Captain's Luncheon

ONT-CA

In times of Elite cut backs it was refreshing to be invited to the Captain's Luncheon aboard the Island Princess. We were not aware of this perk. Mind you, it is only those who have sailed with Princess with the greatest number of days who are invited. Therefore, depending on who is aboard and how many sea days they have with Princess, one may or may not be invited to this affair with a designated maximum seating. We lucked out in that the absence of more recurrant sailors aboard allowed us to be included which may or may not be a one-time occurrence but a very delightful occurrence indeed.

In times of Elite cut backs it was refreshing to be invited to the Captain's Luncheon aboard the Island Princess. We were not aware of this perk. Mind you, it is only those who have sailed with Princess with the greatest number of days who are invited. Therefore, depending on who is aboard and how many sea days they have with Princess, one may or may not be invited to this affair with a designated maximum seating. We lucked out in that the absence of more recurrant sailors aboard allowed us to be included which may or may not be a one-time occurrence but a very delightful occurrence indeed.

What elite cutbacks are you talking about?:confused:

The only Elite cutback I know of is when they began the limited internet access when they switched the internet to a different type (a few years ago). Other than that, none that I have heard of, in fact, they have added some, like the evening cocktail hour. :confused::confused:

Captains Luncheon for Elite is hit and miss, as was stated it depends on how many Elite and # of sea days. We have been invited on a couple of cruises and not on others. On the the last cruise they dropped to high Platinum because not enough elite. You never know !

The minimum number of days lately seem to be around 300 or so and I doubt if they will cut back on this perk since it only involves the top 40 cruisers. When you really think about it, other than a few drinks & possibly a photo, it doesn't cost then all that much extra.

The minimum number of days lately seem to be around 300 or so and I doubt if they will cut back on this perk since it only involves the top 40 cruisers. When you really think about it, other than a few drinks & possibly a photo, it doesn't cost then all that much extra.

The food is normally really great! Would rather have the lunch than the cocktail party. JMHO

The food is normally really great! Would rather have the lunch than the cocktail party. JMHO

AGREE !!! our first cocktail party was on the

Emerald--can't compare in several ways to the luncheon--quite possibly you will be at a coctail table for 2 as they pass the goodies--not the friendliness as the luncheon--Yes--you do get the picture !!

We have lucked out in the last 6 or 7 years. I think there were only one or two sailings that we didn't make the cut for the Captain's Luncheon/Cocktail party. But, I can only remember one cocktail party on the Star Princess Med cruise and all the rest have been luncheons. I have to agree, the food at the luncheons are not to be missed and usually much better than the regular dining room food. In both quality and presentation, and even service has always been a cut above. The cocktail parties do not excite me in the least, and I doubt we will even attend if there is one on any of our future sailings. But I won't miss the luncheons if an invite happens to come my way.

I like the luncheon also, but have only been invited to a few. We did have one that was an evening cocktail buffet and the hostess said "don't eat, we'll have a lovely buffet. It was O.K. but would rather have a luncheon. The hostess says it is up to the Captain as to whether he has a luncheon or cocktail party. I guess even he has to mix it up a little.

We have lucked out in the last 6 or 7 years. I think there were only one or two sailings that we didn't make the cut for the Captain's Luncheon/Cocktail party. But, I can only remember one cocktail party on the Star Princess Med cruise and all the rest have been luncheons. I have to agree, the food at the luncheons are not to be missed and usually much better than the regular dining room food. In both quality and presentation, and even service has always been a cut above. The cocktail parties do not excite me in the least, and I doubt we will even attend if there is one on any of our future sailings. But I won't miss the luncheons if an invite happens to come my way.

Totally agree with your remarks. We would rather have a lunch than the party. Have had the cparty in the Library 1 time and you could not even move around it was so small and crowded. Lunch is the only way to do it!!!

I agree with Toto... we avoid the cocktail parties and enjoy the lunch. On our Coral cruise in January, it was the first time I'd been invited to one of the lunches, which was great. I've found in the past, and perhaps this is just the cruises/itineraries we take, that you probably need at least 250 days or more to be invited to the luncheon.

At the lunch on the Coral, I was seated next to the Captain's Circle Host, Joy. She was asked whether there was an additional level above Elite in the planning and she said, they're thinking of it but with the economy, nothing concrete. She then asked for suggestions. My suggestions, which wouldn't cost the company a lot of money because the limited number of people included as well as slippage, would be free soda, free specialty coffee and the option to have breakfast in Sabatinis for those who qualified for the lunch. This could be implemented with a sticker on the card (easy and inexpensive to do) and you'd make those "special" Elite on the cruise happy campers. Some of them are unable to make it to the lunch which means they miss out on this 'perk.' Joy thought that was a great suggestion... so we'll see.

The sabatinis breakfast allowing a higher tier to use it IMHO would not work all the time. They know how many passengers they have with suites, where if there were a bunch of higher tier passengers, it could make sabatinis too crowded. The suites are paying a big premium which a lot of elites do not, I know a lot of people always get the cheaper cabin and are able to rack up a lot of cruises/days. We personally rotate the type of cabin we get, last year was our first suite. We won't get a suite often, so when we do, Sabatinis is a great perk (sabatinis and unlimited internet has my husband not minding if I can find a deal for a suite.)

Now if they would just inlcude more internet minutes, maybe half price drink or coffee cards. They could also try a discounted punch card for so many alcoholic drinks. Maybe a percentage discount off 1 shore excursion.

