there has been never more than 1/2 of Skywalkers used.There was plenty of space for other passengers.We normally get appetizers from the HC and enjoy them on our balcony but now go to Skywalkers every evening.

I agree that it is not as good as RCCL's, but you really have to takethe whole loyalty programs and compare them. I think Princess comes out well ahead.

I don't believe we are talking about the complete loyalty programs and comparing them. We are discussing Princess' recommended Elite + perks or just suggesting one. This has nothing to do with closing a lounge as that happens all the time. What about a wedding closing a lounge or whatever. That happens and as they say in Jamaica 'Pooooo Poooo Happens.' LOL

But I have been. Actually, I then requested that half the Skywalker should be open to everyone especially because it is a great place for sailaways!

Private functions (say weddings) in lounges are very infrequent and bring revenues that lower the cost of cruises for everyone.

But let us get the discussion back to super elites. No more rebuttals or posts from me on this thread.

I have been on 4 cruises since this benefit was added and there has been never more than 1/2 of Skywalkers used.There was plenty of space for other passengers.We normally get appetizers from the HC and enjoy them on our balcony but now go to Skywalkers every evening.

The way the Elite & Platinum have been attending it'll probably be open to the Gold members very soon.

Archived