The sabatinis breakfast allowing a higher tier to use it IMHO would not work all the time. They know how many passengers they have with suites, where if there were a bunch of higher tier passengers, it could make sabatinis too crowded. The suites are paying a big premium which a lot of elites do not, I know a lot of people always get the cheaper cabin and are able to rack up a lot of cruises/days. We personally rotate the type of cabin we get, last year was our first suite. We won't get a suite often, so when we do, Sabatinis is a great perk (sabatinis and unlimited internet has my husband not minding if I can find a deal for a suite.)

Now if they would just inlcude more internet minutes, maybe half price drink or coffee cards. They could also try a discounted punch card for so many alcoholic drinks. Maybe a percentage discount off 1 shore excursion.

I totally agree about the Sabatinis Breakfast. It would take away the personal touch given to full suite guests and have a line outside waiting to be seated, or servers working as they do in the dining rooms. Full suite guests receive a lot of perks INSIDE their stateroom, but very few outside. It is nice to know that in that ridiculous full suite price, (lol) we are able to have a very nice quiet breakfast cooked to order, without the roar in the dining rooms or the HC. Although there are many other options that could be given to the Elite passengers, I sure hope they don't take away the full suite perk of breakfast at Sabatinis or include a larger group that was eligible for it, or I might have to rethink booking full suites at that price. It was the deal breaker when deciding for us if it would be a mini or a full suite. I would love to see Princess include a full room service breakfast delivered to elite guests though. (no offense to any elite passengers). ;)

Surely don't need anymore Internet Free Minutes. As for the breakfast - sounds good. However, I could never justify paying for a suite just to get a free breakfast in the SAB. For the difference in price between a suite and a breakfast in SAB, I am sure I could find the best breakfast somewhere else a lot cheaper and possibly much more to choose from. Like they say - 'different strokes for different folks.' Happy Cruising at the higher level!

Why not a free meal in the Capital Grill or even 1/2 off?

Surely don't need anymore Internet Free Minutes. As for the breakfast - sounds good. However, I could never justify paying for a suite just to get a free breakfast in the SAB. For the difference in price between a suite and a breakfast in SAB, I am sure I could find the best breakfast somewhere else a lot cheaper and possibly much more to choose from. Like they say - 'different strokes for different folks.' Happy Cruising at the higher level!

Why not a free meal in the Capital Grill or even 1/2 off?

You mean the Crown Grill? That would be good a free or half off meal in the specialty diningroom.

I totally agree about the Sabatinis Breakfast. It would take away the personal touch given to full suite guests and have a line outside waiting to be seated, or servers working as they do in the dining rooms. Full suite guests receive a lot of perks INSIDE their stateroom, but very few outside. It is nice to know that in that ridiculous full suite price, (lol) we are able to have a very nice quiet breakfast cooked to order, without the roar in the dining rooms or the HC. Although there are many other options that could be given to the Elite passengers, I sure hope they don't take away the full suite perk of breakfast at Sabatinis or include a larger group that was eligible for it, or I might have to rethink booking full suites at that price. It was the deal breaker when deciding for us if it would be a mini or a full suite. I would love to see Princess include a full room service breakfast delivered to elite guests though. (no offense to any elite passengers). ;)
In this, I disagree with you. The total number of Elite who would qualify for the Captain's lunch is 40 (including 1 guest) and I think there would be a lot of slippage, i.e., few would take advantage of it. And, if you've cruised 250+ days on Princess, IMHO you've earned the right for an additional perk as that represents a lot of money/loyalty. For those of you in suites who go to breakfast at Sabatinis, is there a line now? Do you think they could handle perhaps 10 more people at a time?

There are so many Elite now that Princess needs to step up and add a little something "extra" for those who are "super" Elite. A Coke or coffee isn't enough.

at the luncheon is it the top 20 cruisers plus their partener
Yes. Partner or guest. At my Coral Princess luncheon, quite a few didn't bring anyone for a variety of reasons and there were several empty tables in Sabatinis where it was held.

There are so many Elite now that Princess needs to step up and add a little something "extra" for those who are "super" Elite. A Coke or coffee isn't enough.

Pam, I totally agree that Princess could add something for those over 250 days (heck, I am over 250 days and I don't always book a full suite). But I think Sabatinis breakfast isn't what needs to be added, but I do agree something else fitting to their/our loyalty would be very nice.

I feel adding Sabatinis breakfast each morning for those that qualify would just cause problems with other Elite members that did not. Hopefully, Princess will come up with something totally seperate for those 'super' elite that makes them feel special for the loyalty over the years to Princess.

We were lucky enough to be up-graded to a full suite on both the Crown and the Emerald--this January--we didn't miss a day--I can't say that there were ever more than 4 or maybe 5 tables being used when we were there--The only other time we've had Sabatinis breakfast was on the Pacific--it was good--but I'm afraid that both the Crown and Emerald were better--I hate to say that because the Pacific/Tahitian/Royal are my favorite ships now.

Nancy:D

I agree about the cocktail parties. I've been invited to a couple. Attended one and skipped the second. I've never been good at balancing a drink in one hand and a plate of food in the other. I enjoy the luncheons so much more and wouldn't think of skipping one of them. I also think the food is better than in the dining room. The luncheon really makes me feel like Princess appreciates my sailing with them.

...At the lunch on the Coral, I was seated next to the Captain's Circle Host, Joy. She was asked whether there was an additional level above Elite in the planning and she said, they're thinking of it but with the economy, nothing concrete. She then asked for suggestions. .

We believe the question of Breakfast at Sabatini's was related to a possible passenger designation above Elite. Should that be, say, 300+ days that shouldn't place too much strain on Sabatini's. When last in a suite aboard the Emerald, we noted that there were never more than three tables occupied in Sabatini's for breakfast.

Archived